• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to arrange & customize save-as file formats so popular formats are at the top

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop supports about 20 formats, but I only use 4 or 5 of them. It's bugged me since 5.5 to have to fish for jpeg somewhere in the middle of the list. Can the file formats get arranged by most commonly used? And maybe allow us to remove stuff like targa and large file format that nobody uses.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 188 Replies 188
188 Comments
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously... ADOBE!! I don't even know what programs use .DCM .PXR .SCT formats.. Please assign some engineer that's got 1 week to spare, to fix this!

<3<3<3<3<3<3

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, it's irritating. TIF is way down at the bottom. PNG is in the middle. JPEG is a little higher up, but so easy to accidentally click on another version of JPEG than wanted. And PSD is right at the top. Pretty awful for the most common formats. I'd think it was a JDI to fix it since they let us hide unwanted menu items—but it may be terribly tricky for all I know and no one  wants to be the one assigned to work on it. <BG>

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUMP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine anyone not wanting this feature. I will say that this topic was hard to locate.  Perhaps if Adobe did some polling of users "would you like this feature?" a lot of support might be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been waiting and watching on this.  Are we there yet?  Hopefully I just missed the memo of the new process.   This reminds me of 3ds Max.  It could always almost do everything, but not a single part of it was easy or in a decent UI.  Many a gray hair...

The Save As dialog and list of filetypes in PS just got me to look this up again.  My eyes are killing me from having to search for "photoshop pdf" instead of just PDF, and reselecting jpeg after I accidentally hit jpeg2000.  The "star" method of favorites and bringing those to the top above a break in the list mentioned on this page is by far my favorite.   Just do that much and forget any detailing beyond that.  Or just have a menu in preferences were we can check/uncheck the filetypes we want listed there if nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK: EARTH TO ADOBE. I opened this thread 1 year ago and still no response. I have been using Photoshop since it was in beta (our studio tested it before you launched the product). In nearly 25 years of using Photoshop, I have only saved files in 4 formats (jpeg, tiff, psd, png, gif). WHY DO I HAVE TO SCROLL THROUGH ARCHAIC FORMATS every time I save? This is such an obvious and easy improvement. Someone in a previous thread actually wrote a patch to fix this. Its a few lines of code. ALLOW US TO CHOOSE WHICH FORMATS SHOW OR LET US CUSTOM PULLDOWN ORDER SO OUR MOST USED FORMATS APPEAR ON TOP OF PULLDOWN. 

Your tech people contacted me and instead of thanking, said they can't make all the improvements people suggest. So, I guess you focus on making your UI and icons illegible for most people over 40 years old and other "improvements" that make your software increasingly complex and difficult to use. 

FIX IT! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow Why didn't I think to do this sooner.  Thank you!  One day a year someone hits you with that odd file type need, or it's a necessary step to getting into another format.  But otherwise it's nice to turn some of these off.  Wish we could do all of them that we want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"CompuServe GIF"? Really. Here is how I want my menu to look. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I was the one who opened this thread, and it was 7 years ago.

But we're on the same page, this is long overdue for a fix. I'm tired of scrolling past Dicom format or accidentally saving JPEG2000 files. This one fix would save me more time per year than anything else Adobe has thought of in the past decade.

They took the time to make a stupid new document dialogue that is slow and loaded with presets I won't use, but won't make this 15 minute fix for a better save dialogue that everyone uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J F D I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-- you did open this thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this not a thing after 7 years of requests? I'm a dev (not a PS dev), and I can tell you, it does NOT take long to customize this even as an indie dev. Why am I paying monthly again...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I scripted many things easily in no time they should be part of Photoshop so I agree with you. Moreover I can say they don't do it not because that is complex, but don't want to do it for no reason. If they wanted it would be done few releases ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is not the most pressing thing but over all the years that I have opened the "Save As..." dialog and had to scroll down the long list of ridiculously outdated file formats, I have actually wasted a considerable amount of time on it.

Come on, there is "Compuserve GIF" in the list. COMPUSERVE! That is so last millennium.

It would be a much appreciated feature.

I'm a professional retoucher and still don't even know what half of these were EVER used for. And I am not planning on finding out - ever.

Thanks, Mr. Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lala, persevere! I reported on a bug SIX YEARS ago, and it was only fixed with the CC 2019 update. Of course now something else I use daily is broken, so  ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will never let this go. When I die, they will put on my tombstone
HE DIED MAKING EXTRA CLICKS 
EVERY TIME HE SAVED A FILE

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL.  Maybe that will turn this request into a JDI. . . maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not the one who's sarcastic 😉 btw what is JDI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From when John Nack ran PS. "Just Do It." They still just do it—several small fixes, upgrades to features that don't require all that much of an engineer's time and isn't too likely to break a lot of things along the way. He made PS users very happy because a lot of little things that bug you to death, but are almost too small to pay serious attention to, got fixed. That's a JDI. Some things we think are JDI's aren't, and it would be helpful if we were told so when our little Idea we think could be resolved tomorrow if anyone bothered, isn't so little.

But I think they still keep lists of these so if they have extra time, engineers can take these on. At least, I've noticed with new releases it pays to look at the what's new on their site, since a bunch of very little things get mentioned — like being able to simply click on the lock icon on a Background layer to convert it to a Layer 0—things like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found your other profile: Cristen Gillespie. Why don't you use it anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a matter of curing schizophrenia<G> I finally learned what I was signing in with so stopped being split in two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want to see something truly AWFUL. I've recently switched over to Windows after waiting 9 years for Apple to release a real Pro machine... this is what Save As looks like in win10:

Yes, you're seeing that right. The dropdown for Save As scales to the width of the Save window.

Want to see worse? Here's what it looks like behind the dropdown:

I miss osx so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can resize the window, you know - but that still doesn't get past the original complaint of too much rubbish in the dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A constant request to hide some formats for years now, just as constantly ignored.  '-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know i can resize, but for some reason, that's usually the width that my Save As is, so that i can see my Folder Tree, Filename and then the columns for format, size, date, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate