• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the reason Adobe doesn't make Photoshop or Lightroom for Linux is because of the Linus user being less than 2% of the market, then why does Adobe seem to favor Apple over Windows? Clearly it is well known that Photoshop for Windows has more bugs than that for Apple's OSX. Is it that Mac OSX users have a higher ration of using Photoshop than Windows users?

The only thing that prevents me from using Linux is Adobe products and I tend to like Microsoft Office over the free alternatives. I would also argueee that Lightroom would be a more essential to have on Linux than Photoshop since it covers most average users's needs.

What about the up and coming Photoshop for the Chrome Browser? It will work in Chrome's browser on every system except Linux. Could this be a possible bridge to finally have Photoshop or Lightroom on Linux?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it has been mentioned before, but if someone is still searching for another solution "free as in freedom"—you could use this light version of PS: Photoshop Express Editor, which works in the browser. Or as an alternative, you could create a free Creative Cloud account and upload your PSDs to Adobe's cloud storage system Assets (within a 2GB limit) and edit them in the browser as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac is NOT a Linux distro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most developers use Mac or Windows. Even if they develop for Android or the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you dont see is that a lot of web developers and designers (including me) have to switch from OS every single time (Linux for WebDevelopment and PC/MAC for design). And we use Linux not becuase it is free, because it is a need and its just better for a lot of tasks.

We would LOVE to have everything in a single OS.

Also, the growth of web standars is making the divisory line between graphic and web development/design thiner. Now is just much more common to see web designers using linux than 5 years ago. I hope you take in consideration that It is a great market appeal for us business owners to have our designers working in a safer enviroment (no viruses) at a better prices (PCs are more powerful per dollar) in a better OS (linux)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe had a Unix version of Photoshop.  They decided to kill it that was back in 1994 over twenty years ago.  Do you have any idea of how many lines of code Adobe has developed in the past twenty years.  While all of the code would not need to be rewritten for a Unix Like OS like Linux. It would be a huge under taken to get a Linux version up and running. It would require a good business case to justify such an expense. If you can develop a case that shows that it would good business take it to Adobe Management.

This is a user forum site there is no need to vent or hypothesize here.  This is not Adobe Feedback site that is Photoshop Family Customer Community

Some Linux users are running Photoshop virtually have you looked into that possibility?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft f**d the goat by forcing upgrades to Win10 and subsequently forcing system updates and reboots according to their own schedule.  I'm not sure what other business case you need at this point.  People will look for other options.

I can do my legacy via VM.  I do not think I can do my CC subscription via VM, however.

As others posted previously, I would also switch to a Linux CC version in a heart-beat if it was available.  I might consider even switching to Mac OS, as this is relatively "close," but it does require Mac HW vs using just a standard PC, so HW costs would double or triple for me.

I'm a small business, but that is the majority of the US business. There are other options available for Linux today, and while I think Adobe products are superior, I have to wonder why I need to spend money on a monthly subscription when I can have similar functionality for free.

As you ask for a business case from me, I similarly ask a business case from you.  Will you step up or continue to ignore?

-ml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you ask for a business case from me, I similarly ask a business case from you.  Will you step up or continue to ignore?

You know that JJMack is not an Adobe employee?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 changes things... Forced upgrades and reboots remind one more of the failed communist era versus a progressively improving technology. As an aside, forced upgrades and reboots are also not sustainable--especially in the enterprise business where backwards compatibility is key. Ergo, Mircrosoft just f**d itself in a very hard way.

While Windows will surely become deprecated by its own volition, the question to have Adobe products on Linux becomes more relevant. I could make-do with a VM optimized version of Adobe CC, but only if it ran under XP as Windows 7 is being forced by Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10. If XP support is not possible, then let's stop suggesting VM as a solution--as it is simply not realistic.

All of my servers are Linux already. They are integrated into AD and function just fine. I have a couple of steps left to go before decom'ing all of my remaining windows servers, but that's really neither here nor there. More importantly, I would love to drop Windows on the desktop, but things like Photoshop really stop me.

Adobe has a chance right now to seize on the moment before it becomes a tidal wave.

-ml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not mean to sound like I'm attacking JJMack--sorry if it came across that way. 

On other threads, Adobe employees have presented exactly the same line about "making a business case," etc.  I get that Adobe does not have infinite resources and therefore needs to allocate as best as it makes sense.  But Adobe did establish this forum for us, the customer, to voice a preference and opinion, and that is all I am trying to do.

The thread here is about having the core Adobe products available under Linux.  There is great reason to do this at this time.  Microsoft just flunked on their OS for the second time in a row--this is unheard of!  20 years ago, every OS they released was a huge hit.  Then, starting with Vista it became every other OS release that did OK.  Now, we have Win 8 that was a looser and Win 10 is shaping up to be the same. 

-ml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your desire versions of Adobe products that work on Linux.  Many Linux user do perhaps the majority of Linux users do.  I'm believe Adobe is aware of this.  Do you think Adobe is not aware of this?

If all Linux uses wanted and would purchase Adobe Products would that be a good business case?  I do not know the answer for I'm not qualified to answer that question.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@markus Lankeit I'm pretty sure Windows 7 is not being forced to upgrade to 10. Do you have any source for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are forgetting Windows 98 (first edition), and above all everyone has forgotten Windows Me. I think the jury is still out on Windows 10, there's nothing like the howls of pain we had from Windows 8...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google on forced windows updates & upgrade--I have screen shots (back home--out travelling for the week).

-ml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, and couldn't find anything. All I found were articles on how to force Windows 7 to update to Windows 10 (not sure why there would be articles on how to do that if Windows 7 is forced to be upgraded to Windows 10 anyway), and how to disable forced updates from Windows 10 (i.e. how to prevent additional updates after you've already installed Windows 10). I didn't see anything about there being a forced update from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What someone is being confused about here is that Windows 10 (once installed as a free upgrade) forces the user to receive security updates. There's no way to disable the automatic security updates in Windows 10.

However, there is no forced upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i'm writing from argentina so my english is not very good.
I only want to ask something: Did you think about the possibility if you release Adobe products for linux systems the amount of linux users will grow?.
Here i am, a web developer who think in buying a mac (nice developing enviroment + photoshop) instead using my pc with linux that im compiant with it.
Maybe is just that, companies putting money for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a Linux desktop user (yet). I'm on Mac (Windows at work) but I'm kind of forced to use Mac if I want to run Adobe software, installing windows at home is not an option. So I'm waiting for Photoshop and Lightroom to be ported to Linux so I can switch.

Sure you can use a VM, but then I still need a windows license. Or wine but i don't like that.

I think adobe should provide support for Linux, not because it generate more $$$ but it shows that they care about bringing their software to everyone. And CC makes this great, I love that I just can download CC and install the apps I want on whatever machine I'm on.

People don't switch because the major apps are not there yet, and companies don't make apps for the platform because people don't use it.... go figure we don't see any change.

Kudos to The Foundry for making awesome apps to many flavors of platforms. Now Adobe go and make Disney, ILM and all VFX users happy and make a working beta version for Linux

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow this thread is so entertaining.
I'm one of those Web Developers using linux who would love to see a PS port.

Objectively:
1. Is there anything we (those who wants/need PS on linux) can do to make it happen?
2. Are there any discussions at all within Adobe on this issue?

Now I do have a suggestion, if you guys are not sure it would generate revenue or not, why not throw a kickstarter and let the community fund your efforts. I would be happy to pay for my Linux PS copy in advance and I bet many others would too.

Having said that I think I know Adobe's response: "No", me: "Why?", Adobe: "Because I don't want to"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to deal with Adobe official web site for  Adobe Photoshop wishes use Photoshop Family Customer Community

I think I know Adobe's response: "No Why?", "Because the income revenue  would not recover the development, maintenance and support cost"

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kind of agree to this. I really think Lightroom would be better marketed for Linux OS. The main reason being that your average photographer doesn't need all the bells and whistles that Photoshop can do. If Lightroom did well on Linux, creating Photoshop might make more sense. The reality is I think Adobe products can run faster on Linux OS than other operating systems.

I think Valve's new Steam Machines will definitely change the way Linux Distros are making packages to in the future. The big problem with Linux is their packaging system that even Linus Torvalds criticizes is the main problem here.

On another note they are making Photoshop for the Chrome OS and Chrome browser (running on Windows and Mac only). Chrome OS is built off of the Linux Kernel. Maybe using the Chrome browser to run Photoshop and later Lightroom would be a compromise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long-time Windows developer and user here, and I use Linux as well.  I'm slowly switching over since I don't trust Windows 10's data collection policies and I really don't like the direction they're taking with Universal apps and the push to Azure for their APIs.  However, I really like the developer tools they are making available for Linux, particularly Visual Studio Code.  Microsoft is embracing Linux, since they know that's where the future of developers lives.

People who consume content use iOS, Android, and to some extent Windows.

People who create content are increasingly migrating to Linux (and Mac).  I think this is a fundamental shift in the development world; even 5 years ago, the majority of developers I worked with online were on Windows.  Now, especially with the increasingly widespread use of GitHub, more and more people are moving to whatever OS they like because the target platform is the web.  This means people finally can move to Linux without missing out on the tools they need to create content.

I have a Creative Cloud subscription because I use it for the work that I do.  I am a professional, and I have no problem paying for software that I use.  I would happily use CC on Linux if I could.  As it is, I run Linux (Ubuntu) on my primary workstation and Windows on my laptop for graphics work.

Just my two cents.  I've been around for a long time and I think the "year of Linux" on the desktop is coming; it just won't be for consumers - but that's not the customer base Adobe targets anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Linux desktop becomes a large market and most developer adapted Linux as their major or sole OS and would be developing products for the Linux community. I would think Adobe would see a large Linux community as a business opportunity and developer products for the Large Linux community.  Right now the numbers are not there Linux has been around foe many years has proven itself a as good development tool. It is use all over the place by developers. I'm sure IBM, HP, Apple, Microsoft have their share of Linux machine. Still Linux is not a mass market compared to Windows and Apple market.  Photoshop started on Mac for Programmers like Tom liked developing on Mac for his hobby.  His brother and Adobe saw an opportunity.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2016 Jan 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am one of those that brings the Windows market share up and I am not proud of it, I bought a Windows 8.1 licens as my Mac Pro broke and I could not afford a new one (and I don´t know if I want one as they are som non-cuztomizable). I bought a PC with specs that was better that the Mac Pro for half the price and now with Windows on it, the specs are lower. I would love a Linux version of PS, ID and LR. And I am a CC member for now one and a half year. So as soon as there is an alpha version of PS I will switch to Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe CC (creative cloud) to be available on Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate