Exit

Transform tool and Bounding Box issues in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Version of the App) Adobe Photoshop 2021 - Version 22.5.1

(Platform and OS version) Desktop PC with Windows 10

(Basic Steps to Reproduce the Problem) Select and move a layer with the move tool, and resize a layer with the move tool via transform

(Expected result and actual result) Expected result: Bounding box appears around selected layer, allowing me to click and drag the edges to transform it. Actual result: No bounding box appears. If you happen to click the outside edge of the layer, the bounding box will appear and begin to scale the layer even if the mouse button isn't held down (not typical), and the bounding box will remain visible outside of the work area.

Photoshop has been giving me some problems after the recent update, specifically with transforming/resizing layers with the move tool. I am typically able to select a layer with the move tool and a bounding box will appear on the outer edges, allowing me to easily see the entire selection and transform it. Now when I attempt the same thing, no bounding box appears. If I happen to guess where the outer edge of the layer is, the transform option will open (straight line box around edge instead of dotted line) and begin transforming the layer even if I don't hold the mouse down. On top of this, when I deselect the layer after doing this, the outer box remains visible outside of the work area. This is quite distracting for me. I tried playing around with preferences, pressing ctrl + h to hide/unhide the bounding box, clearing the cache, restarting photoshop, restarting my computer, and resetting the photoshop preferences to default. Nothing has helped.

Any assistance on this matter would be appreciated. I attached a (poor quality) image of my issue below in the hopes that it would be helpful to someone here. Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can't reproduce the issue with Photoshop version 22.5.1 on Windows 10, try renaming the "Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings" folder to "Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings.old" the preference folder will be recreated with you launch Photoshop.

Location C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021

Of that doesn't help try using the Adobe cleaner tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ged_Traynor I tried the renaming fix and the problem wasn't solved. I'm hesitant to install a tool to fix this issue, however. I'll give it a bit to see if I get any other suggestions before downloading another program. Thank you for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I see that show transform controls is on in the option bar, so it is not that the issue...

Please try to check "Deactivate Native Canvas" in the menu Edit/Preferences/Technology preview (Pc) or Photoshop/Preferences/Technology preview (Mac) .
This is not a fix, but rather a way to check if the issue appears only with the new technology, and should be reported to the Ps team.

Pinging @J453 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem, for months now. When I click the "Deactivate Native Canvas" button in the preferences, it behaves normally. @PECourtejoie  You said this is not a fix, so what do you recommend we do next?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually, the cause is either very out of date display drivers, or a GPU that does not meet the recommended minimum power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is possible. It's been a bit of a confusing mess actually since I've had to switch computers and offices several times, reinstalling photoshop each time. I've settled for reverting to version 22.0, which seems to fix all my issues. Thank you for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same issue. Windows 10. Ps23.1. I don't have a fix for this but one thing I've found to quickly get the bounding box outside the canvas to show quickly is to hold down the space bar and drag the mouse a bit like you're going to move the document around on the screen. It's an extra step that will add time to your workflow which sucks but at least you can get the box back quickly.

It is so unbelievable how many bugs this program has now.

sameissue.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion!

I "fixed" the issue by reverting to a much earlier version of photoshop.

I won't be able to install any updates ever, but for what I do it seems to be working.

I appreciate your response! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and do not want to go back to an old version; I just want them to fix this - I have used Photoshop from the very beginning 1.0; this is a new problem and a real pain in the backside that should never have been changed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure what I did but I seemed to have fixed the issue - when I hover over the layer item I get the box - but if the image is the full size of the layer I still have issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, it has been super annoying for me as well.

I use photoshop daily at work and having an issue like this really hurt my productivity, so I did the only thing I could think of to fix it.

Hopefully they'll realize this is an issue affecting more than one person and fix it, soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines