• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to arrange & customize save-as file formats so popular formats are at the top

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop supports about 20 formats, but I only use 4 or 5 of them. It's bugged me since 5.5 to have to fish for jpeg somewhere in the middle of the list. Can the file formats get arranged by most commonly used? And maybe allow us to remove stuff like targa and large file format that nobody uses.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 188 Replies 188
188 Comments
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it almost funny that this suggestion was posted over 8 years ago and still I occasionally save as Pixar or Scitex. Please allow us to sort this list!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the ability to save image formats I use (or hide the image formats I never use) in Preferences, so when I save a file I am only presented the formats I want. I often save a layered file as a .psd, and then a flattened .tif. They are the top and bottom options and it would certainly speed things up (and make mistakes rare) if the file formats were condensed to just the ones I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why Adobe needs thousands of requests to implement the requested change. I work with 50 Photoshop professionals in my dept. ALL OF US want a simplified Save dialog. Most of them don't dig in to request the change.
This seems a no brainer. The cumulative time wasted in this dialog is enormous.
It doesn't mean you have to throw out the old file types – who knows, I might use DCS sometime, and I do have some 24 year old Scitex files, but I don't think I will ever print to an Iris again.
So file types I need regularly:
PSB PSD PNG JPG TIFF
Need sometimes:
GIF RAW
As for the others, I would like a drop down option to select them.
I originally asked this of Adobe 22 years ago for 5 years in a row at MacWorld.
Craig Cheatham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers... can you get some some of those 50 coworkers to vote for the topic?  

I can't believe only 42 people have voted on this, I guarantee 10,000x that number have, at some point, wished for it.

And yeah, it's a lot of cumulative time wasted. Not all of us use brush smoothing or canvas rotation or whatever, but 100% of photoshop users use the save dialog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is by no means to derail the feature request. The pragmatic approach is to make an action (or script) to save as to various formats while waiting/hoping for something to come from Photoshop development as a native feature.

As proof of concept, the following action has an invalid save path so is now "generic" and suitable for use on different systems, perhaps used via the actions panel or with an action keyboard shortcut or perhaps referenced in a script with a more flexible keyboard shortcut:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfnuboblcd2r9cp/SaveAs.atn?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2019 Aug 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is truly absurd that you cannot customize this dialog box to leave out the many file types that are outdated and you never use.  It would be so simple to make a few file types as preferred ones at the top of the list and or to eliminate some.   There is so much customization of menu's available in photoshop that to not allow one to change the order or number of file types in this dialog and save you time fishing for  one among all the unused ones is just crazy.   WHY NOT DO THIS.  IT IS SO SIMPLE.  AND SO USEFUL.    PLEASE???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I browse this thread once in a while to see what Adobe might have done about. They never do anything about it.

As an (ex-)software developer I can say without fear of contradiction that this is really not that hard to implement. I suspect the lack of Adobe action is more of a support issue: if everyone has a different Save As file type list, support will have more stuff to wade through to find a solution to someone's problem. They would be getting lots of cries for help from people who removed a file type and now don't understand why it's gone. Though just allowing the list to be rearranged would alleviate that.

Anyway, if getting this implemented is just a question of how many votes the request gets (as was mentioned in one of the earliest posts), then everyone who reads this should just scroll to the top of this page right now and click the Vote button. As of today, only 44 people have - including me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm always surprised there aren't more me-too's also, I think people are just unaware of this forum. 45 people voted, but 12,000,000 people have sighed when they accidentally saved a JPEG2000 .jpf file, or pressed "p" to jump to png but forgot it jumps to .PCX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll see if i can get an official statement about this request.

I agree that it's 100% ridiculous this hasn't been implemented after all these years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be great.  I'd love to hear a response as to why we have to endure all these used formats when so much else is customizable in the menus. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also just voted for this feature too - with so many options to save bits as favourites, to drag and drop to re-order lists nowadays why can this not be done with what must be the most used Dialog box in Photoshop - the Save Dialog box! Even if they cannot drop all formats at least thru some AI or ML stack your most used formats to the top of the options, or allow some lever of user cusomisation. ATM there is nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread was started 8 years ago, but nothing have changed! But the subject still actual! Please just make a "File types" tab in a settings and let the user select which formats he don't want to use!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" 1 month ago
eartho, Champion
  • 1207 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
I'll see if i can get an official statement about this request.

I agree that it's 100% ridiculous this hasn't been implemented after all these years."

I'm assuming @eartho didn't get an official statement (or any other kind of statement, knowing Adobe).

This is beyond ridiculous.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2020 is released, and still no way to customize the Save As dialog... Maybe the developers were too busy adding brand new exciting Photoshop bugs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a me too!  Tired of 'just living with it'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a simple thing- already you can customize dialogs in drop down menus: why not this one you use on every image???

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think of it as classic hi-tech company nincompoopery. Any real programmer knows this is a couple hours of work and would allocate a week, to allow time to sneak in more indecipherable icons to spring up with nor request for them. The larger job is documentation. That may actually take a week to do. Obviously, after all these years, they are simply being jerks. You can suck up to them if they stick their nose in to see what's on this board now and then, but that doesn't work - how many years of it do you need to see? This is not a prioritize according to votes project because a. any user of PS deals with this ridiculousness, and 2. this is not a big job. The only "project" involved is coordinating with Documentation. You Adobe people should be ashamed.  That you are not is telling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm probably in this thread somewhere. I've posted on a variety of threads and initiated new threads about this issue for years. WHY does Adobe insist they would only respond to this if there was a vocal outcry from their users? How many UI changes have they made that NONE OF US asked for?
Since when is UI development user driven and democratic? What an idiotic position for Adobe to take.

This is simply an area of the UI that needs an upgrade, should not be dependent on user requests.
The save dialog box is clearly a friction point in a user's workflow. That file types are not easily arranged, or deprecated means that every SAVE requires more attention, clicks from the user.

Some file types I will never use, such as those for medical imaging. But those users who DO need those should be able to structure easy access.
Who in the world uses Scitex CT anymore? Targa? .IFF? EPS? DCS? In the Mesolithic I used DCS for spot color and 2 color duotones. Brilliant, but not needed in today's workflow.

So if it is user input Adobe wants in order to determine need then Adobe should have some sort of easy to use survey page. Not expect that a user will become so damn irritated that they will spend half an hour trying to find the correct venue to express their thoughts.

If there was a survey page that I could direct colleagues to, there are 45 users in my work group who would vote for this in a minute. But our priority is working, not trying to educate Adobe on an issue that has been brought to their attention for over 10 years, over and over.

This is a no brainer fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like this fixed. Just something simple. Like picture or video. Meme. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time for us all to pile onto the Photoshop Facebook page and let them know our displeasure. I'm happy to start it off, but it needs everyone not just to like the post, but add a "Me too!" comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do it! This is just a pathetic oversight and laziness on adobes part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's done, but the way they have their page set up, only they can post on the page. You need to look under "Visitor Posts". I also sent them a DM with the same info, but you won't be able to see that. Sent them the same one in 2018, never got an acknowledgement...

https://www.facebook.com/Photoshop/posts_to_page/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's too much noise on Facebook. Any suggestion posted there will just get lost; it is no more likely Adobe will take that seriously then that they will take this forum seriously. A better strategy would be to tell all of the Photoshop users you know to vote for this by clicking the Vote button at the top of this page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh...

I've been living with this for years decades as well. I use PSD, JPG, and PNG -- that's it. But like everyone else, I have to wade through 20+ file formats whenever I do a save-as, which I do frequently. e.g. to change name or file format.

FFS Adobe, just fix this already. If y'all don't want to code a UI fix, fine, then at least let us choose the file formats we want to see via the registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate