• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What should I look for in a new monitor?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should I look for in a new monitor for Photoshop CC and Lightroom Classic?

Several MIR submisssions have not received a merit recently and the main reason given in the critiques is because of banding.  I'm not seeing any banding on my monitor, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with my processing workflow or my screen. 

I usually do some basic edits in Lightroom, then switch to Photoshop if I need to do more, and then save as a tif docu,emt.  I go back to Lightroom Classic to export a JPG for MIR.  I'm on a Dell workstation with the i9 Intel processor.

I calibrate my monitor, but am looking to purchase a new one.   What should I look for?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~$1,200 USD range is within reason for a quality monitor. A concern is with the quality trying to compete in the market. The USD has gained ~14% over the Yen since Oct 23. Quality issues have been showing up in some of their Japanese power tool reviews.  Not be surprised if this is the case for other products as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@davescm that’s right, I'm not sure what Eizo Coloredge @westdr1dw has seen at 5K

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
Help others by clicking "Correct Answer" if the question is answered.
Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of recommendations here for Eizo ColorEdge displays, and from everything I've heard and read, if I had one, I would probably be very happy with it for Photoshop and Lightroom.

But unlike many of us here, you said you need it to produce images that are accepted for MIR. I had no idea what that means and had never heard of that term before, so I looked it up. Is this MIR as in Medical Image Retrieval (and not MRI)? Have the people you submit to given you specific requirements for a display? Because when I do web searches on medical displays, there seem to be technical requirements that need to support certain medical workflows and compliance. Like certain luminance ranges, gamma curves, and so on, depending on the standard being met.

And the thing about medical imaging is, the same company we are talking about, Eizo, is very active specializing in vertical industrial markets. Eizo has an entire section of their website devoted to displays designed specifically for medical imaging. Are you able to ask any of your colleagues if they have used or are familiar with the medical imaging displays in the Eizo line, if they would be more suitable for editing the images you need to produce, or if they recommend another company? Here are a couple of links on the Eizo website that I was looking at.

Eizo Medical Imaging Solutions

RadiForce Medical Monitors

One display’s description says stuff like “…monochrome images such as CT, MRI and X-ray are displayed in the ideal grayscale that corresponds to DICOM Part 14, while color images such as 3D rendering, nuclear medicine, ultrasound and endoscopy are faithfully reproduced corresponding to Gamma 2.2.”

I know nothing about medical imaging, but this seems to be important, because although many of us here are familiar with what makes a good display for creative digital imaging, I don’t think there are many discussions here about displays that need to meet requirements for vertical niches in different technical industries such as health care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be useful if the OP clarified MIR. I read it as submissions to the publication Mechanics Institute Review 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative advertisment for their organization. The fact they are collecting $25 per image! and a review with feedback for $10 more. Don't walk, run. . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a PPA member so I dunno.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines