• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using the blur tool - no visible change

Participant ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this isn't just me being dense.  
i have a photograph of a rock wall 

the image goes left to right. 
i want to blur half the wall

I select the blur tool and paint the area but nothing gets blurred. 
what am I doing wrong?

thanks 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what you have told us, the Blur tool might not be the best fit. The important thing is that you view the results at 100% zoom ratio.  The example below is a single pass at full strength showing before and after.

image.png

Try ussing one of the blur filters, like Gaussian blur.

If you need to blur a particular area, the Quick Mask can be a good choice for selecting it

Hit Q, paint in the area, and hit Q again to exit QM

image.png

A big advantage of using a filter blur rather than the blur tool, is that you can make the layer a Smart Object, and apply the blur nondestructively

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am missing something the gaussian blur tool for me is a white square where you have the image and the tool us just a small box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark, can you show us a screen shot of what you are seeing?  That would help a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To achieve better results with the Blur Tool from the Toolbox, consider adjusting the Strength setting. You can find this option in the Options bar, located just below the menus. The Blur Tool acts like a brush, gradually building up the effect as you release the mouse button. When you start painting again, it will add to the existing effect. Admittedly, it may take some time to build up the desired effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the file - I want to blur the left side - but the blur tool does nothing.

My mistake with the blur filter was opening it in quick mode and it showed the white box

In the filter tho I paint the rock and it turns light pink but the filter does. nothing for me

I am sure it is my fault but I dont know why

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were in Quick Mask mode (Select > Edit in Quick Mask Mode or Q), then any adjustments you made onscreen would have affected the mask and not the image. After exiting Quick Mask mode (you can tell it's off when your layer is no longer highlighted in red in the Layers panel), then you should be able to add the blur either with the Blur tool or any of the Blur filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I tried but had no luck getting a blur with either tool or filter. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the best I think I can do - sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an active Selection (is Select > Deselect active)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I have the blur tool active and I'm attempting to pain the rocks on the left to blur. Nothing happens 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I have the blue tool active and I'm attempting to pain the rocks on the left to blur. Nothing happens 

By @Mark30Croton

One can have an active Selection no matter which Tool is selected in the Toolbar. 

Could you please post with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible of your attempt with the Filter Gaussian Blur? 

And please try the Smart Filter I mentioned. 

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 17.38.52.pngScreenshot 2024-02-27 at 17.38.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you get the palettes to float like you show?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able click any of the Blur Gallery options:

image.png

...and the Blur Tools panel should open.

image.png

You can drag this panel anywhere on the screen, and select any of the different Blur tools.  The selected tool will twirl open that part of the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you get the palettes to float like you show?

By @Mark30Croton

You can click-drag the Panels by their name-tags and move them from their docked positions. 

Please remember to save your Workspace if you have customized it according to your needs. (Window > Workspace > New Workspace)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no active selection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried converting the Layer to a Smart Object and using Filter > Blur Gallery > Field Blur? 

That can be used to locally blur an image non-destructively? 

Use the Blur Gallery in PhotoshopAdobehttps://helpx.adobe.com › photoshop › using › blur-galle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Just using the blur tool or the blur filter Gaussian 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I went back an re-read everything

I made a selection of some of the rocks and then used the Gaussian Blur filter and got a blur - see attached

Its not as cool as I thought but I did it!

Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I went back an re-read everything

I made a selection of some of the rocks and then used the Gaussian Blur filter and got a blur - see attached

Its not as cool as I thought but I did it!

Thoughts?

By @Mark30Croton

Gaussian Blur works with one setting, so a soft selection/mask will mean a blend of the blurred and the sharp content, not a transition of increasing blurriness. (see screenshot)

Please try the Filter »Field Blur« already. (Remember to convert the image to a Smart Object before.)

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 08.18.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

When using the field blur - how d oyou increase the size of the area affected by each pin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you perused

Use the Blur Gallery in PhotoshopAdobehttps://helpx.adobe.com › photoshop › using › blur-galle...

Please post meaningful screenshots if you want to discuss this further. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, thank you but when you mention discussing this further - are you speaking for yourself or the entire forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, thank you but when you mention discussing this further - are you speaking for yourself or the entire forum?

By @Mark30Croton

He is saying that full res screen shots of the entire workspace, showing the layers panel and image, would make it much easier to home in on a useful answer.  Screen shots are a huge aid to finding problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines