• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White is not 'White', it is YELLOW!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with the white color in Photoshop CS6, and I know it's not my computer or monitor. Anything white colored or anything for that matter, has a yellow tint to it. What should be white, is yellow. I even tried pasting a image of white on to the canvas, but that also turned yellow. I don't think it's my color settings. I also have Photoshop CS5, but that's fine. White is white. I pasted a screen shot of my computer onto both programs. CS5 is fine, but CS6 is still yellow. I cross referenced my color settings with CS5, making sure they're the same. One thing was different from CS5. The CYMK working space is "U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2". I tried switching it to Photoshop 5 Default CMYK if that could change it to the CS5 default, but nothing changed. Even the color pickers have yellow instead of white. Gradients and Black to Yellow. It's not my computer or monitor. I want to use CS6 for my photo editing needs, but I'll need to use CS5 to do anything that needs normal color. Please help, I want to use CS6, CS6 is so cool, but I don't want yellow, I want white.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Guru , Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Your monitor profile is probably bad. You should recalibrate and make a new one. Preferably with hardware calibration device.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

That you haven't calibrated your display and that it appears to be a "standard gamut" monitor means you're probably okay with having your system work at Windows default settings.

• Click Start, type color in the search box, then click Color Management when it comes up.

• In the Devices tab, ensure that your monitor is selected in the Device field.

• Check the [  ] Use my settings for this device box if it is not already checked.

• If the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile is not showing in the Profiles associated wi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

The interesting thing about this thread is that the very first reply is the correct one, and is even marked as correct by the OP. But they still keep coming in, and nobody seems to make the connection.

Yes, Naktaube, you have a bad display profile, coming either from the Dell "installation" CD or through Windows Update. Either way, the problem is the Dell profile.

You're on the right track with "ignore profile". What it does is throw out the Dell profile and replace it with sRGB. You can also do t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

https://forums.adobe.com/people/waheed+deepro  wrote

From your photoshop VIEW menu, go to "Proof Setup" and just change it to "Monitor RGB". DONE

That temporarily disables color management and bypasses the corrupt profile.

But it's still corrupt. It doesn't solve the problem. The right way to solve this is to replace the broken profile with a good one.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2014 Jun 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, glad I could help. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. Your advice for the white background was marvelous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just a quick reply to say that over 2 years later, your answer (and steps) are the perfect solution to this issue. Have a BenQ monitor which made all whites in Photoshop a horrible yellow/tan colour and I followed your steps to the letter and the issue was resolved instantly!

Thank you

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record and future reference: Using sRGB as display profile is just a diagnostic or temporary fix. For non-critical use it may be close enough, however.

The purpose of the display profile in the color management chain is to be an accurate description of the display's response. Only a measurement by a calibrator can give you that. sRGB is a generic profile that just happens to be close enough to most monitors' native response that it works.

In the cases above replacing a broken display profile with sRGB is obviously an improvement. For some it's good enough. But a full fix it isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To this day I'm amazed at how manufacturers can possibly deliver such terrible, bogus profiles for their monitors.  As referenced by the above posters, it would be better if they delivered none at all and just allowed the system to default.

And, if the monitor can actually be made to accurately display the sRGB color space - and some monitors do offer a factory sRGB preset - then indeed it can be a good solution that also leads to consistency with other applications that assume sRGB.

But twenty_one is right on the money - if you want true accuracy, your monitor profile needs to describe your monitor's color response, and you need to use color-managed applications (with the understanding that not all of them - possibly not even a majority of them - do proper color-management).  Photoshop is one such application that strives to get it right, though even Photoshop has its little quirks.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 2C -even displays that offer an sRGB preset are not accurately matching the sRGB colourspace. Yes, setting sRGB may be an improvement over a corrupted profile, but, as Noel wrote, there's no substitute for a monitor screen display profile actually made for that specific display (I mean for the actual one on your desk, not something downloaded), this calibration and profile can be made using a sensor such as the i1Display Pro

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9 Years😂😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Noel! Problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kosdaisy wrote:

Thanks Noel! Problem solved!

If only Noel was here to see your thanks.  He gave up on the forum a long while ago because of issues with the forum code and his preferred browser IE11.  I miss his contributions and have twice tried to persuade him back, but he has a new obsession now upsetting the Microsoft engineers on the Windows 10 development forum.  Next time I write to him, I'll tell him he is still getting thankyous here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this is very helpful for me!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Worked perfectly! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, that worked a treat for me, thank you! And I'm on Windows 10!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem three years after this solution was posted and it still worked great! I could have a browser open to a white background but everything that was supposed to be white in PhotoShop was sort of very light beige tinted. Now it looks fine.
Thanks, Noel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Noel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It helped! I'm using a DELL U2711, Windows 10 and Photoshop CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maximilianj32446989 wrote:

Thanks! It helped! I'm using a DELL U2711, Windows 10 and Photoshop CS6.

The Dell U2711 is a wide gamut model, so you cannot use sRGB as monitor profile. Everything will be grossly oversaturated - which it will in any case with applications that aren't fully color managed. There's nothing to be done about that.

Wide gamut monitors will only work as intended in a fully color managed environment! It will never display correctly in non-color managed applications. And you really need an accurate monitor profile, which only a calibrator will give you.

Dell should really start informing their customers better. You just cannot use these monitors the same way as any other monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, absolutely right

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brilliant tip Noel - thanks - just sorted out my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to figure this problem out for the past 3 years with no luck and this solution had it fixed in 5 minutes! I can't thank you enough for posting this awesome solution!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Noel.

I had the same issue and this fixed it perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ABSOLUTE STAR!  It has been driving me mad and no other bugger could help!

THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This fixed the problem straight away. Having moved OSs, I was looking in the wrong place for colour management. Your steps were nice and clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

111.PNGok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines