• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to arrange & customize save-as file formats so popular formats are at the top

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop supports about 20 formats, but I only use 4 or 5 of them. It's bugged me since 5.5 to have to fish for jpeg somewhere in the middle of the list. Can the file formats get arranged by most commonly used? And maybe allow us to remove stuff like targa and large file format that nobody uses.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 188 Replies 188
188 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI All-- a reminder that someone two years ago wrote a simple script (I think it's in this thread or an older one) that makes this change in Photoshop. If someone can hack it, why can't Adobe friggin' code this in? I just saved a file yet again as JPEG 2000 by accident this morning. I suggest EVERYONE on this thread open a new topic conversation on the site, and maybe if enough people make it an issue they will actually read this thread? This thread is now two years old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years? LOL. This thread is EIGHT years old and the request goes way, way back beyond that. We've been asking since the last century! Seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still here, after making the thread 8 years ago.

I was a different man then. I weighed 40 pounds less. I was still in my early 30's. I had a different job. One of my best friends moved. I also moved. It feels like I was only recently married and divorced. I've had 3 cats die since then. I had one car get stolen, another totalled, and I've bought a new car. Which now has 80,000 miles on it.

The one constant in my life, the one thing that I can count on to never change, is that Adobe will not fix this f*cking UI problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. Lordy, I don't even want to catalog all the changes since people started asking for this. They did remove Targa, as I recall. That's progress, I guess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is starting to feel like a yearly event where someone posts a new comment in this thread and we complain about how bad Adobe is a bit more. Maybe it will evolve into a formalised meet-up or conference at first with people originally on this thread and later with dissatisfied customers the world over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get how it doesn't have more traction after so many years. Looking through the ideas I see stuff like "custom colors for guides" and "saveable grid sizes" and I totally get there are a few people who use those features every day. But literally 100% of photoshop users use the save dialogue.

Are they ALL really ok with saving .png's by clicking off the filename to the filetype dropdown, tapping P, tapping down-down-down-down, clicking back on the filename, typing the name, pressing enter, pressing enter again to confirm the same old save options that they never change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well ... 33 votes seems far from overwhelming support for the request. 

Saving to particular formats can be streamlined with Actions and, considerably better, Scripts as it is. 
Have you looked into those options exhaustively yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To put that into context, the highest rated idea for PS hast 232 votes, and it is to do with organisation of presets. The second highest rated is 175. So it's not like 33 is a small number. But the reason everyone keeps coming back to this tread is because it's a good illustration of how clunky and out of touch Adobe is. This is indeed not the sort of problem that breaks the app or makes your life miserable, but at the same time, there are just two possibilities:

1. is that they can't change this because of how old the software is and how little control they have over it, in which case, it makes no sense to keep hoping they will ever get better.
2. is that they are simply too out of touch, which leads to a similar conclusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the number is still not quite »up there« with the »most popular« requests. 

And while naturally everybody who supports it (and possibly many, many more Photoshop users) would benefit from an implementation for many other users it is effectively irrelevant. 
Photoshop offers options for customisation and automatisation that make it possible to pretty much circumvent the Save-dialog for saving copies off of the layered files one works on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, this is not one of the big problems with PS, but it's also not as hard to fix as the awful performance even on the latest machines either. And having to write a script (I did do that actually and posted my script here) to circumvent something as simple as saving your files is not a good way to design user friendly software, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe exhaustively researched the options for implementing this change?
They can't find time to do it, in 8 years

Why do I need to learn to coding/scripting, when Adobe has people who do it for a living, who can knock it out in 1/100th of the time I could, and fix the problem for everyone, not just one guy?

And let's not act like Adobe strictly prioritizes based on popularity/"me-toos" - many ideas with fewer upvotes than this one have been implemented.

The ability to auto-save was proposed 8 years ago, and only got 23 upvotes. Various "Champions" (including you, Chris), argued about how it was impractical, ineffecient, it should be the user's responsibility, etc.

Less than a year later, it was implemented, it works fine, the handwringing about it was completely overwrought. It was an obvious, common sense change, and they just did it.

Now we are faced with another obvious idea, and it's so frustrating seeing people perversely argue AGAINST it. I guess some people just have that kind of mentality.

Microsoft word has had the ability to set a default save format (along with a logically ordered save-as dropdown) FOR OVER TWENTY YEARS.

https://i.imgur.com/M75eX2i.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Methinks Adobe know they have us by the short and curlies with this dumb subscription model, and they really don't give a flying fwhatever about the people who pay their wages. And no good pointing at Chris, he went ages ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ridiculous comes to mind...  8 yrs and counting, meanwhile they found the time to fucjk up the free transform tool just because they could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post does not seem to be useful. 

• First off: Adobe and the Photoshop team are not obliged to implement Feature Requests, no matter how popular they are or how long ago they have been made or how well their potential benefits are presented. There are people that have taken note of the request but the decision on the issue may ultimately not be the one you would prefer.  
• Secondly: One can restore the »default-non-proportional-transformation« in Photoshop; see »How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers« on this page: 
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/free-transformations-images-shapes-paths.html
• Thirdly: Photoshop does not feature a »Transform Tool«.

While you may call that last one nit-picking, if one does not respect the meaning of words and the use of proper terminology in written communication then what is one even trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above post does not seem to be useful.

Everyone understands that Adobe is under no obligation. But if they provide an open forum for people to push for feature requests, then people will push for feature requests.

You may not like their wording or tone, but telling someone their input isn't useful goes directly against the purpose the forum.

Adobe asked us what we think about proposed feature, and TangCanada is letting them know.

To anyone else who is frustrated by this: Don't hestitate to continue complaining. Very often, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. 

>While you may call that last one nit-picking, if one does not respect the meaning of words and the use of proper terminology in written communication then what is one even trying to do?

To communicate.

Which obviously the user did successfully since you easily understood what they were trying to say. You're correct that you're nitpicking. Usually it isn't worth it to try to score a cheap internet debate point like that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone else who is frustrated by this: Don't hestitate to continue complaining. Very often, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. 
Certainly one should add one’s »Me too«, add a post from time to time, ...
And if a reported, legitimate bug goes unfixed for more than two full versions that is one thing, but a Feature Request not being implemented is quite another. 
So if someone goes calling the failure of a Feature Request to be implemented »ridiculous« they would seem to be implying that Adobe or the Photoshop team transgressed with regard to propriety or obligation or reasonability or ... and that seems unreasonable to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@christoph pfaffenbichler, nitpicker to the bone.

"• Thirdly: Photoshop does not feature a »Transform Tool«. "

Whats up with you bro?
You and all others who read my post will know exactly what I am referring to.
Get a life. Look at the forest insted of finding issue with one tree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again:
Photoshop’s Free Transformation does not seem to have been » fucjked up«; the default behaviour was changed (apparently in reaction to a longstanding Feature Request) but you should be able to restore the old behaviour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lala lala wrote (4 years ago):

"In an even less perfect world, I'd have 3 separate keyboard shortcuts to save files, one for each of the 3 formats. I'm not sure if that can be recorded as a photoshop action... I don't think it prompts me for a save location, and I'm not sure if it can prompt me to tweak those other dialogues like the JPEG quality slider.” 

As we live in a less than perfect world, the pragmatic approach would indeed to have been to create an action to work around the issue while waiting/hoping for such a feature request to be realised. All of this is possible.

It would be nice if end users did not have to resort to creating actions or scripts to achieve what they believe should be a built in feature – however it is great that we can do this rather than be stuck with nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TangCanada, were you able to follow the clear instructions and thus render your complaint about what you called »free transform tool« moot? (edited) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, yes the "Free Transformation" was fujcked up.  I might agree that it's a minor change to make the default behavior proportional scale, except they didn't do that.  They made it default for everything EXCEPT vector shapes.  So now you have to switch back and forth between two modes of scaling, the old way and the new way if you're scaling text or smart objects or raster objects or vector shapes. 

And if I have to write a script change in a Notepad file, they fucjked things up.

Everyone I know in the business hates this change.  There's dozens of articles complaining about it and telling you how to change it.  I can't imagine anyone hating the ability to favorite file formats, which we've been asking to have for 8 years.

Also no one calls it >>Free Transformation<<, everyone calls it the transform tool.

https://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/photoshop-transform-tool/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBtUpxoVONQ

https://phlearn.com/tutorial/how-to-master-the-transform-tool-in-photoshop/

https://www.wikihow.com/Transform-an-Image-in-Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, yes the "Free Transformation" was fujcked up.  I might agree that it's a minor change to make the default behavior proportional scale, except they didn't do that.  They made it default for everything EXCEPT vector shapes.  So now you have to switch back and forth between two modes of scaling, the old way and the new way if you're scaling text or smart objects or raster objects or vector shapes. 

And if I have to write a script change in a Notepad file, they fucjked things up.

Everyone I know in the business hates this change.  There's dozens of articles complaining about it and telling you how to change it.  I can't imagine anyone hating the ability to favorite file formats, which we've been asking to have for 8 years.

Also no one calls it >>Free Transformation<<, everyone calls it the transform tool.

https://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/photoshop-transform-tool/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBtUpxoVONQ

https://phlearn.com/tutorial/how-to-master-the-transform-tool-in-photoshop/

https://www.wikihow.com/Transform-an-Image-in-Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to add my support for this feature.  Which I can't believe has been running for 8 years now.

Like 99% of Photoshop users I use 2-3 formats on a given day.  I don't need a list of 22 different formats.  And I hate that my most used formats are in the middle of the list.  So many other programs have addressed this issue.  But Adobe can't somehow.

Too busy breaking the Transform Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too busy breaking the Transform Tool.
It’s not broken and the old non-proportional default transformation behaviour can be restored so what is your statement supposed to achieve? 

Votes

Translate

Translate