• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 722 Replies 722
721 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true? I run my every day to day uses on linux with a scondary partition of windows for applications such as windows and many games that require directx. Nothing i said was a lie so please instead of trying to make me out to be something I am not worry about the topic at hand.

I prefer linux because it provides a fast and more stable interface then windows, I use linux because I am tired of all the secondary software installs I am forced to do by windows not to mention the resources it uses.

I run an i7 Processor with 8 gigs of ram and still a 64bit version sucks up many resources compared to linux.

For me and many other people I know linux is a strong point in computing not for "hacking" as you say but a seamless computing experience.

My only point as I stated was directed at people that keep saying windows has a larger client base so thats why its not needed, think about all the users that are on a linux platform like me and have to boot to different partitions or use a VM to install a software that is quite costly but worth the money.

If adobe chooses to not release a linux version thats fine but someone atleast needs to develope a windows emulated tool that makes adobe software seamless to install.

And just to point out; there is an ubuntu edition designed for tablets that I have installed on my tablet instead of android.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also use your phrase Not true

You prefer Linux  while I agreed the Unix is lean and mean and more  customizable the Windows I would not state that it is more stable then windows.  If fact Unix including the Linux strain has great compatibility problems your hard pressed to find compatible hardware and nearly impossible to get third party device drivers.  Its hard to put together a Linux system you just can't go and buy and system and computer devices,  You need to do a lot of research to put a system together. Linux strain started in the mid nineties how many time has its working changed since them its not all that stable. How many Linux desktops are the sane.  

Windows does have a lot of overhead  requires more resources and cost.  Still most hardware will work with windows and applications like Office and Adobe Suite and other major professional software is available for windows.  This is not the case for Unix.   Unix and Unix Application are free and open

source. Why is everyone not running Unix are all none Unix user stupid or out or their minds. 

Both Windows and Unix are good and both have their good and bad points.

Without a doubt there are those that have installed Unix on tablets. Unix is easy to port what I wrote there are no manufacturer marketing an Unix tablet. You converted and Android tablet to your prefered OS.  Windows user can buy a Windows Tablet and know the it will work..

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am surprised, that I can read such comment in 2014 year written by man, who live definitely not in 3-rd party country. Your view of GNU/Linux is inspired by cheap furphy, created in 198x years by proprietary companies. You should ask independent experts/teachers "what is Unix", "what is GNU/Linux", "what is 'free and open source' software" "what status of hardware support and 3-rd party devices have linux", "what technologies and laws prevent user from installing free boot loader and OS". Your knowledge is hopelessly outdated even for proprietary furphies and fairy tales.

Sorry for my english.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English is my native language and I suck at it.   Unix is great and I would think that every technology company uses it somewhere in their business. And they staff their business with knowledgeable professional computer personal.  Some may even run their payroll these days on Unix.  I believe there are more Unix servers then Windows servers.  None of this changes the fact that the mass market is windows.  Unix have been around longer then windows. I do not believe in fairy tales their fiction and dreams.  Linux has it Linux Sucks group and they are trying to rectify that. Will they do it....?

Linux is as hard to run as Windows but requires you to be more computer literate to deal with problems you may need to learn more then it worth to you.  Software venders don't want to give away what cost them so much to develope and maintain.  Dell could increase it bottom line easily if there was a demand for machines with no operating system or Unix. Dell does not pay Bill for Windows for no reason.   They pay because there is a market and a profit to be made.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the heck is a "furphy" or "furphies"?  Is this some Linux Guru term from down under? 

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131109102040/official-furby/images/b/b4/Furby-yellow-14cm-375Wx375H.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of your customers use Windows because Photoshop is only on that platform. If Photoshop existed in Linux, many of those customers migrate to this new platform.

What that Linux clients are unwilling to pay is a real stupid. About Linux there is a community that supports free software, but you forget that Linux is gaining desktop users every day.

It is sad as Windows is imposed as a monopoly in the sale of PCs, this will change someday, and you will see how Linux has a big future over other OSs.

Sorry for my english.

Greetings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure that Adobe uses Linux on their servers, right? For variety, Adobe could support and develop Linux Photoshop, sure to be well received.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows is mandatory tax on virtually all computers sold, without giving the customer a choice. 

Microsoft is a monopoly with your SO, you see that it is SO good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaurer,

You've never heard of Mac OS X and Apple computer?

When it comes to Adobe Photoshop and Creative Cloud, sales are roughly 50/50, Mac/Windows, with a slight advantage to the Mac before the subscription model.

Photoshop began as a Mac-only application. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

What the heck is a "furphy" or "furphies"?…

I was just about to ask that question myself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

Noel Carboni wrote:

What the heck is a "furphy" or "furphies"?…

I was just about to ask that question myself. 

Well, for what it's worth, according to Wikipedia:

"A furphy, also commonly spelled furfie[citation needed], is Australian slang for a rumour, or an erroneous or improbable story. The word is derived from water carts designed and made by a company established by John Furphy: J. Furphy & Sons of Shepparton, Victoria. The steel and cast iron tanks were first made in the 1880s and were used on farms and by stock agents.[1] Many Furphy water carts were used to take water to Australian Army personnel during World War I in Australia, Europe and the Middle East.[1] The carts, with "J. Furphy & Sons" written on their tanks, became popular as gathering places where soldiers could exchange gossip, rumours and fanciful tales—much like today's water cooler discussion.

Another suggested explanation is that the rumbling of an approaching water cart sounded like the firing of artillery, thus causing a false alarm. It is also used to refer to a foolish mistake, although the etymology of that is uncertain.

It is possible that the word was also influenced by John Furphy's equally prominent brother, the popular 19th-century Australian author, Joseph Furphy (1843–1913). However, Joseph was generally published under thepseudonym "Tom Collins".

Scuttlebutt has a similar etymology, a scuttlebutt originally being a cask of drinking water on a ship."

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two,

The price of Apple computers is not available to everyone. For example, Apple does not interest me, I think they have exorbitant prices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack wrote:

... Unix is great and I would think that every technology company uses it somewhere in their business. And they staff their business with knowledgeable professional computer personal.  Some may even run their payroll these days on Unix.  I believe there are more Unix servers then Windows servers.  None of this changes the fact that the mass market is windows.  Unix have been around longer then windows. I do not believe in fairy tales their fiction and dreams.  Linux has it Linux Sucks group and they are trying to rectify that. Will they do it....?

Linux is as hard to run as Windows but requires you to be more computer literate to deal with problems you may need to learn more then it worth to you.  Software venders don't want to give away what cost them so much to develope and maintain.  Dell could increase it bottom line easily if there was a demand for machines with no operating system or Unix. Dell does not pay Bill for Windows for no reason.   They pay because there is a market and a profit to be made.

Allow me to be a little annoying, and specify what you probably know, but:
Linux and OS X are not UNIX systems, and do not use UNIX kernel. They're both UNIX-like.
While there's probably still a significant amount of UNIX servers, the Linux kernel is dominating the server market.
In regards to compatibility, the Linux-kernel constantly has hardware support added, to the kernel. Hardware may not have the same capabilities on Linux, as they have through utilities in Windows, but I've yet to find hardware that doesn't have basic functions on Linux.
3rd party drivers are troublesome, for the most parts, but at least on the graphics side of things, there are very functional drivers on Linux. Open source drivers are picking up speed, but you can easily install proprietary drivers through the "additional drivers" program, if you're so inclined. Roccat and Razer are providing Linux drivers. In Linux kernel 3.5, touch input support was improved.

Linux is quite easy to run, once it's set up. Many installers won't tell you what partitions are needed, what they're needed for, and recommended sizes. If memory serves, some has gained automatic partition setup though. Once Linux is set up, updating is done through a single updatemanager, and e.g. .DEB executables are no harder to install on a Debian distro or derivative, than a .exe is on Windows (except that you need to type root pass). Installing and maintaining software obtained through the software centres, is a breeze, as their repositories are added.

Granted, if you have to add repositories through CLI, or you mess up your system, then Linux is scary for users that isn't comfy with that. However, in all other cases I'd say that Linux currently is easier for any new user.

On the stability matter: no Kernel is as stable as Linux. X-server tends to crash, some times the sound starts crackling, but that's rarely kernel issues. I've never had as many problems with Linux, as I have had with Windows.
Finally, Linux is faster to install and update (fresh Kubuntu 14.04 install and total update: <35 minutes, reboots: 2. Windows 7 install from latest image, plus updates, while scouring internet for drivers: 6 hours, reboots: 10+), with changes made to version 3.14, you can now upgrade the kernel without rebooting your PC. The fact that Linux distros generally are fast to install, It's a matter of setting up your computer, so you can easily reinstall without loosing important files, which is pretty easy. On Windows, using 2 hours on trying to save your system is well spent, as the install, and update, and finding and installing drivers, takes so long. In Linux, I'm not really bothered, I mostly just reinstall, if I don't immediately know what's wrong, because it doesn't need a babysitter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ggxdg wrote:

On the stability matter: no Kernel is as stable as Linux. X-server tends to crash, some times the sound starts crackling, but that's rarely kernel issues. I've never had as many problems with Linux, as I have had with Windows.

If you want stability and X-server tends to crash do you really want Photoshop that also tends to crash on top of X.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ggxdg wrote:

On the stability matter: no Kernel is as stable as Linux.

ggxdg, respectfully, you are overgeneralizing just a bit...

On my Windows workstation the sound never crackles and no part it "tends to crash".  Frankly, I don't have any problems at all - it runs without trouble for as long as it takes between updates or installs that require a reboot - usually weeks.  Photoshop doesn't "tend to crash" for me either.  Does that make Windows a better OS than Linux or Unix?  Of course not, it says more about my skills and knowledge.  Trying to say "this system is better than that" in a general fashion without adding "for me" or "for this application" is a bit like saying "green is better than blue".  It's just nonsense.

ggxdg wrote:

Linux and OS X are not UNIX systems, and do not use UNIX kernel. They're both UNIX-like.

You may want to re-examine that thought.  OSX is more Unix than you think.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack wrote:

If you want stability and X-server tends to crash do you really want Photoshop that also tends to crash on top of X.

"Tends to" was a horrible choice of words. The work that's been done to prepare X-server for Wayland, has resulted in a very stable X-server, with less overhead (afaik). Personally, I've had no issues with X for a couple of years, but before that, it crashed nearly every time I made changes to the appearence of my system.However, I believe that it's still among the weakest links in overall stability, even though I've had no problems with it for a long while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 10, 2014 May 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those quoting statistics about computer usages - yes, Microsoft (and Mac) control most of the market. And yes, linux usage overall is less than 5%, but - and here's the catch - this isn't the same kind of user.

While most users use Windows, how many of those are a regular Joe? How many are active developers and/or designers?

Market share shows us usage statistics, but its meaningless if almost all Linux users are potential buyers, and almost all Windows users are, well, not. That incredible 90+ that Microsoft has are mostly non-productive users, and do not represent potential buyers.

Lastly, the real case here is that most designers today opt for Mac. If Photoshop shipped for Linux (and actually, porting Ubuntu only is probably enough), with the price tag that accompanies most macs, it would provide a cheaper option for designers. And that can cause a trend.

In other words - the usage stats don't actually represent the actual market here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it your take is developers are stupid developing for Mac and Windows not for where the money is Linux.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaurer wrote:

…Apple does not interest me, I think they have exorbitant prices.

Well, that statement is of no interest to me, Kaurer.  Equally uninteresting would be if I stated that Windows does not interest me.  So what?

Apple desktop computers are not exorbitantly priced compared to a fully equipped, loaded, state of the art Windows box. They're merely more expensive, but not exorbitantly so.

I've been using Macs on a steady basis for close to 30 years and not once have I regretted buying a single one of them.  I've bought a few PC machines during that same period, starting with an MS-DOS Toshiba laptop, and worked on a variety of Windows desktops while working for Uncle Sam. I've hated every singly experienced I've had with PCs.

So I'll gladly pay a premium for a Mac in order to avoid Windows boxes with their butt-ugly UI.

The point is that no one should care a bit about my expressing my dislike for PCs, just as nobody gives a darn about your criticism and disdain for Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

Windows boxes with their butt-ugly UI.

Tough to argue with that.  Out of the box Windows 8 is akin to the medical diagnostic equipment in the film Idiocracy.

3601246826_65c25a3f52.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Micheal! I had no idea that Corel Aftershot Pro existed for Linux! I just tested the trial version and bought it right away... it works fantanstic on xubuntu 14.04!

As an IT Consultant, I've had so many complaints from many of my SMB customers about having a good viable commercial image cataloging & RAW format editing application for the layman on linux desktops, and now I have something to show them!

Cheers & Thanks Again!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2014 Jun 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news about Photoshop for linux?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack wrote:

So it your take is developers are stupid developing for Mac and Windows not for where the money is Linux.

What? no.

There's nothing stupid about developing for Mac and Windows, those are the leading OS in use today. I'm just saying that looking for usage statistics for linux as an answer to why that platform doesn't receive a native version of photoshop is wrong, because they only represent the total usage demographic, which designers and developers are only a small fraction of.

I'm saying that linux has a higher developers ratio per user than other OS because of its complicated nature, so perhaps developing a native version for it would prove profitable. It's something that should be researched of course, but not dismissed completely (as it is currently).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think Adobe can develop a business case that shows a Linix version would be good for their business. Developing and supporting a Linux version would be a huge investment for them a good business case would need to show that it would be profitable.  I'm sure Adobe would like to make bigger profits help them see the light. Adobe might have look or may not have looked they do not publish information like that or that they reject linux.  I'm sure they look for ways to make profits that part of business.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last available figures from Adobe and from MS for the Adobe Creative Suites show that sales usually run abut 50-50 Mac vs windows, with Mac sales outpacing Windows 60% to 40% from time to time.

The Mac shows that its popularity in this field has absolutely no relation to its installed based, simply because users prefers its ease of use.

Now you want to believe that a Linux version, admittedly "more complicated" in your own words, will "prove profitable".  That's insane wishful thinking by a Linux head, and it bares a wholly "weltfremd" world outlook.

Screen shot 2014-06-11 at 4.05.11 PM.png

Nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate