• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to arrange & customize save-as file formats so popular formats are at the top

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop supports about 20 formats, but I only use 4 or 5 of them. It's bugged me since 5.5 to have to fish for jpeg somewhere in the middle of the list. Can the file formats get arranged by most commonly used? And maybe allow us to remove stuff like targa and large file format that nobody uses.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 188 Replies 188
188 Comments
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still get notifications on this thread after 5 years, and still hope for it. I did eventually start using large file format once in a while, but still don't need targa 😛

Their reasoning is pretty obvious... these little UI changes are just not gonna sell them new copies of the software, it's not super fun like face-aware liquify. It just makes existing paying customers 2% happier.

No real financial motive, it would strictly be out of the kindness of their hearts. So here's to hoping that someone with a kind heart reads this, 5 years later.

Realistically this is all we're asking: Put a little empty star icon next each existing format. Let me click that icon to favorite that format. The star becomes filled. Put the starred items at the top. That's it. 20 minutes tops.

Help me obi wan adobe, you're my only hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever one saves a file, a long list of file types are provided from which to choose. I only use a few of these. Is there anyway to rid this list of those I will never use and just have a list of the ones I want? I was advised to post this here and perhaps it will make the list as a feature request. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think almost everyone I know has asked for this at one time or another. Most of us probably only use 4 of the formats on any kind of regular basis. Here we can shorten our menus if we want, and still reveal all if we need. But the file format list is stuck in the last century.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go in to the Photoshop application file itself and remove them individually.

If your on Mac, follow this below.
Go to your Applications folder, then the Photoshop folder. Within the Photoshop folder you need to right click on the Photoshop app and choose 'Show Package Contents'.

This puts you in the Contents folder, from here just follow this path:
Contents » Required » Plug-Ins » File Formats

Remove formats at will. Not the cleanest or most correct way but it'll get those archaic formats out of the way for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What it won't do is let you see them all again quickly when someone wants you to work with a format you don't typically use. But if you really don't want them and are sure you never will need them, I guess getting rid of PS's ability to handle them is the way to go. I personally prefer the idea of us hounding them to come up with a better solution.<G>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas for Windows users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marten you can do the same thing in windows, unfortunately it only removes a handful of useless formats and still leaves a dozen that you must sift through. But here's how to do it. We have to get to your photoshop app folder, and the easiest way is probably to just do this:

• If you have a shortcut to photoshop on your taskbar or start menu, right click it. This should pop up a list of recent PS files, plus a link to photoshop itself, and some options like "unpin from taskbar" or "close".

• Within that menu, right click that photoshop link, and choose properties. This bring up a properties dialogue, and there should be a button somewhere on there (bottom left) that says open file location. Click that. You're now in the photoshop program folder.

• At the top of the folder is a list of subfolders, one of them is called "Required"... open it, and then within that open "Plug-Ins". Note this is different from another Plug-Ins folder hiding elsewhere. You want the one under "Required". You should see a subfolder called "File Formats". There's a bunch of files ending in the .8bi extension. It should be safe to delete these [or most of them anyway... you should probably keep PSDX (.psd) and WBMP (.bmp)]... I have been running for years with everything deleted except those formats and radiance, and have had no problems.

Well, except for the problem where I have to do all these silly workarounds and Targa's still cluttering my list 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,
Sorry to keep this one going but I wanted to add my voice to the few active commenters.

I gather that it is too big a job to be put on yout JDI (Just Do It) list, if you still have one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realised I never shared the script I'm using to quickly save a JPEG to my desktop, and seeing how this thread just keeps going with no solution in sight from Adobe, I reckon some people might find a use for it. It also appends a number if you need to save multiple versions to compare. Copy paste this code into a text editor, save it as a .js file, then place it in PS > Presets > Scripts. Don't forget to change the path where you want these saved (first line of code).

It will show up under File > Scripts the next time you start it up and you can even assign it a shortcut. This saved me hours in the ~2 years I've had it.

var JPGquality = 12;var docPath = '/Users/cristian/Desktop/';
var docName = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');;

var saveFile = new File(docPath + '/' + docName + '.jpg');

var fileExists = saveFile.exists;
var tries = 1;
while (fileExists) {
  saveFile = new File(docPath + '/' + docName + ( '-' + tries) + '.jpg');
  tries++;
  fileExists = saveFile.exists;
}

SaveJPEG(saveFile, JPGquality);

function SaveJPEG(saveFile, jpegQuality) {
  jpgSaveOptions = new JPEGSaveOptions();
  jpgSaveOptions.embedColorProfile = true;
  jpgSaveOptions.formatOptions = FormatOptions.STANDARDBASELINE;
  jpgSaveOptions.matte = MatteType.NONE;
  jpgSaveOptions.quality = jpegQuality; //1-12
  activeDocument.saveAs(saveFile, jpgSaveOptions, true, Extension.LOWERCASE);
}

If anyone knows how to do the same for PNGs, I'd be grateful if you shared it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, Mr Cox is no longer at Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to simply use the Quick Export function to save either jpg or png to the desktop... no script needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

appreciate the effort. If a script could somehow recreate the file - save as window, but with only a handful of preset options, it would be a great workaround. I'd just have to get used to pressing something like F6 to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'd just like to voice my support for this issue. I (and probably 99% of other people) use 3, maybe 4 of the total 22 file formats (which by the way is not sorted in any kind of fashion). A list of "favourites" would help a lot.

But then I see that this has been a 6 year ongoing battle, that's just tragic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My post has outlasted some adobe employees! Wish more people would vote on it.

I feel like people are so used to this ancient problem, they forgot it exists. Or don't realize how refreshing it is, to work in a program that handles this properly. It's like getting used to a funky smell in your house until you don't even realize it's there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photoshop CC 2017, and still dealing with this ancient nightmare...

I think the only way we can get some attention from Adobe is to organize a massive crowd of users to sign-up and vote on this request, so maybe (just maybe) they can "think about" this old and annoying issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got that right - it's stupid, it's archaic and it sucks. And with changes in staff at Adobe, well, who cares? Now, how are we going to get this to the attention of someone at Adobe with a brain that's prepared to bring this part of the software into the current era?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is open source code out there that makes this improvement-- it's literally a few lines of code. Really, Adobe, is this obvious improvement that difficult to implement? Stop assigning whole teams to making your user interfaces suck and make this simple change. And Gordon, I have talked to many people who are high up at Adobe and no one is listening. Everyone seems worried about job security and doesn't want to take risks--  it's like Trumps' cabinet right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Six years later I still get replies on this... it's still somewhere on the back burner, probably between "content-aware selfie warp" and "adobe air bridge music mkv codec explorer filetype manager browser"

Meanwhile, 10,000,000 working people make 50 extra clicks a day because we're still on a windows XP interface 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

probably between "content-aware selfie warp" and "adobe air bridge music mkv codec explorer filetype manager browser"
lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really, really, this should be fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  Gets us about halfway there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's about time this problem (and it IS a problem) was fixed. We've been complaining about this for at least 7 years, and the best we ever got was from Cox basically saying "Deal with it, I can't be bothered".  Great way to treat the user base...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hounding. I want it fixed some time before I die of old age, and you don't have much longer... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If only we could stuff the ballot box, putinesque style.  '-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not? Tell everyone you know. I already posted it on the Photoshop Facebook page - it mysteriously disappeared...

Votes

Translate

Translate