• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get masks/Selections from Camera Raw

Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The masking tools in Camera Raw are easy, efficient, and powerful, especially with the Alt Intersect shortcut.

It might be very useful, if we could export them to be re-used in Photoshop, even if we lose their dynamicness.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
20 Comments
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this might require a big structural change from the plugins architecture, but the benefits would be huge.
I am aware of workarounds such as creating extremely strong edits and using bleng modes/ luminosity masking to extract them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be great to be able to export a mask. There are roundabout ways to do it, but it's time consuming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another request that is as, or even more important would be to see other layers in ACR: https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-ideas/p-camera-raw-adjustments-in-context-of-other-layers/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy,

first of all thanks to Adobe for bringing us the incredible new masking tools which makes life much easier!

What I miss now is that the masks are only available within camera raw or Lightroom in it's masking module. When I edit a photo in Photoshop as a smart object from Lightroom and double click the little preview I can access all the settings made in LR as usual even the masks are there! Cool so far.

But If I now want to do some advanced things with those masks it would be nice if the masks would be available from the "load selection" dialog as named selections.

Example: I selected some group of peoble from an image and now want to remove it from the background using the cool new "delete and fill" feature, then create a depth mask utilizing the selection and blur the background accordingly.

Thanks in advance,

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been thinking about it, and pondered that they are too useful  and powerful to be dumbed down as selections. We need the same tools and workflow in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing an image in Photoshop using Camera Raw Filter. When I apply a mask in the filter, it does not save when I go back to Photoshop. There's no way to "apply" or "save" the mask so it stays with the image. If I go back to PS, the mask is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voted. I wanted to suggest this too, but you're the first 🙂

Automasking should also be added directly to PS Select & Mask window, imho. Let's say I don't have a raw and working with a tiff or jpeg - there's no need to switch here and there, since there's no raw info inside the files. So, it's handy to edit inside PS. Secondly, even when editing raws I may not need any strong exposure manipulations with masks in ACR, I just need the masks/selections themselves for further precise work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I convert a photo as a Smart Object and mask it in Camara Raw. Then go back to Photoshop and rotate or crop the image. The set masks in Camera Raw are not rotated. The masks in Camera Raw should already change when the image is edited in Photoshop with the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to load an ACR Mask as a selection in Photoshop?  The masks in ACR are great but I would like to then load the mask as a selection as a layer mask for further refinement,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @mikekasz if there was a way to do that, I don't think I would have posted a feature request for that very function 😉 ... Please vote on top if you need/want it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love if adobe finally allows these masks in camera raw to be further refined. Looks like I might have to buy 3rd party software after all to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the #1 thing that I've wanted for so long, and it's so crazy there isn't support for this. Just do it like Liquify adobe. You have the code, you have the resources. Liquify lets you show the backround, Fade it a little so it''s not fully visable. I would rather apply ACR to all my layers instead of a levels, hue/sat, curves/ all other kind of clipping masks. It's time adobe, this should be the workflow. 

Also extract the masks like subject, background, brushes, all that amazing stuff from what you do in Camera Raw and process it back outside of the Smart Object, it's so logical and yet you haven't done it yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is vital!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg we really need it!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, I have only found a manual way to solve this problem.
1. A separate layer for the mask.
2. Call filter Camera RAW.
3. In Basic mode, use curves to make the entire image completely black - the horizontal curve is at level 0.
4. In Masks, add the Mask you need. For example Face (All people). Using the curve here, I make the selection white - the horizontal curve at the top.
5. I get white faces on a black background.
6. Apply the filter.
7. Let's build a mask based on the resulting bw-image.
You can make adaptive presets in Camera RAW - and you don't have to twist the curves every time - just choose the one you need.
Not ideal, but now it's only way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Thanks for sharing @Igor_Bul 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

in the meantime I have found a good scenario where this would be very useful.

See how the guy in this video fiddles around with tricks to get the camera raw mask in his photoshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_ozGVzP-A

Kind regards,

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree we need this ability to export selections from ACR (or Lightroom) to Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

up!

Votes

Translate

Translate