• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn a Work Path Into A Shape With No Fill

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a work path that I want to convert into a shape.  I would normally do this by going to Layer > New fill layer > solid color, but I do not want there to be a fill, only a shape outline with no fill.

Does anyone here know how to do this?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Make as Solid Fill Layer, add a Stroke Layer Effect, and reduce the Fill Opacity to 0% in the Layers panel:

This is CS4, but it was the same in CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Two steps

1. With the pen tool selected click Make Shape in the options bar

2. Then click on a shape tool in the tool bar and in the options bar set the fill and stroke as required. These will affect the shape you have just made in step 1

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replay Dave.

I see that as how to make a shape from scratch.  What I want to do here is convert a pre-created work path into a shape with no fill.  Is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

caleb5  wrote

Thanks for the replay Dave.

I see that as how to make a shape from scratch.  What I want to do here is convert a pre-created work path into a shape with no fill.  Is this possible?

Just try what Dave just said. He is correct.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so after selecting the pen tool I do not see the same thing as in Dave's screenshot.  I see this:

Maybe sense I am using Photoshop CS3 it looks different?  Would anyone know how I would do this in CS3 if that is the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make as Solid Fill Layer, add a Stroke Layer Effect, and reduce the Fill Opacity to 0% in the Layers panel:

This is CS4, but it was the same in CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I needed to do.

Thanks a ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screenshot the options at the top left are Shape, Path and Pixels. You want the left one - shape

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Shape strokes wren't introduced until CS6, so one would need to use a layer style in CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right, and I should have remembered that.

It's funny how we grow so used to certain functions that we think of them as having been around forever. I used to keep a few old versions installed just to check but after a PC rebuild I now just keep the last couple and that is just in case a new version introduces an issue.

Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines