Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 11 and Adobe

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all

Just wanted to come here and share a finding with the new Windows 11. I know, I'm on outdated software, but there may be others struggling whom are also in the frustrating position I was.

So, there is a conflict with File Explorer (windows explorer) working correctly (not restarting on a left click of the app). Also, Right Clicking on the desktop (both actions from a fresh PC startup) with Adobe software installed on a Windows 11 machine.

Basically, I had to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and Adobe Photoshop CS4 and all it's components because of a file called: BIB.dll

Windows 11 will throw out a fault as follows:

Unable to load image BIB.dll, Win32 error 0n2

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for BIB.dll

Uninstalled the above software, and File Explorer and Right clicking on the desktop works again.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update from Microsoft forums...

I had the same issue with File Explorer crashing/resetting after right-clicking anywhere on a clean install of Server 2022 with Adobe CS4 installed. I saw this post regarding CS4 and did some tests by uninstalling it completely then installing elements at a time.

The problem persisted with just Photoshop installed, so I used NirSoft Shexview to check through what was loading in the contextual menu from Adobe that might be causing the crash. I assumed it was Bridge as this cannot be excluded from the installation. It turns out that even when deselected from installation Adobe Drive CS4 elements get installed, one of which is a shell extension - disabling this using shexview resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user suggested downloading the latest BIB.dll

Have Adobe engineers got anything to say on this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have Adobe engineers got anything to say on this thread?

By @Daz22731849b8l8

Probably not, as CS4 is not maintained any more.

If you can get BIB.dll legally, go ahead and try it.

As a side note: I don't understand all those people jumping on Windows 11 without a reason, knowing that they use software that may not support that OS. All my software is current, but I still refrain from upgrading my production machines.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling Adobe CS4 Drive with ShellXView was the fix I needed. THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out that doesn't work on win 11, so disregard the previous post i made.

What does seem to work is the first post by mail about removing two entries in the Registry

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/688632-remove-adobe-cs4-drive-context-menu-entry/

Open Regedit and delete these two entries.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C95FFEAE-A32E-4122-A5C4-49B5BFB69795}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C95FFEAE-A32E-4122-A5C4-49B5BFB69795}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tested that Jeff.

Does this solve both the right click on the desktop AND clicking on the File Explorer folder? < doing both of these actions reset File Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all

I installed again today, without Adobe Drive, still same issue. As mail and Jeff suggested, navigated to the below RegKeys and deleted, issue solved. Thanks guys. Daz

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C95FFEAE-A32E-4122-A5C4-49B5BFB69795}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C95FFEAE-A32E-4122-A5C4-49B5BFB69795}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out that doesn't work on win 11, so disregard the previous post i made.

What does seem to work is the first post by mail about removing two entries in the Registry

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/688632-remove-adobe-cs4-drive-context-menu-entry/

By @Jeff Arola

Hello, I removed the two entries but I still having problem with context menu in Windows 11, when I do a right click over an UB key (to format for example), explorer crashes, the screen goes blank and I can't access the options.

What I did: I searched for every occurrence of "C95FFEAE-A32E-4122-A5C4-49B5BFB69795" in the registry and deleted them (another 2). Everything works fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is correct, the above TWO registry keys fix desktop and file explorer but you need a third for drives like usb devices to also work.

All three keys are: 

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C95FFEAE-A32E-4122-A5C4-49B5BFB69795}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines