Please add HDR display support

3 Votes
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to make HDR paintings that can be displayed on HDR TVs and Monitors but photoshop seems to only display SDR. There's no difference in the lumanence from the display of the color White +0 and the color White +1.

For me HDR is one of the most important display innovations since HD and making content based around it even images would be useful. Since many image viewers support HDR color now days.

I'm sure there would also be benefits for things like games which HDR textures are very useful and being able to better visually read value differences beyond +0 would be useful.

I know premiere supports display HDR, so I also imagine it would be useful for making sprite/image effects for video, or animation.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
6 Comments
Engaged ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True AVIF sample with PQ encode is here, has colors outside P3-D65, mastered on laser with full BT.2020 coverage:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop seems to only display SDR.

By @sacb0y

Does it help if you enable the Precise Color Management for HDR Displays option in Preferences? They added it several months ago. It’s under the Technology Previews category which means they don’t consider it finished, but if you find any problems you could report them and help make it work right.

Photoshop-Precise-Color-Management-for-HDR-Display.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Far as i can tell this might only be a feature on OSX 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the HDR support is currently MacOS only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didn’t realize this was Mac only at this time, thanks Greg for confirming (Hey, I just watched your excellent video on star trails!). I’ll upvote this request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, @Conrad C 

Agreed, I'd love to see broad support of HDR. With video/games leading the way, there's a lot of latent capability out there. Computer monitors are lagging for many, but the latest Apple XDR displays are unreal. Browser support will hopefully pick up quickly. @ZBalling's HDR AVIF image in this thread is a good example - won't currently render on Safari (AVIF support coming this fall to MacOS), looks nearly black on the current FireFox, but looks great on Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate