• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 684 Replies 684
683 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly - given the comments from Adobe staff in the threads linked above, I would not hold my breath 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. And for a related example, you might see how many apps have been ported to iOS but not Android. I suspect Android users who would like access to Adobe apps may outnumber Linux users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SomeGuyInTheLaptop you've received some pretty definintive responses from the previous post yet you post a new thread again. Please refer to the answer given on the previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using this chart from Staista — which gives us Internet users by OS rather OS users, but it's the best I could find — and accepting ProDesignTools estimate that 30 million people have paid for Creative Cloud subscriptions, and 'guessing' that they all use Photoshop, we can do the math and estimate that If Adobe did code Photoshop for Linux, another 3.25 people would pay for it.

image.png

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait... So you think it may someday happend?

By @SomeGuyInTheLaptop

That's not what I said and you're trying to put words in my mouth that I didn't say. I have no idea what the future will bring.

I only know that in the present, Adobe Employee strawbo13 said, "We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux"... 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/p-provide-support-for-linux-2011/idi-p/1225...

janee_0-1704407741906.png

...and retired former Adobe Principal Scientist Dov Isaacs said, "If it makes no business sense, then such versions are simply not going to be produced."

https://community.adobe.com/t5/the-lounge-discussions/waiting-for-linux-native-softwares-cloud-on-li...

janee_1-1704408089792.png

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, there is already some history about this. Some years ago, Corel, once a major competitor to Adobe, released the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite for Linux. Corel had a chance to gain market share in the Linux market for commercial graphics suites, maybe beating Adobe in that market.

But, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite for Linux was not successful, and was quickly cancelled. Apparently there was not a significant Linux market for major commercial graphics suites, and no one else has tried since then. The popular commercial graphics suite by Affinity (Photo, Designer, Publisher) is also not available for Linux; their platforms are macOS, Windows, and iPad OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The situation is changing, personal security that comes with non MS software is rising in importance for many people, and Linux itself is improving. I suggest you  search Amazon for Linux and you'll find loads of hardware products now, including mini computers which support Linux.

Moreover Adobe have mistakenly lost a segment of their former client base, those people who are not regular users of Photoshop so can't justify the significant monthly cost of the entire suite. This group have obviously shifted to free products but could be enticed back with the Linux compatibility offering. It's big enough for Blender to offer this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just watch. in another year linux will rule the world. 

oh wait, that's what linux users said last year. and the year before, and the year before that etc.  check the date of rhe first post in this thread.

and next year, i predict... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux doesn't have to rule the world in order to be appropriate for certain focused applications. Adobe CC is a niche product, not something that everyone is likely to run on a multi-purpose computer. The machine on which I run CC doesn't have any other purpose. It exists for me to edit photos for my business.

And for God's Sake, it bluescreens about twice a day with a very unhelpful Windows error. I'd pay extra to be rid of Windows.

And no, Apple is out of the question. I made the switch to Windows in order to build a machine to my specifications, something extremely difficult with Apple's closed architecture.

[Abusive comment removed by moderator]

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also keep in mind that if Adobe does port an application like Photoshop to Linux, it is unlikely to be ported as a simple standalone application like GIMP. It will probably be tightly connected with all of the cloud services that the Windows and Mac versions are now inextricably tied to. It would very likely be a cloud-based installer that also installs numerous networked components to support those Creative Cloud services, such as Adobe Fonts (which are fully cloud-based), Cloud Documents, Creative Cloud Libraries, maybe Lightroom Photos (in the cloud), Share for Review, and other Creative Cloud services. And they might need to develop and install a framework to allow the Adobe Color Engine to provide a proper layer for color management (I’m not sure if Linux has the same quality of OS-level color management that Windows and macOS have).

I only bring this up because a number of Windows and macOS users have already posted in this Community with questions about the number of non-optional Creative Cloud processes that are installed even with just one application, listed in OS process managers along with their RAM and CPU footprints, set to persistently run as background processes, and some maintaining their own network connections back to their cloud services. Many people use Linux because of a strong desire to maintain more manual control over their system configurations, but any Creative Cloud apps that become available on Linux would probably also not let the user control or permanently disable any of those networked Creative Cloud background processes.

And again, if a Linux market is viable, it should be relatively easy to convince a smaller company like Affinity that they would see a nice first mover advantage over Adobe on Linux if they would just port their apps, and that might show Adobe that they should do Linux too. But nobody seems to be pursuing that opportunity, except Corel who actually tried it, and then gave up.

I’m personally not opposed to Linux ports at all, I sincerely hope you get them…I’m just sayin' 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe has developer with skils to code outstanding functionality in their software. It's not market share it's what library and the stack Software can be easy migrate to Linux with existed code base. It's just to much work to make Fedora or Ubuntu Version.Why?

For Linux we have now only reasonable "Portal API" is system agnostic.

For 2D is skia.

For 3D opengl on Linux we can use messa.

For Gnome we have developer platform guide.

For KDE we have developer platform guide too.

For packages there is Deb (Ubunt) and RPM (Fedora) format.

Universal package :package: on Linux: Flatpak, Snap, Appimages.

https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/portal-api-reference.html

https://skia.org/about/

https://www.mesa3d.org/

https://developer.gnome.org/

https://develop.kde.org/docs/

https://snapcraft.io/

https://appimage.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one solution that could work out of the box.

Compile the whole software against wine library.

In such way - there is possibility to incorporate the wine source library. Less work more effect. Ouput will be binary compatibilities with Linux target :direct_hit:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Visual studio Linux output with wine source instruction look like that:

To create a Linux binary using Visual Studio and the Wine source library for an existing codebase, you can follow these steps:  1. **Install Visual Studio and Wine**:    - Ensure Visual Studio is installed on your Windows machine.    - Obtain the Wine source library, which allows Windows applications to run on Linux.  2. **Install Visual C++ for Linux Development in Visual Studio**:    - In Visual Studio, go to Tools -> Get Tools and Features.    - Install the “Visual C++ for Linux Development” extension.  3. **Open Your Existing Project in Visual Studio**:    - Open your existing codebase in Visual Studio.  4. **Configure Project for Linux Target**:    - Right-click on your project in the Solution Explorer.    - Go to Properties -> Configuration Properties.    - Set the target system to Linux. Specify the connection information for a Linux machine or VM where the compilation will occur.  5. **Integrate Wine Library**:    - Include the Wine headers and link against the Wine libraries in your project settings.    - Ensure compatibility with the target Linux system.  6. **Modify Code for Linux Compatibility (if necessary)**:    - Review and modify your code to ensure it is compatible with Linux and the Wine environment. This might include conditional compilation, different API calls, etc.  7. **Build the Project**:    - Compile the project in Visual Studio. It uses the connected Linux machine or VM for the compilation process.  8. **Testing on Linux**:    - Test the compiled binary on a Linux environment to ensure it works correctly with Wine.  9. **Debug and Optimize**:    - Use Visual Studio's remote debugging features to debug any issues on the Linux machine.  10. **Deploy the Linux Binary**:     - Once you're satisfied with the testing, you can deploy the Linux binary.  Keep in mind that the performance and compatibility of your application can vary significantly depending on how well Wine supports the specific Windows APIs your application uses. Extensive testing in the target environment is crucial to ensure functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past Microsoft has an offline os without any data collecting which runs on everything.

Now we have a data cloud collector os full of advertisement, which will go completely in the cloud in the near future. At 2025 many working systems will be electronic waste, or you have to pay.

Adobe has not to support all Linux distributions. They should concentrate on one  LTS distribution like Ubuntu 22.04. which Linux they will support is totally equal for me. But I want to leave Microsoft. But I can't because of Microsoft big brother Adobe.

How big are the performance lost of running Adobe cloud in wine?

Never heard that it will work. Is it possible to see a video howi have to install and how it perform?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that earlier versions of Photoshop and Lightroom will work in Wine, but the current versions (Adobe CC) will not. I've read that there's no way to make it work in Wine and perhaps that was deliberate.

I agree with you, any version of Linux will do. The fact that Linux is fragmented is a spurious argument. It doesn't matter. Whatever version of Linux Adobe would port to, we would come to them.

Again, Adobe CC is a niche product. Arguing that it needs to only support the most popular operating systems (osx and windows) is specious, as the REASON we professional photographers are ON osx or windows is BECAUSE that's where Adobe CC runs. Adobe has cause and effect reversed.

My Adobe CC machine is essentially a console. I don't do anything else with it. And as such, it doesn't matter how general-purpose the OS is.

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't understand why this dicussion keeps rolling on and on, repeating itself over and over, when the answer has been so clearly stated by Adobe officials, again over and over.

• Photoshop for Linux will happen the day it makes business sense to do so. Until that day, it will not happen.

There isn't anything else to say. That's the one and only answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. This is not true it's false. More OS like Fedora or Ubuntu it's expand as whole of Portfolio of product. Is rather question how hard would be target :direct_hit: Linux and if would be even harder to maintenance that production Version of this linux build target :direct_hit: If after setup Software chained to Linux output - will be effortless to maintain that already would Adobe has that product. As was said before - they has supper taletned people on board - so it's only tech issue of library and compile stack.Why? Ideal situation will be changes/fix/maintain occure version to version on main codebase and output target set Linux do not make additional Linux related bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Nope. This is not true it's false'

Of course it is true. If Adobe thought it was financially worth doing they would do it.

As evidenced by the comments from staff - to date they do not. Remember business sense means , porting, maintaining, compatibility with the future roadmap, training developers and support staff, integration with other Adobe products...etc  The most important of all is Return on Investment, without that, there is no business case.

Business sense and technical difficulty are not the same thing.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Accept their answer; pick up your alternative workflows, of which there are many. Adobe wants to do it's own thing.

Covering demographic as a means to stay relevant in the new age of FOSS accelerated by AI is a lot to comprehend.

Let it go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope still false. Try to imagine that select target and resolve issues on one codebase with multiple target :direct_hit:.

Screenshot_20240105-110603.png

But was mentioned that more na more function go to AI and web so Problem more and more fadeout because of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. There is web standards ( like WebGL, WebAssembly, etc) and AI and it's push out old aproche to make applications in FOSS and Commercial licence that is now  not Tightly stich to only that or this OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_20240105-111136.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish you guys would stop blowing-up my mailbox with this rediculous fantasy.  Adobe won't port to Linux because Linux users won't stand for this overbearing, subscription-based collection of bloatware taking over their entire system.  If the alternative tools already available for Linux aren't good enough they will gladly devote a Windows PC or Mac to Adobe to keep this crapware off their Linux box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just use windows because of adobe software, i hate windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate