Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Toolbar overflow when using a dual-monitor set up

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 
I use Photoshop on my primary monitor, and I have an additional monitor to my left. When using photoshop, the tool selection overflows to my left monitor instead of remaining on the primary monitor, and I cant find out how to disable this "overflow" setting:

samr80542984_0-1677721230117.png

This can become quite annoying, as you can imagine. I have googled different phrasing of this, and have come up blank. Thank you for any assistance!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your display settings?

image.png

Is your toolbar docked to the screen edge?  I am guessing here, but I suspect it might be becuase your toolbar is floating.

image.png

When you get it right, save it with your default dual monitor workspace.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! The toolbar is docked, but you did give me an idea: Undocking the toolbar and moving it about 10px from the edge seems to solve the issue, kind of annoying that I can't dock it though. When I do dock it I get an "overflow" of blue onto the second monitor:

samr80542984_0-1677722627095.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do dock it I get an "overflow" of blue onto the second monitor:

By @samr80542984

Check your display settings. (right click the Windows Desktop).  It's not possible to move one screen away from another, but try dragging the second screen to see where it springs to.  

It might be Photoshop glitching the display settings which could be a video driver issue, or even a Preference issue.  If nothing else fixes it, try resetting Preferences.  It never stops amazing me what issues can be fixed with a Preferences reset.

What version of Photoshop are you using? Try experimenting with these settings.

image.png

The bottom line is, and I am not 100% on this, if the toolbar is docked, I don't think it can overflow into the left hand screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I'd posted a response but obviously not! Thanks for the assistance, I tried a bunch of combinations but still can't get it to stop overflowing. Luckily I don't use PS too often and so it isn't a detriment to my daily life aha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. Reseted preferences, reinstalled Photoshop, tried everything. If the toolbar is docked, it overflow to the left screen. Started happening after 24.2 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, have you found a fix? I know I can just have my toolbar floating but it's super annoying that way. Been looking everywhere and this is the only post I can find with the same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with Photshop v24.2 on Windows 11, haven't solved it yet aside from leaving the toolbar undocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Haven't found a fix yet. For now there are two options; undocking the toolbar or not maximizing Photoshop.
The problem is the Photoshop doesn't maximize properly, and thinks its rolling over onto the next monitor.
You can clearly see that it even cuts off the ruler as well.
Screenshot 2023-04-19 172743.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you using the left hand screen?  If your custom workspace has content imediately left of the toolbar, then I am wondering if Photoshop would know not to cover those panels with Toolbar pop-outs?  Unfortunately, I can't test it right now as I am setting up a new system, and my left hand screen is being used by the old system.

It might be worth making sure that Overscroll is turned on.  AFAIK it does not affect the UI as such, but it does affect how document windows are displayed.  So a long shot but worth trying.

image.png

My other thought is that if you have multiple monitors, are you making full use of them?  If you have no Toolbar pop-outs then they can overflow into the left hand screen.  My main screen is 32" 2560 X 1440 which I use with the UI set to 100% (because my eyesight is not great).  The only pop-outs I still have are for the Brush and Type tools.  The former has the shortcuts removed from everything but the Brush tool so I have to use the mouse to select the Pencil and other brushes.  The Toolbar is expanded and everything else has its own space.  I also have the Shift key turned off for selecting tools — why use the extra key if you don't need to?   Just a thought.  It has worked for me for more years than I can remember.

image.png

I'll try and remember to test this when I get back to my three screen workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that's a Windows 11 bug that's supposed to be fixed in the just released photoshop 2023 (ps ver 24.1.1) update

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the same issue on Photoshop 2024 on Windows 11. I still have tooltips showing up on my secondary monitor to the left

The workaround that has worked best for me is to run photoshop floating with and nearly fullscreen.

Here's an example where the tooltip should be displaying to the right, but is displaying almost exclusively on my secondary screen

default28319867xehnd2_0-1695743825948.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I also see the description tooltip displaying on the left secondary monitor in the most recent version.  However I'm glad they at least fixed the location of the tool selection menu, that was far more annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having this issue in windows 10. using version 25.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines