• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 684 Replies 684
683 Comments
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gerardp83748907 wrote:

Is there no plan to bring Photoshop or any other CC app to Linux just like Substance Painter is? Why would you support Substance Painter and not other apps of the CC ecosystem?

Allegorithmic only recently merged with Adobe, so it's possible that Substance was already available for Linux before the merge.

You can upvote and add your comments to this thread in the "Ideas" section for the developers to track: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/p-provide-support-for-linux/idi-p/12250371

Note, though, that the thread says there are no plans to develop Photoshop for Linux.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dear Adobe! Please make a GNU/Linux support for your awesome products!

With love, Artur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried varius times over the last 15 years switching my complete workflow to Linux. Always to be limited by your Applications. I would love to use Linux without a dual boot drive for Windows, with Adobe CC installed. Especially since NVIDIA made a move a few days ago. Without Adobe I can run about 95% of my workflow software on Debian. Please make a move, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pleno 2022, ano da copa, ano da tecnologia e a adobe não lança uma versão pra linux.

Sim, eu sei que sse assunto já render muito, mas a insatisfação continua incomodando portanto esse post vale de lembrete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's an adobe business decision.  but it's pretty easy to see why no linux: 

many linux users think all software should be free and there aren't enough (that would pay) to make it worth adobe's while.

but these are user forums, so if you think you have a novel suggestion that's not been assessed by adobe (you'd be wrong), but if you think you're correct, you can make a suggestion to adobe here, for applicable apps, use https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html for others, use https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the reply by Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021) here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/the-lounge-discussions/waiting-for-linux-native-softwares-cloud-on-li...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this from Download & Install to The Lounge.

Do you know that I worked 30 years ago on a Silicon Graphics Workstation under the Irix OS, and Photoshop was available for that machine? Irix was Silicon Graphics flavour of a System V Unix. Linux is a flavour of Unix. It is not a problem to port a software to a different OS. Adobe did do that with their software multiple times. The difficulty is that the user base is not there.

This question has been answered multiple times.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seu sonho, pesadelo para a Adobe.

Você pode usar:

• Windows 11, Windows 10,
  • MacOS Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina,
  • iOS, Android, Windows Mobile...

[Moderator merged with original Linux topic.]

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like Photoshop since its first versions and I do want to use it always when I need to work with images, BUT I hate Windows more and more and I'm using Linux OS's more often... I want to purchase Creative Cloud but I can't find Linux versions of Adobe software, so many people I know are forced to use Mac or windows JUST to RUN Adobe software.... but windows become worse and people trying to quit it and only because they can't use apps like Photoshop they still using it... do you have perspectives on supporting Linux? 

So what solution do you have now for Linux OS (something stable and popular like Debian based)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlikely that Adobe will ever support Linux. That market is infinitesimal and the potential to recoup the development cost it would take to convert a complex app like PS or others just isn't there. It stinks, but that's just the way it is.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but then either users will search for their own solution for that problem (like using Wine, Virtual machine, etc) OR will start to use other software more often, eventually bypassing all functions of Photoshop (then it will be too late to start migration for Adobe, because really I know and heard of A LOT of DESIGN Agencies and Designers who switching or searching for solutions for switching from windows and even macs and Linux OS's are become stronger and better nowadays)...

Currently statistics which Adobe uses about popularity of OSs are wrong - many people forced to use OS/Platform (Win/Mac) just because of some apps they want to have...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Currently statistics which Adobe uses about popularity of OSs are wrong"

Do you have inside info on Adobe's research and which statistics they use? I'd love to hear how they make desisions, if you're free to share this info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently statistics which Adobe uses about popularity of OSs are wrong

By @Pr0Serg

I don't know what statistics Adobe uses because they haven't shared that with us. If you know, please share!

This is from w3schools, which says that at their last reporting, Linux is at 4%. When I scrolled down to previous years, I saw that this is the lowest they have been since 2008 when they were at 3.8%. 

https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

5913A0B5-9A57-4C99-9BC2-3BC9078F2EEB.jpeg

As to whether or not Adobe will ever support Linux, we don't know as they haven't told us. We can only give our personal opinions. Anyone with insider information would be under NDA.

Here's what we can tell you: Photoshop for Web is in beta and can be used by Linux. You need a subscription that includes Photoshop, which it sounds like you have.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/photoshop-web-faq.html

Photoshop (beta) has its own forum:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta/ct-p/ct-photoshop-beta

I hope this helps,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who's to say? Some programs last thirty years like PS, others disappear within three years despite using all the latest technology. Apps come and go and nobody can predict which ones will be successful and which ones won't. The rest is of no consequence. If you assume 4% of Linux users overall, how many of those are actually graphics designers or similar? Adobe thinks in millions of users, not 10000. This is a whole different thing than the various VFX compositing and 3D apps that are used on Linux and that in itself is still just a niche market. The numbers just don't add up even if no doubt Adobe could afford it financially and write off the losses.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An M1/M2 Mac looks awfully sweet. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there must be loads of people who would dearly love to dump MSFT and it's stranglehold on Windows. There is of course Linux. Peppermint is moving from strength to strength, but there appears to be nothing doing in so far as support from Adobe for Linux. 

To help us living 'on the edge' types, why not offer the older versions of Photoshop - even new Photoshop alone, but just for Linux?

All support welcome

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All support welcome

By @Mary28105188tyfd

Hi Mary,

You can use Linux with Photoshop for Web (beta), which requires a subscription that includes Photoshop.

To help us living 'on the edge' types, why not offer the older versions of Photoshop - even new Photoshop alone, but just for Linux?

Adobe only offers the current version and one previous of their apps. None of these are compatible with Linux. I've read that some folks install Photoshop using a VM or Wine.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion keeps popping up here in one form or another at regular intervals.

As far as I know there are actually no plans that there's a Photoshop version Linux.

P: Provide support for Linux (2011) – Seite 4 - Adobe Support Community - 12250371

Gelöst: Adobe, Linux Support, and the Linux Foundation. - Adobe Support Community - 10429108

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.4 - Photoshop 25.9.1 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, unfortunately a Creative Cloud subscription (the compounded cost)
is really for regular business users, who can offset it, and not for the
occasional use only of just one application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are a business designed to make profit. They aren't part of your campaign to dump Microsoft. I don't understand the refererence to "offering" old versions for Linux. It would take years of development and tens of millions of dollars to convert for Linux, and they no longer work on old versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mary28105188tyfd wrote:

Thanks, unfortunately a Creative Cloud subscription (the compounded cost) is really for regular business users, who can offset it, and not for the occasional use only of just one application.

The Photography plan with 20 gb storage (annual) is deeply discounted and payable at $9.99 per month or in a lump sum. If that's out of your price range, I am wondering why you are asking about Photoshop for Linux at all? You can get a 7-day trial to see if PS for Web works for you. Be sure to cancel if it does not.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mary28105188tyfd  I've merged your thread with an existing thread on the same subject.

Note the official response from Adobe  at the top of the thread which states 'We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.'

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The problem with Cloud is that it means funding a bundle of applications even if someone only wants one and for occasional use.

There was obviously profit in PS before this happened, owing to the ongoing versions and updates, and that was an affordable viable long term iniative.

Not everyone wants their work stored in the Cloud, but very heavy multiple size apps make it necessary as it swamps local storage space 

I don't think there's a huge amount of cost in running an old version with Linux and clearing any unexpected bugs (AI?) . The outcome of bundling all the programs at higher cost has obviously been the movement to free equivalent applications, when all that really needs to happen is keeping an older one bug free. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mary28105188tyfd wrote:

"but there appears to be nothing doing in so far as support from Adobe for Linux"

and

The problem with Cloud is that it means funding a bundle of applications even if someone only wants one and for occasional use.

and

unfortunately a Creative Cloud subscription ... is really for regular business users 

Hi Mary,

I'm confused. From your first post, it sounded as if you were interested in Adobe for Linux, but your later posts seem to object to the costs even if it were available, which it is not. Earlier versions of Photoshop will not work will Linux. Neither will current versions.

We are not allowed to recommend non-Adobe applications, but you might do a web search for "image editors" and "Linux" to see what comes up that you can afford and also works with Linux.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate