• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 684 Replies 684
683 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You built a machine that crashes twice a day? Congratulations on that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit whining and just get a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or a properly built pc.  i've never see a bsod since owning my current computer (~4+ years).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and this is why this thead is supposed to be locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a, agree -  The interoperability that brought by AI ( that started in mass-scale ) last year and web technology stanadard - brings good news to provaide Desktop/Mobile/PaaS/SaaS to Any OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be wrong to move current discussions into a locked thread.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm per team this thread is to remain locked. The subject has a definitive answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kglad wrote: i think it's wrong to move and amass posts like rhis thread

Are you saying you agree that the other thread should never have been merged into this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have worked in the computer systems field for over 60 years before retiring. I have worked in early Data Entry, and then as a programmer, systems engineer., and technician.  I was a software engineer developing the OS on a military "minicomputer" project in the early 70s that was smaller than the original IBM PC.  I was also one of the 1st to use the early LINUX OS developed by Linus Torvalds and I helped develop the 1st software for a "Radiation Treatment Planning System" for cancer therapy.  I was an early adopter of the early Apple computers and the IBM PC when it first arrived.

I still use LINUX on my primary SERVER, some workstations, and laptops.  LINUX is still a great OS for servers and for other workstations.  This comment is being written on a small HP Server running "Debian LINUX".  LINUX is still one of the most used OS on small (and many larger) servers, and is far from dead!

I believe the primary reason that Adobe has dropped support for LINUX is due to their inability to buy the "rights" to the OS!  They seem to be buying up all the software they can get!  I have always liked most  Adobe products, but they can't have everything!  I will continue to use LINUX for my servers and on some workstations!  I do use MS Windows on some machines, but mostly small laptops.  I certainly hope that others will not just drop LINUX, but will continue to support Adobe products where they choose.  ADOBE should reconsider their moves and the people and support they will lose!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropping support for Linux?

Photoshop was never released for Linux - only Mac and Windows operating systems. Adobe staff have confirmed on several occasions that they have no plans to support Linux.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not make software for Linux because they (likely correctly) project that the cost would far exceed the revenue from a port. Its a business decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the primary reason that Adobe has dropped support for LINUX is due to their inability to buy the "rights" to the OS! 

By @Philip364738674ixr

I think their chances of buying the rights to Windows and Apple operating systems aren't any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple could eat Adobe for a snack between meals...people really don't realize how big Apple is. They're second only to Saudi Aramco.

But watch out for Nvidia! AI has really put a rocket under them, and some say they might overtake Apple. If I were a gambling man, that's where my 100 bucks would go 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a version for Silicon Graphics IRIX, but I think that stopped after v3.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which particular Adobe software are you referring to?

I believe Adobe has produced some software like the Acrobat Reader, Flash, Air and a

few others for Linux operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to support Linux again. As of last year, Linux hit 4% of the global market share while macOS is in decline. Programmers and Developers dominate the linux market, yes, and they build games, and often that includes graphic design. Here is a link showing the numbers https://itsfoss.com/linux-market-share/ 

I am constantly disappointed in adobe for their refusal to support linux. I'm tired of giving you my money when you don't reward innovation. Linux as a pc is better than macOS and Windows in every single way for the enduser, professional or casual. You'd think with the constant requests, Adobe would catch the hint. I'm very sorry, but unless something changes soon, I'll have to go. I know my little 60 a month isn't any big deal for the corporate bigboys and bottom line cranks, but why pay for something I don't have access to bc it is designed to work on substandard OSes? And Adobe won't even support Firefox for it's web based apps. Incredible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like an opinion that is not shared by 96% of computer users. Linux is great for some things but superior to macOS? Not a chance. As for "macOS is in decline", then why does Apple have the number one selling line of portable computers?

Photoshop on Linux would be a huge money-loser if it was even possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of last year, Linux hit 4% of the global market share while macOS is in decline.

By @Jennifer3144145748u5 

Those market share numbers may be for the market in general, which includes general business offices, hospitals, governments, and factories. But the market share numbers that matter in this thread are people who are willing to pay for a subscription for advanced creative photography software. The last published numbers I saw for Photoshop were a few years ago, but they were much closer to 50/50% Windows/Mac.

This mistake is made often, and it’s not how things are done. A specific developer actually pays attention to the income potential for their specific market, not for general markets including those that their software is not relevant to. Assuming the important market share percentage for macOS is the general 4% figure, when it is actually closer to 50% in this Photoshop market, could represent a major miscalculation as to where the market potential really is. A mistake that big is to be avoided.

For example, although iOS share of users is significantly lower than Android worldwide, many developers favor iOS because its worldwide share of app revenue has traditionally been larger than Android despite having fewer users.

I’m not against a Linux version. If they make one, I will cheer along with you! I’m just saying that we should have a proper understanding of the numbers Adobe is actually concerned with. The question they would ask here is what is the income potential of Linux vs Windows vs macOS in the Photoshop market specifically.

Another issue might be which Linux distributions to support. I don’t work for Adobe but if they see one Linux distribution as too small to support, but they see multiple Linux distributions are too much work to support, that might be another reason they back off.

And a reminder to be careful what you wish for. What many Linux users want is Photoshop as a standalone app they can install like other Linux apps. What Adobe is currently doing on all supported platforms (desktop, mobile, web) is installing the app plus a large number of additional background processes needed to tie that app (like Photoshop) to many Creative Cloud online services including Adobe Fonts, HTML servers for content, cloud servers for AI features, etc. Creative Cloud Libraries, Cloud Documents, license validation, and so on. These additional background processes constantly communicate with Adobe servers, and run even if Photoshop is not running. For some Linux users, this goes against the lean, simple, offline way they want to run their computers, and it also means Photoshop cannot be a “portable” app (won’t run off a USB stick) because there are too many background processes that are installed on and run from the system volume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linux has made its mark in mobile phones.  otherwise, it has gone nowhere in desktop os'es in the past 30 years.  give it another few decades and it might near 10% of market share, but probably not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely agree, it's not a matter of what the general public uses, it's a matter of what this particular niche market would use. I haven't looked into it myself, but I believe OSX numbers are going down, especially in a down economy. But that's not important. The real metric is how many Adobe customers are on OSX vs Windows. Adobe CC is very much a niche application.

I would say we do not know what the Linux numbers are because Adobe CC is not available on Linux, making the numbers theoretical.

But the long term existence of this thread and the number of contributors seems to indicate that it would be SOMETHING.

I started out on a Mac, but grew tired of Apple's draconic control of the hardware and switched to a platform over which I had more control. For instance, memory that isn't #%)(%*7 soldered to the motherboard.

But currently, the only OS Adobe supports on non-Mac hardware is Windows. I hate Windows. Everything I do is in a browser, EXCEPT Adobe CC. This product is the only reason I still have Windows on my desk.

If Adobe ported Lightroom Classic and Photoshop (the real Photoshop, not the toy that runs on Android) to ANY version of Linux, say any of the user friendly versions -- Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, or if you wanted to go industrial with support, Red Hat, I'd drop Windows and never look back. I do not need this operating system on my desk for anything OTHER than Adobe. It's infuriating.

Every once in a while I look at Darktable, and currently the only thing holding me back from doing the migration is figuring out how to migrate a library of 300,000 photos and retain changes. If the Darktable developers ever provide a migration tool that can handle that, Adobe can kiss my behind goodbye. No because I want to leave Adobe, but because I want to leave WINDOWS.

Before it comes up, fragmentation in the Linux community is not an issue. Pick a popular version, say, Ubuntu, and stick with it. The Adobe community who wants off Windows and OSX will migrate to it. To be clear, it's not important what we in the Linux community are CURRENTLY running. I happen to have machines running Mint because I like the interface. But if Adobe CC was supported on Debian or Fedora, I'd switch without a second thought. Moreover, in the Linux community, the names may be different, but there's more commonality between Linux flavors than there is between Windows and OSX. I strongly suspect Adobe would find that a native port to Debian would also work on forks of Debian.

Were I starting today, I'd be using PhotoGIMP and Darktable. Not because I think they're superior, but because they run on Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

North America OS market shares are as follows (as of May 2024):

Windows 30.52%

iOS (Apple) 28.23%

Android 22.45%

Mac OS 12.11 %

Chrome OS 3.41%

Linux 1.77%

Worldwide Linux is only 1.44%

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share

Apple could still drop 50% and be 5X the size of Linux for user base.

Last known press release in 2023 stated that there were over 30 million subscribers for Adobe Creative Cloud. Niche doesn't really apply here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, im the person who only uses Windows because of Adobe and nothing more. Why Adobe cant do a research to target these people? "Whould you use Linux if there was Adobe softwares support?"  This would open a new perspective above this market shares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanting to dump Windows is where I'm coming from too. Windows 11 is very
unpopular apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but the Adobe future is port all softwares to mobile/browser, then it will be supported by all the systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I look at it from a business/ROI standpoint. Adobe unfortunately isn't a charity - they have to answer to shareholders.

The cost of developing and supporting an OS with a maximum adoption of less than 2% (and that would be if everyone on Linux bought Creative Cloud) is a non-starter.

There isn't enough customer base to even start the discussion, even with passionate users like yourselves. The reality speaks for itself. If Linux suddenly had greater than (guessing) 5-7% of market share, then perhaps Adobe and other companies would take notice for developing an untapped income stream.

Votes

Translate

Translate