• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Want to change Layer Comps inside a Smart Objects

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Web Designer and I would like to combine Smart Objects and Layer Comps in my daily workflow more effectively. I would like to select which Layer Comp inside a Smart Object I want to display on the Root Document where it is placed and also store that again in a Layer Comp of the Root Document.

This could allow for example to store the Menu of a Website in one Smart Object but call different active states of this Menu from the Main PSD.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
31 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for what it's worth, an alternate and more convenient workflow for what you describe is to rely on artboards rather than layercomps in the master psd.
page components (header, footer, etc...) as smart object are very useful, but you have to lay out pages states with artboards (thus copying the smart object) if you want to solve the current smart object limitation

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also what I have found to be the easiest workflow at the moment. 
Artboards containing smartobject that may contain layer comps for different states.  
Other than that, I am looking forward to seeing what Adobe XD can bring to the table. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this approach, but there are a couple problems with it in my experience. One is simple but annoying; it's difficult to navigate documents with many artboards. I know it's a small thing but it slows you down. The bigger issue I run into is performance. At my job it isn't unheard of to be doing anywhere from 7 to 20+ pages of an application or site in 2-3 screen sizes. Photoshop handles the large documents well when not all layers are on at once, but as artboards stack up it gets slower and slower. Artboards are also still a bit buggy, although they are consistently improving, which is a good sign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the numbers of artboards make it difficult to navigate you can try using ctrl click on the artboard in the layer panel to navigate.
as for the performance issues, I suspect, you may be an osx user.
I'm sorry to say that the windows version performs just waaay better in that regard in my experience
also for the most part in my workflow all artboards in a psd share the same smartobjects (often linked) I believe displaying 10 states (via smartobject layercomps) of 10 different smart objects should have a far lesser impact on performance than displaying 100 different text object for exemple)
my intuition is that smartobject as being black boxes should perform better than other (in place editable) element 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1  The feature is  pretty  useless till we could save smart objects  comps within parent file layer comps and switch them instantly .    Now I have to do 10 copies of a smart object to represent it's different states.It turns layer stack into an utter mess

Another problem:  re-saving and updating  hi res 16/32  bit smart objects takes forever .   I love how Affinity Photo updates master file instantly once you do something in embedded doc .   Would like to see same in Photoshop.   As an option maybe.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate