• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then we have to buy Apple Hardware, and I hate the design of their hardware, and how closed-off everything is.  I'm sure many in the Linux camp are not excited about giving up most of their freedom; though it is certainly preferable to Windows in nearly every way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel way too uneducated about the software engineering and platform related topic in this thread to comment on anything but my own use-case.

I'm a freelance illustrator (I draw and paint). My one and only piece of software for conducting business both for work and lifestyle 90% of my time is Photoshop.

I am subscribed to a Photoshop CC license.

I can't say I am making anything but a guess potentially educated by knowing my peers in the illustration and concept design community (locally, globally, small or largely).

But in my own case and my estimate of my peers concerns is that _we don't use Linux at all_ primarily because Photoshop is not available.

I've tried most Linux-available software in which you can paint and edit pixel images like in Photoshop and have never had any option but to stay with Photoshop. Nothing I've tried (Painter included for measure) comes close to efficiency and performance.

This is my past 15 years of computer use and student and professional life summed up in one easy explanation as to Linux use.

Linux looks beautiful and luring since I got to know it, try it, and keep seeing it used by programmer friends.

I would love to get a Linux workstation and start working on a Linux platform.

What keeps me using Windows is 2 things: habit/convenience and no Photoshop.

I guess that maybe the statistics are always going to be hard to interpret unless a central powerhouse of (2D) CG work such as Photoshop (for me PS in particular) were available on Linux.

My friends are totally divided between Mac and Windows and the difference is uninteresting as long as we have a good machine that runs Photoshop as well as possible. This is how we consider a machine, and how we prioritise hardware and platform.

Photoshop comes first. Performance is everything! I would use some unheard-of OS if it gave me a 120% performance boost in Photoshop.

We're artists and PS users first and care about OS second.

Personally I'm way more likely to switch my 3D package use from whichever package I use to Blender both for Blender's strong merits in and of itself and for the portability, if only PS were available on Linux.

Linux keeps staying alluring, beautiful-looking, and interesting to me same way as 10 years ago but unless my main tool of trade is available... I simply don't have time or interest to have a Linux machine or dual-boot situation.

I don't get notified by surveys other than the pop-up that comes up at PS launch that allows you to rate the product and provide some feedback.

I spend every character on conveying my most desired PS improvements and a Linux port is not my main concern however if PS were available as a real port on Linux then I would consider using Linux for sure! 🙂

I love Photoshop. Writing this on a ubuntu machine at a friends place. I've always had a slight Linux draw/interest but a select two-at most tools of my trade keep me in Windows and recently, it's mostly only Photoshop (and Ableton for me). (Nuke, Blender, 3D Coat are already available for Linux so a switch wouldn't be far off).

This has very little relevance to the expertise previous posters have shared but I am confident enough to expect that many CG professionals like me would have the same sentiment.

I've probably exhausted my say in the matter already and can only express my 2 cents. I for one will always pay for a PS license and the one factor deciding if I would install Linux on a machine is PS! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First things first: don’t give up on Photoshop just yet! With a little knowledge and elbow grease, it may be possible to run Photoshop as-is on your Linux distro. This is done by using an emulator called Wine (which stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wine is a dumb compromise, Adobe should pull their thumb out and support Linux natively!

I am not a Windows or Mac user but i wish to use Photoshop? I am screwed. As Linux usage pushed from 2-3% surely Adobe could plan to get some support already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for Linux support.

No Linux support says to me that Adobe do not really care about their product or users that much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like most businesses Adobe main concern is to make a profit. Before they support additional platforms  Adobe needs to fix the bugs in their products for the platforms they support. That would improve their image and profits more than supporting additional platforms with their current ported code with additional bugs..   Photoshop has many bugs.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can hardly wait for someone to make a tool to rival Photoshop for Linux. I hate Adobe for forcing users to stick with outdated, crappy operating systems and for conspiring against Linux. I imagine they've made some kind of deal with Microsoft and Apple.

I'm one of the thousands of people stuck using Windows 7 solely for Photoshop, and Linux for everything else. Because of this great inconvenience, I absolutely refuse to ever pay for Photoshop or any other Adobe product. I've been pirating them for years, which is the best option so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to make it east for Adobe to prosecute you. Why not state how many years you have been doing that.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any way can i install Photoshop cc 2017 on Ubuntu os without wine app ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems unlikely to happen but you can still lend your support to an existing Feature Request:

Photoshop: Provide support for Linux | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Stackoverflow Survey 2017, Linux Desktop is the second most common platform used by developers: https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2017#technology-platforms

It is also the most loved: https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2017#technology-most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted-platforms

I know that me and my developer collegues would buy Photoshop if it would be available for Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will run Photoshop and Illustrator in a VM for eternity ... or until you make them native on linux. I think there's a ton of devs waiting for this, because Windows is a caveman O/S, and Macs are overpriced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Oscar: and Macs are overpriced... and annoying and egocentric and ugly (imho). Currently I'm using Aftershot Pro and Gimp which work very well for me as a photographer. As a webdesigner I'm using Inkscape + Gimp, and that combination also works for me. Using a Linux convertor I can even deliver cmyk files to a print service or publisher, never had any complaints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to have to take a look at Aftershot Pro. Being that I'm a long time Photoshop user (and paid Adobe a lot of money for all the upgrades over the years), I've really felt like moving away from it is only worth it if there's something that is at least as good. My experience with Gimp was that it wasn't. Even something like a clipping mask, which is easy in PS is just not possible with Gimp (or it wasn't the last time I tried). I use clipping masks a lot, so it's a must have feature for me.

Same thing goes for Illustrator. I haven't tried Inkscape, but I will. I can tell you one thing for sure, if Adobe doesn't make native Linux versions of their software, I will never be there customer again. I may someday be forced to use Gimp. I moved away from other operating systems a couple years ago, and with the exception of Photoshop and Illustrator, everything else I need is available for Linux. Most of it for free, as you know. I'm never going back to Windows or Mac (unless I'm paid a lot to do it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right ofcourse, I remember I used clipping masks a lot when exporting eps files for publishers. Because I don't do a lot of desktop publishing anymore I can do without Photoshop and Illustrator. Gimp took me a while in getting used to it, and except some things I miss, like simply Ctrl-click on a layer with transparency to select the object in that layer, clicking the mask tool and voila..., I even like working with Gimp more than I did with Photoshop.

By the way, I only use Aftershot Pro for raw converting, but since I use it, I barely touch Gimp. And when I have to, I can click on External Editor to open Gimp and there I can edit the image as a tif image. The only thing is that Gimp can't handle 16 and 32 bit images just yet, only the new development version and upcoming version 2.9.

So you are absolutely right about the advantages of Photoshop and Illustrator. I just coped and got used to the current limitations, which gave me one big win: I don't have to deal with the frustrations of working with Windows or Apple ;).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree and back to the original question. When will I be able to use Photoshop in Linux?

I don't want wine, nor dual boot. I want a PC , an OS I like, Photoshop and I don't mind paying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that Adobe will never create a Linux Photoshop version. So my answer would perhaps in your next life time.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

twilson2  wrote

I agree and back to the original question. When will I be able to use Photoshop in Linux?

I don't want wine, nor dual boot. I want a PC , an OS I like, Photoshop and I don't mind paying

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you do not like either WINE or dual booting, why not install VirtualBox, and run Photoshop in seamless mode? (And create a shortcut on the desktop!). It will look and feel as if you are running Photoshop natively on Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

www.rifky.net  wrote

In my opinion, photoshop better used in windows only, if used in linux, how to license it later ???

There is no difference between running Photoshop/CC in a virtual machine and a 'real' physical machine. You install the CC app, log in, and install Photoshop and run it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also photographer from Russia, and using Darktable/Rawtherapee/Aftershot for editing RAW files. But if Adobe will do Lightroom and Photoshop for Linux, its will be very cool.
Shut up, and take my money 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We as a company install and support Linux for our customers. One of our oldest client is a magazine publisher, whose whole infrastructure runs on linux. only for proof checking images they have a windows box in a vm for photoshop. They sure would pay for a photoshop on linux license, but not for windows os.
So please adobe people port PS to linux and cash in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11 year and not support, lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meaning what, exactly???

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people says Linux is not attractive because is not commercial...

but the reason why many users choose OS X as his operating system is because it's quite stable and has a lot of good software running well on it, such as Adobe Photoshop and other Multimedia tools.

Many clients would move to Linux If they could continue using their programs properly.

Linux is at least as stable as OS X and can run on any hardware and it's cheaper.

Other important companies have done move and are very happy about it, for example  Siemens NX and Catia, much more expensive and professional softwares,  are available for Linux. So are specialized tools for Video edition, such as Nuke.  Their clients look for the most powerful and stable systems, and can run these applications even on multiprocessor Xeon platforms with Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate