• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the best size/resolution for images in a web setting like Wordpress

Participant ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm selling digital images in a setting where I'll be posting low-res, watermarked images in the galleries, but offering the high-res jpg version after purchase as the download. Basich though he question may be, what's the best size to select for conversion/res-sizing the high-res image to the low-res display version. I've looked in both Photoshop and Bridge, but neither seem to offer a resolution setting for conversion - only "image size". I recognize that they are related, but what is the best app to use for a batch conversion and what settings should I input for optimal loading and display in the Wordpress environment/WooComerce Gallery/Store? What by what?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

PPI (Pixels Per Inch) is only needed for printing, and is irrelevant for screen viewing.

On screen, images will display according to their pixel dimensions, and it makes no difference whether the PPI value is 72 or 900, or any other value.

The only numbers that matter are the pixel dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

@Per Berntsen is correct that the dpi or ppi is irrelevant for web viewing. But "Save" or "Export For Web" can automatically reduce the size dimensions of the image. Before saving for web, I often go Image Size>and change the 300dpi to 150 dpi if the file is large (edit- this isn't a large file- just using it as an example to show how the size dimensions were reduced):

ADOBE-FORUM.jpgADOBE-FORUM-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save For Web (or it might be "Export" for web now) will give you 72ppi or 96 ppi, which are suitable for display on the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As easy as that? I'll get over it! Is this for batch processing and in which app? I'm assuming you mean Bridge or Lightroom - but maybe Photoshop as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPI (Pixels Per Inch) is only needed for printing, and is irrelevant for screen viewing.

On screen, images will display according to their pixel dimensions, and it makes no difference whether the PPI value is 72 or 900, or any other value.

The only numbers that matter are the pixel dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I've read a number of articles about resolution vs image size etc. I set the resolution at 72 ppi and wasn't quite sure about the best size setting. I simply want to be able to upload optimal images that work in my galleries without overburdening the site and loss of quality. Your point is well taken. Whats a good dimension setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Per Berntsen is correct that the dpi or ppi is irrelevant for web viewing. But "Save" or "Export For Web" can automatically reduce the size dimensions of the image. Before saving for web, I often go Image Size>and change the 300dpi to 150 dpi if the file is large (edit- this isn't a large file- just using it as an example to show how the size dimensions were reduced):

ADOBE-FORUM.jpgADOBE-FORUM-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I bit off a lot in trying to build a website and edit my images with near zero experience in either undertaking. I can't say how much I appreciate the generousity of you and others in sharing your hard-earned knowledge and skill in helping me to get there.

Best..and thanks again!

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

About the batch conversion application. For similar tasks, I like to use the free image viewer XnView. I like the large number of settings it provides for batch conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines