• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 684 Replies 684
683 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course we need it native, How do I will use my Wacom? Your comment is cleverless and . . . just leave it in ignorant and cleverless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course we need it native, How do I will use my Wacom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget Wine. Wacom Driver it can be usable if it's Native. I need it for 3D, concept and ilustration. A Wine instalation is not enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Wacom compatibility layer would be provided by Linux (which has full support for Wacom, I'm using my Intuos Pro M right now) for the Wine application, so I don't see the problem 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the response by mail but it doesn't appear here, so I will repond to it anyways. I didn't mean to provide support trough Wine, I mean that Linux has full native support for Wacom tablets, and you don't need to have it in Wine, since Linux will take care of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the point. Adding my comment is. Running Photoshop via Wine is useless for Ilustrators or concept artist. Even worse for 3D Artists. Wacom have support on linux, and thank to the native express keys configuration with gnome 3. Understand guys. Autodesk, and many other giants are passing to Linux as well, What's wrong with you Adobe?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW - there are 2 threads for this: one here, and one on the defunct feature request forum on the forums.adobe.com site. And there are still less than a hundred votes. Exaggerating the demand is not helping your case (and you might want to look up the definition of the word "literally").

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'be been a long time PS and AI user and the only reason I haven't fully switch to linux is because of these two products. Adobe should take the initiative like Valve and push the industry toward linux and away from Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hacks will continue till we see a port!

based on the number of customers disclosed during the last operation,  I think there is more than enough budget to do it.

you have till midnight yesterday to comply!  8)

-g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some day you and some day Photoshop will die. Will there be a port before Photoshop death time will tell. If not you'll never see a port.  If your young you may out live Photoshop.  Live long my friend.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can you say about photoshop for windows RT? It had zero market share and nothing was changed. MS rolled you some money and you gave photoshop. Are you waiting for some petrodollars from linux now?

PS sorry for my english

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a twist on the question:

Does Photoshop CC for PC work under WINE on a Mac?

Given that under the Creative Cloud EULA Adobe allows use on both Mac and PC platforms, it would be useful to if I could suggest to my potential customers with Macs that they can run my PC-only plug-ins under the PC version of Photoshop under WINE.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Afternoon Adobe, my name is Peter and I am games developer. Valve push Steam on Linux year ago. Since then we have to use Windows or OS X to develop games for Linux even if we prefer Linux to do that. We need tools like Photoshop and othes. Please consider my request. If any other company make tools for us (like photoshop) before you did, you will be hard to break into Linux market. I aware that i dont speak english very well, but i hope you understand me

Best regards and have a nice day,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me no speek english verry well,

me needs Photoshop and Illustrator on Linux (Ubuntu).

Seriously though, I'm a Web developer for over 10 yers and Adobe products are the only things keeping me on Windowz.

I hope you guys have a great contract with Micro$$oft for guys like me.

Really need PS with License on Linux, I'm willing to pay good money for them. I'm aware I can install them with WINE or even with a VM, but I need them native on Linux.

I'm sure 80-90% of the code can be easily used on Linux, you people just need to open your minds and make some small adjustments to the code.

AND, considering that you've already started to loose peoples confidence in you guys, ever since we got our accounts hacked, I think that now more than ever you should reconsider this.

Thanks (if you release a Linux version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh, they can barely keep it current on the two major operating systems (see, for example, discussions on high ppi displays, or generation of thumbnails, or GPU problems).

My suggestion:  Get a Mac if Unix really lights your fire.  Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, your solution is perfect if you take money out of the equation.

Paying for Adobe products, even though they are expensive (for me atleast), it's something that I'm willing to do if I can get them on Linux.

If I have to buy a MAC too, that's gonna be way out of my buget.

And even if I can afford a MAC in the future, learning a new OS is something that I don't curently have time for.

-Andrei

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also the same for the corporate world, which is mostly:

corporate_machine = windows || ubuntu;

I do not have a choice to get a Mac. Nor do the  500+ other users in my company.

And fontend developer usually means: photoshop/illustator + javascript + html + dealing with a repository. I'm not giving up 90% of my tools which work MUCH better in a Mac/Linux enviornment, just to run Photoshop.

End result? I'm learning GIMP. It's not nearly as good, but at least I can do simple stuff like cut up images for layout, though it's still a PITA to actually make layouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Also, nobody has retired from the Photoshop engineering team (and we keep adding new college hires as well).

Sounds like the Mafia Chris, or perhaps a kinder analogy might be 'Once a Marine, always a Marine'.  I am also not sure if the Mafia take on new college hires.

Speaking in terms of a Linux/Ubuntu version of Photoshop, I was struck by the huge numbers involved in last year's account hacking incident.  In fact they upped the numbers and it was well into the millions of customers involved.  The possible client base for a Linux version must be a tiny fraction of one percent of those millions, but with (and I am obviously guessing here) the same amount of work creating that Linux version.  Where would the business sense be with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.  The possible client base for a Linux version must be a tiny fraction of one percent of those millions, but with (and I am obviously guessing here) the same amount of work creating that Linux version.  Where would the business sense be with that?

Treavor,

I'm not sure where you are comming up with "a fraction of 1%",  but i'm fairly confident it would be higher than this.   7-10% would likely be a reasonable number in market share within the first year or so,  and I'd expect that number to climb when people realize its an option,  and time permits them to convert at work (sometimes takes months to get approval for environment changes).   I don't think there is any product out on earth which is available to linux/mac/win where anyone of them have "a fraction of 1%" market share.  this isn't 1980.

based on this,  lets assume the actual market share is less than I had guessed it to be,  lets say 3%,   or better yet lets get closer to what you belive the number would be and call it 1%.  (keep in mind this number will only grow over time).  lets do some math Treavor...

1% x 1000000 = 10000 

10,000 x 600 dollars is 6 million dollars.   how does 6 million not work for a business?  I'd guess the effort to port the product is already 90% there or done already,  but even if it were not,  the cost would be less than 2 million.  

When I worked at Alias/Autodesk we had companies like GM and Ford request some of our products be ported to some  platform we didn't offer the product on,  like HPUX or Solaris.   We would ding them for a million dollars to do so,  then charge them support and product costs on top of that.  it was seen as a great revenue stream.   2 developers were assigned to the account to do bug fixes,  but they were not that busy with this after awhile.

If Alias/Autodesk can port Studio to ONE customer and still be profitable,  I'm sure Adobe can do the same.  lets not kid ourselves,  the effort is not huge as far as ports go.    This is not a ground up, starting at zero effort.  They can pass a few flags to the compiler and spit out a version for linux in a week or less I bet.  I've worked at major software companies for years and can say with a certain amount of confidence this is not far from the truth at all.

Adobe just doesn't want to do it right now,  i'm sure part of that is financial,  but i don't belive that is the only reason nor the largest reason.    That all said,  i'm not an economics person and will not pretend to understand it as well as i may have indicated I do here.  I may be very off base,  its just a guess at it.    Developers don't get paid huge wages and this is a project which would not require senior developers to handle.  This is a project for interns which would be supervised/checked by a lead. 

also Ubuntu is linux,  i'm sure you get that but it intrest's me why people say Ubuntu/linux instead of just linux...  

take care,

-g

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of Nov 2013, Linux is roughly 1.5% of the market, Macs are 7.5% and Windows is 91%:

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/12/01/windows-8-falls-6-66-share-windows-8-1-hits-2-64-combined-duo-barely-grows-9-3/

Macs have a large proportion of customers who do media development so it makes sense for Adobe to have products for Macs; however, what proportion of Linux users would use PS? Even if it is much higher than the proportion of Windows users there are still a lot less people.

Back in 2011, 6% of people use The Gimp but Adobe had the top three spots for a combined total of 65% of the post production market at least in this questionnaire, and people have been moving away from PS and toward Lightroom:

http://digital-photography-school.com/the-most-popular-post-production-software-poll-results

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of PS-CC subscriptions between Mac and PC but a graph for those wasn’t noticed in my Google results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ssprengel wrote:

As of Nov 2013, Linux is roughly 1.5% of the market, Macs are 7.5% and Windows is 91%

First of all, I wouldn't trust that statistic.

And sencond of all, Linux is "1,5%" of the market because we don't have Photoshop on Linux.

I'm currently on Windows because I need Photoshop, I also need subline text and filezilla (both work on Linux).

For Office I use LibreOffice, that works great on Windows and Linux and it's free.

Just give it another 10 years and the Open Source comunity will finally have something better than Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ssprengel:  part of the challenge is providing tools to linux.  if they existed the numbers would change i suspect.  Why would you use an OS that doesn't have the tools you require?   Which may be why the numbers are where they are.     I can only speak for the industries I've worked within but i can tell you there would be no problem for most to move off of mac/windows if everything we needed was available there.   Artists are paid to do work using tools provided to them,  which OS they are on is much less of an issue.  As an example,  the shop I'm in now is 85% linux,  10% windows (administrative staff/execs) and 5% mac (art department).  it would be much more economical and less administrative overhead to not have to support a 3rd platform.   There is also something to be said about the ability to choose which OS you run on a purchased PC,  linux/windows, hardware standardization,  volume purchase incentives and similar...

@bv02peu "Just give it 10 years"   hopefully it doesn't take that long,  we been waiting 10 already.       "open source community will have something better",  this is likely exactly when Adobe will chose to port and crush this effort.  I think it takes a company with a lot of balls or ambition to attempt to steal this segment away from Adobe.   and that is likely a sad reality.

-g

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those market percentages are people who use that OS, not people who want to use Photoshop or are interested in Graphic Design or Photography and have that OS.  And those Linux percentages have been between .5 and 2% over the past decade from what I saw when I used Google to do an Image search for (Windows vs Linux vs OSX "market share").

http://cdn2.tnwcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2013/12/os_market_november_2013.png

Suppose the number of people who want Linux Photoshop is 10% that of Mac Photoshop or Windows Photoshop, would you be willing to subsidize the development effort for 10x less customers by paying 10x as much for the software ($3000/upgrade/18-months like it used to be or a $200/month subscription)--a return-on-investment model, or are you asking that each of us who use Windows or a Mac pay 50% more to subsidize a development effort for those who pay nothing for their operating system--a redistribution model?  Or what is your economic model where Linux development makes sense for Adobe? 

Adobe isn't keeping the open-source community from developing a competing products--The Gimp is an example.  There are smart people everywhere.

Google is an open-source company, to some extent, and has vast resources to spend on developing free products.  Why haven't they competed with Adobe and produced a Photoshop competitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bv02peu wrote:

First of all, I wouldn't trust that statistic.

And sencond of all, Linux is "1,5%" of the market because we don't have Photoshop on Linux.

I'm currently on Windows because I need Photoshop, I also need subline text and filezilla (both work on Linux).

For Office I use LibreOffice, that works great on Windows and Linux and it's free.

Just give it another 10 years and the Open Source comunity will finally have something better than Photoshop.

Who cares if the statistic is off by a large number the number will still be small.  I would think many of the linux machines are more servers then end user machines.  GIMP is an open source Image Processor somewhat like Photoshop and has been around for a long time. In an other ten years GIMP will have been around for ten more years and so will Photoshop. Will GIMP be better then Photoshop in 2024 time will tell. Will Adobe fix the bugs in Photoshop by 2024 time will tell. Photoshop is just one application in a long list of applications the don't support Unix. You can not point to Photoshop as the cause of Linux low stats.  Though Photoshop does run in Apple's OSX Unix Shell. Port OSX Linux.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that's bothering me here is that there's an underlying current in the dicussion that "Windows is bad".

Windows is not bad.

I don't agree with some of the directions that Microsoft is taking, but Windows can be a dynamite system to run development tools on.  My business is based on it.  It's not a system you can abuse or run like a dummy without knowledge - but don't kid yourself, there are people with knowledge.

Based on my take on the problems here on this board, I'd say Photoshop runs better on Windows than it does on OSX lately.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate