• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to do a complete clean uninstall and re-install of Photoshop 2023 CC

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to uninstall Photoshop and reinstall clean. I have uninstalled through CC and checked the option to remove preferences. I have also uninstalled all plugins through CC app.After uninstall I deleted the PS 2023 Settings folder.

The re-install is clearly still grabbing the filters and legacy extensions from the uninstalled version. I am looking for a re-install as if PS had nver been installed on my system. I know I could use the CC Cleaner app, but I have way to much tied up in Lightroom to delete it as well.

Any advice appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mrchips109 sorry you are having issues, is this the process you tried to uninstall/install?

Close Photoshop
Restart the computer
Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Photoshop
Restart the computer
Install Photoshop via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.
Restart the computer
LaunchPhotoshop

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your computer in this location for other resources:

Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]

Nuke this folder and other previous versions before reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try running the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to remove all traces of the Adobe software before reinstalling it (yet again):  https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog The OP doesn't want to remove Lightroom in the process so is trying to avoid the CC Cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed the process. When relaunched. it had all of my old brushes, legacy extensions, and filters. THe plugin submenu was available.

Closed and restarted and plugin panel submenu was grayed out. I can only get the panel to show if I got to general prefs and click on option to delete prefs on quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you install Photoshop, it keeps a sort of checklist of all the files created during install. When you uninstall, it essentially goes back through this list and removes those same items. This means that if you added content, like presets, plugins, brushes, etc, they could be left behind. The advantage can be reinstalling retains cour content but we also don't like auto-deleting files that we did not create.

You should check to see if you still have a Photoshop folder in your Applications (Mac) or Program Files (Win) folder. If it is present, it means there was content added to the folder after install. Deleting it should clear this all out. 

Another thing to check is to see whether or not you have synced your presets. If you have, they are backed up in the cloud and they could just be syncing back down into Photoshop. More info here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/sync-presets.html

Also, the Cleaner Tool doesn't clean up nearly as much as people fear. It's main job is to remove installer support files, like the checklist mentioned above. There is also a database that tracks what applications you've installed. If you remove the app without removing the database record of the app, CCD could think it's still installed which could prevent reinstalling. It's main job is to make sure your next reinstall is clean, not to wipe Adobe from your system. It will not remove any of your personal files, such as Lightroom databases or caches. It is perfectly safe to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled bot Lightroom and PS.

I ran the cleaner. Chose to clean ALL. 

I deleted any remaining Adobe files I could find under Program Files and Under Users>AppData

I re-installed the CC

I re-installed PS

WHen I opened PS, all of my previous filters and legacy extensions were still there.

Close PS and re-opened and entire Plugins sub-menu is grayed out.

Went to prefs and chose reset prefs on quit.

Opened PS all my filters and legacy extensions were still there.

Plugin sub menu was no longer grayed out.

Re-installed my plugins.

Quit PS normally.

Re-opened PS, Filters and extensions present, Plugins sub-menu completely grayed out.

How does a CC Cleaner cleanup allow the next install to revert to all old settings, preferences, and problem of no Plugins sub-menu.

I'm about to call a witch doctor!

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screenshot of these PS, Filters and extensions present.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I finally got a clean version of PS installed. I have re-installed my plugins, legacy extensions, and filters. 

Tee pproblem now is that the Plugins Sub-menu is grayed out when I open PS so I have no plugins panel.

However, If I go tp Prefernces>General and choose Reset Preferences on quit and then quit. The next time I open PS, the Plugins sub-menu is presentas are my plugins (managed from CC) and my plugin panel works.

Bottom line, the only way I can get acceess to the plugins sub-menu is to reset preferences when I quit. If I just quit, no plugins when I open PS next.

Thanks for any insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on an admin enabled account on your computer?

This sounds like your preferences folder has restrictions not allowing read/write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you defintely are on to something. Thank you.

I am signed in on an admin account. Opening PS by clicking on its icon prodces the undesired behavior.

However, right clicking on the icon and clicking run as adminsitrator does the trick Plugins, filters, and extensions all behave properly.

Not sure what to try next, but at least I can run it as admin and get it to do what it's supposed to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like your account permissions are not right.

You have a workaround for now, but I would go back to your user profile in Windows and make sure it is setup properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will. Many thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can assign your shortcut to automatically Run As Administrator. The instructions are slightly different depending on where the icon is. If it is on the Desktop, simply right-click and go to Properties. If in the Start menu, right-click, select More > Open file location, then right-click the shortcut and choose Properties. In Properties, go to the Compatibility tab. Check the "Run this program as an administrator" box and click OK. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines