• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Un-smart or Revert a Smart Object

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be very convenient if there was a shortcut key or button that could "revert" or "un-smart" a smart object to what is contained within it. I know you can open the smart object, and drag the contents back to your working PSD, but having a button to toggle between these stages would be very helpful.

If anybody knows an easy way to do this already, please let me know.

Thanks,

Graham

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010
Thanks Michael but I was looking for a non-destructive way to toggle the smart object layer into an expansion of its contents.

Thats the point, it can't be non-destructive if the containing document (what Chris is calling the parent) is a different resolution, mode or bit depth.

If you mean you would like to be able to return multiple layers of the Smart Object intact, into the containing document - then this is a good Feature Request. Of course this could only happen by contextually converting mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one step way to do it, and only rarely could it even be done without significant loss.

Smart Objects can have a different depth, resolution, color mode, and profiles relative to the parent document.

Only if EVERYTHING perfectly matched could we take the contents out of a Smart Object and put them in the parent document without loss.

But you can already do that by opening the child and dragging the layers to the parent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris. I was hoping there'd be an easy one-step way to do it, but you're right, there could be many characteristics distinct to the smart object that would not toggle back appropriately to the parent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under the menu "Edit/Menus..." Be sure you are in the "Menu For: Application Menus" tab.

Choose "Layer/Rasterize" and assign the keyboard shortcut of your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael but I was looking for a non-destructive way to toggle the smart object layer into an expansion of its contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty easy to write an action for same depth, same colorspace, non-vector, non-raw smart objects: edit contents, select all layers, move to group, move to previous doc, close and dump old SO. On second thought, you can't really action a drag and drop, can you. As usual, after Chris posts, there'a not really much more (useful) to say...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I should give you more time before writing my own responses?  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be Scripted including a check for mode, profile, bit-depth etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats the point, it can't be non-destructive if the containing document (what Chris is calling the parent) is a different resolution, mode or bit depth.

If you mean you would like to be able to return multiple layers of the Smart Object intact, into the containing document - then this is a good Feature Request. Of course this could only happen by contextually converting mode, dumping the Adjustment Layers, and resampling the contents of the Smart Object. So a dialog warning would be necessary. This would be a useful feature because it would allow the temporary 'embedding' of layers, to simplify layer structure on complex documents - another use for Smart Objects!  Its a feature I would use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Mark, you are correct. I would like to be able to return multiple layers of the Smart Object intact to the containing document. And the reason being is just as you said, when you have a long and complex layering system, it's handy to convert layer groups (and adjustment layers) into Smart objects which can easily be selected and manipulated.

I look forward to seeing this in the next CS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2010 Oct 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not quite clear on what you want specifically – re-introduce the untransformed layers or get the layers back but with the Smart Object’s transformations applied to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just open the smart object and copy all layers within the opened document and paste them back to the file originally containing the smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are replying to a 13 year old thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Or even simpler, right-click the Smart Object layer and choose Convert To Layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the newest photoshop 2020 (version 21.0) that includes Convert Smart Object to layers

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2020.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/create-smart-objects.html#convert-smart-object-to-layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Jeff Arola 

This doesn't not keep the transformations. Let's say I convert several layers to a smart object, move the smart object to a different position, and make the smart object smaller to fit into the design appropriately. Once I choose "Convert To Layers", the element does not keep its exact position and size.

What I had to do was duplicate the smart object so that I had 2 copies of the element. They both sat directly atop one another — already perfectly positioned & sized within the layout. Then I converted one of the smart objects to layers — it grew larger & moved across the artboard after it was "unpacked". Then I used the first copy of the smart object (still a smart object) as a guide for placement of the second element (the smart object that I converted to layers). I had to re-position & re-size that second element (the one that was once a smart object but has now been converted to layers). Then after it was resized and repositioned, I deleted the smart object that I used as a guide for placement of the unpacked layers.

I wish all those transformations happened automatically with the "unpacking" of the smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I was looking for. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines