• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to switch back to legacy Adjustments panel?

Contributor ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating 24.5, the Adjustments panel automatically changed to a new mode after restartup.
For me, these functions are not useful,I want to switch back to the legacy style.
How to do it?

---update---

Since there is no restoration option until 24.6, I found someone on the Internet who shared the manual restoration method.
If you want to restore and never want to use the new adjustments panel again,
just delete or move this folder to other place :Adobe Photoshop 2023\Required\UXP\com.adobe.photoshop.adjustments-panel

I do not understand such a simple thing, why the development team refused to provide.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Was it just two days ago I was saying that we didn't know when the next full release update would go live?  The irony is that Adobe had already started rolling out V25.2.0 and it has given us back the original Adjustment Layer icon size, and it has the option to turn off Layer Mask badges.  Both these features were there in the 25.3 beta version.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Hello everyone! Thank you all for patiently waiting. We have built the "Classic view" into the adjustments panel. You can access it via the flyout menu of the adjustment panel. This will switch it back to the original layout with only the adjustments icons. Hope you enjoy this addition.

We have also released in Beta the functionality for you to save your own adjustments presets on the panel, but it is only accessible via the "Modern View". If you find yourself always applying the same effects to

Votes

Translate

Translate
88 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just close the Adjustments part and set the other to icons and then it's virtually identical to the old one.

adj.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see anywhere Legacy style. Probably the only way is to roll back to previous version.

By the way, what is sooo anoying? Perhaps because adjustments are presented as list by default? You can click on switcher in the top rifgt corner to display adjustments as icons as they used to be. Above collapsed Adjustments presets are not that destructive and anoying in my opinion.

adjustments.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that rusty machine mower, old style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah i believe it's a horse drawn sickle-bar mower

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, what is sooo anoying?

By @Bojan Živković

It's just that some of us try to keep open panels compact and economic. Even if it's just a collapsed section, it's wasted space, and it's distracting.

I agree fully with the OP. I think a moderator should move this to "ideas" so that we can vote on it.

We did manage to get rid of the blue "share" button, right? I think this is just as distracting in its own way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Probably the only way is to roll back to previous version."

Not even that. They somehow sneaked it into my 24.4.1 version 😮

This is why I like to keep a strict firewall, but forget it one minute and they're playing with your install and God knows what...

This thing just popped up yesterday and the presets were already added...

Sneaky Presets.jpg

What a waste of precious workspace pixels now going to n00b actions that already have their own workflow and UIs anyway...

Thankfully I had already replaced that panel with a programmable button panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It gets in the way and I have no use for it now it's been added to a panel I use every day and I cant remove it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jacob todd 
Just untick Adjustments under the Window Menu.

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry you've clearly misunderstood but thanks for your response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-05-25 103621.png

To make it clear I want the top section of this window gone not just minimised. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would hide the whole window I want the "adjustments presets" only hiding but still have the icons for standard adjustment layers like all the previous versions of ps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea why they added it to the same panel. Takes up twice as much GUI real estate, makes navigating other panels half as effective. The alternative is to pop the panel out of the side bar and relocate it, keep it expanded, but that reduces visibility of the canvas. Extremely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They somehow sneaked it into my 24.4.1 version 😮

By @Signfeld

How do they do that? Is this a part of the application that actually calls home on every launch? Now I'm getting really curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The major issue for me now, having gone through the start-up and new documents a few times as per my workflow (with some work, saves, PC restarts in between to make sure), is that the new feature resets other panels, completely resizes the panels that remain open and even completely collapses other panels, namely layers and paths. I have to essentially manually adjust my workspace again for each session. Of course, it's not "destructive" but it certainly disrupts my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add my voice to the list of people who HATE the change.  We can reduce the preset screen space by twirling it shut, but the Adjustment layer icons are half the size they were.   

image.png

I use three screens (on 32" and two 24") and have enough space to work with all of the panels I use open and with LOTS of room, so I have been showing the Adjustment Layers in list mode, but that makes them too spread out and slows your workflow.  It's only a moment, but it feels like you've hit a brick wall and it glitches your process.

image.png

The answer is probably to move the Image > Adjustment shortcuts — that edit the layer destructively — to the relevant Adjustmet Layers.  I'd like to add a shortcut to Vibrance, but I use the various Paste options so don't want to use V with modifiers.  So does anyone have any clever workflows they'd like to share?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We already have a couple of threads requesting a way to disable this.

I suggest this be merged into

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-to-switch-back-to-legacy-adjustme... 

- and then turned into a proper "ideas" thread so we can start collecting votes. Folks, we managed to get rid of the blue "share"-button. We can do it again 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot agree more. They keep "fixing" things. The adjustment panel has looked the same as long as I've used it (so nearly 20 years). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly agree with your opinion. Can we call it an evolution of the UI to let fixed presets, which users cannot create or adjust, occupy the top of the panel? This is an extremely ugly design. If they want to implement presets, they should incorporate them into the existing help system, or isolate them as color correction presets in a panel. I really think this is an ugly design.

Yamonov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(to D Fosse)

If you're connected, it makes sense they can do anything they like.

If you block everything with a firewall, you can see it can get somewhat hammered with several Adobe things wanting to make contact.

I also know of one CEP panel (using a cloud) that keeps working, even if you disable it by unchecking...

Photoshop_rUe4O2QE4V.jpg

Adobe is either not strictly checking these panels to conform, or people can easily find a way around it, thereby making this option "useless."

I would also hope this option would be used to learn when a person is "on an island w/o internet," and stop hammering to make contact.

I suspect this thing I encountered might be a "new tech" they're testing and that would make more things (temporarily) dependant on being connected. This may also serve to have less features in pirated versions, but in the end it's often the honest legal user that experiences all the PITA...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My gripe is the use of smaller icons in a larger panel. Not a good UI

2023-05-26_00-25-38.jpg

Edit to add : Oh and the new smaller icons are blurry - take a screenshot of both and zoom in. The levels icon is sharp as can be on the old version, which it should be given no diagonals to antialias, and it's blurry on the new. Horrible!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree to most of the replies here, it feels like the 'view as icons' list is a step back rather than step forward.

It comes down to the menu having to be compact, yet still big enough to identify icons and even then if you hover over each icon the name of the specific adjustment being revealed.

Frustrating to say the least but let's just hope a 'view as legacy' option could be easily introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The really weird thing I've seen, is that sometimes when opening an image the panel remains completely dead. The icons are greyed out and nothing happens when you click on them. Here's how that looks and this is with an open image sitting right next to it:

dead_panel.png

No other panels have ever exhibited anything like this behavior. For some reason it seems to happen mostly when sending images from Lightroom (edit in Photoshop).

It also looks like there's an online component now. When the panel does work, it blinks and reloads quickly a few times before coming to life. Does it actually call home every time? Do I want to know?

The sum of all this - tiny icons, unwanted intrusive presets section, and failure to load - makes the whole panel useless. I've killed it completely now, and have set up keyboard shortcuts/F-key-triggered actions.

Unless something happens to this panel, I don't think I will look back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree 100%. Prefer the old Adjsutments Panel, it fitted so well in my workspace, now with presets its a wasted of space, keeping the window at same side, sometimes working fast it scrool! Is there any way to bring the old Adjustments panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking some more about this...

I do like that this type of preset picker is introduced in PS itself, ...

* IF it would be its own panel, or an option for the action panel (as they seem to be actions). The day I would like to use them, I would want to click a panel and see most of them, not clicking arrows and digging down to more sections to open, completely messing up the workspace...

* IF we can eventually pick what the presets are, as we can to some degree inside ACR/Lr

- The wider spacing of smaller icons may serve the few people that use large touch screens? Yet, if it's a PITA for all the rest, it's giving priority to a small minority (wokeism in PS? 😉 )  Better to have this layout as an option in the flyout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more with the other comments here. It would be fine to have a separate window for these presets that can be turned off, not jut minimized. It would also be great if I could see the individual adjustment icons without my reading glasses. PLEASE change this back.

Votes

Translate

Translate