• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop Elements 22 doesn't work correctly with Mac OS Monterey (new OS released 2 days ago)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe Photoshop Elements 22 doesn't work correctly with Mac OS Monterey (new OS released 2 days ago).

Other members in the same case ?

Thank you for your answers. Jean.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Just to update people on here, in conjuction with 12.1 Update from Apple on my Mac, there was an update from Adobe too.  My PSE 2022 now appears to be working fine on my Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Hello,

There is an update available for Elements 2022, which fixes the hang on launch issue.

To Update Elements, Request you to please Launch and Close Elements Organizer and leave your system idle, depending on your interent connection speed - the update will be applied automatically and should fix the launch issue for PSE.

In case if the automatic update fails, Please install the update for E2022 manually from Elements Organizer.

Please refer to release notes for more details around E2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 350 Replies 350
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. But what kind of Business do they run? 
It is a shame. Just my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It;s not like Monterey was a surprise to Adobe or anyone else. Deveopers, especially major ones such as Adobe, have had access to developmental and beta code for enough time to work out bugs. M1 Macs have been in cirulation for a year, surely Adobe has some. I'd agree with you entire analysis had they not labeled the product 2022--that's just bogus, they aren't ready for 2021 yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It;s not like Monterey was a surprise to Adobe or anyone else. Deveopers, especially major ones such as Adobe, have had access to developmental and beta code for enough time to work out bugs. M1 Macs have been in cirulation for a year, surely Adobe has some. I'd agree with you entire analysis had they not labeled the product 2022--that's just bogus, they aren't ready for 2021 yet.

By @MASewall

That's why the '2022' product has been released for required OSs: not Monterey, not yet Windows 11 officially.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/system-requirements.html

By the way, same logic:

- Most Adobe softwares support Monterey, not Elements. So it it's an Elements problem.

- You can use PSE2022 with Big Sur, not Monterey, So it's a Monterey problem.

So, something has changed both in PSE2022 (for Macs) and in Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already moved on to Affinity. Smaller companies are more responsive to their customers. As "Too big to fail" is a red flag in the finance sector,  so "Too big to keep up" should be the red flag for the software business. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm tempted to move to Affinity too. It's a shame that Adobe are unprepared for the new MacOS Monterey and M1 and its subsequent evolutions M1 Pro and Max. Paying customers should be treated right. Photoshop Elements 2022 runs one time. If you quit and try to re-launch, you'll end up force quitting the app and restart to test your luck and have it work. 

I do not have this problem with Premiere Elements 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most recent MacOS for my MacBook Pro is Monterey. The older version of Elements that I had (17) did not get along with Rosetta 2.

I communicated with Adobe support yesterday. The "we're working on it" refrain is rather stale. They should pull the product until it works on 2022 Macs. They have no way to alert users to the release of an update. They said there will be a "pop-up" in PSE2022 when the update is released, but that's not viable when the app without a fix is unuseable.

I decided I didn't want to hassle about a refund after 30 days; so, I've processed a full refund. I'll keep an eye on this forum for evidence that the Monterey AND M1 issues have been resolved. At that point, I may or may not try the product again.

I gave up on Acrobat Pro when Apple required 64-bit code and Adobe didn't offer an upgrade at a reasonable discount. Better alternatives are availabel for lower prices. Customer retention doesn't appear to be on Adobe's radar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subscription model makes the assumption that you are working in an area with good internet bandwidth. This is often not the case. For example, Adobe products are useless to people working in the field rather than an office.

Also, the subscription is by contract, which means that, in cases like this, customers would be paying for a service that the company fails to provide. 

As you indicate, changes and upgrades are a fact of life. I purchased the product from the company in good faith that they would continue to support it.

Fortunately, Adobe is not the only vendor. I will look for a competing product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read through the various pages in this forum, you will see that the only thing you can do is restart your computer. Usually, after restarting the computer, you should be able to use PE once.  To use it again, restart the computer. Adobe recently told me that they are working on a fix. They did not know when that will become available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see I am not only one who ran into issues after the macOS update to Monterey. For the time being I downgraded from PSE 2021 --> 2019. The only slightly annoying issue that's bothering me now, is the fact that I first need to convert the raw files from my Nikon Z5 to DNG files first before I can process them in PSE 2019. One advantage: I got the 'camera defaults' back which was removed when I went from PSE 2019 to 2021.

As I have gotten the impression that Adobe is not very serious about PSE (why would they remove useful features?), I am also looking into Affinity Photo and I must say I am already quite impressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have migrated to Affinity Photo and have been satisfied with the results. Although PSE has more one step edits, the frustration incurred with PSE's tendency to release new not fully debugged versions negates any advantage with the the new editing features. What good are these changes when you can't even load the application. Goodbye Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got Photoshop Elements 2021 on an M1 Mac running Monterey.

If I run it from the icon it crashes.

If I run the app directly from a Rosetta Terminal window it usually works, but that's a bit of a pain.

The app path is:
/Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In spite of claiming to be 2022, it's NOT. It hasn't been updated for M1 and it's buggy on Intel Macs. My experience is that those bugs corrupt Rosetta 2 and whether you quit the app cleanly or not the MacOS will spontaneiouly restart without warning at some random moment in the near future.

I've stopped using Elements 2022 until an update happens. The MacOS continues to crash from time-to-time. Hence, I suspect that other remaining Intel apps or preference panes also are capable of corrupting Rosetta 2. I've had a conversation with Apple's trech support and put it to them that no single app should be able to bring down the entire OS. Figuring out how to restore Rosetta without restarting may not be possible, but at least their should be a "save your work" warning before an involuntarty restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't select that pano keys icon that accompanies my posts. I've changed my "profile picture" in the Account manager. The correct icon show up on the login screen, but not anywhere else. Is there a fix for that, or is it just another example of Adobe hit-or-miss programming?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - opens sometimes and crashes. I talked to Adobe twice - working on update, no projected date, although I bought Elements 22 33 days ago, no refund because 30 days so just wait.

So I swithched to Luminar AI. Meets my needs and exceeds. Much easier than Adobe Lightroom.

Will I wait for update? I did not delete Elements so yes but at some point I do not care.

I told Adobe I was disappointed. The response was just wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you paid with a credit card, you have up to a year to dispute the charge. It does seem to me that if they cannot get the product to work for the purpose it was sold for that you can cancel the credit card charge on the grounds that the product was faulty upon delivery and the vendor has failed to make good on it.

I do expectd Adobe to issue a fix before the year is up. Whether it will be universal code or not remains to be seen. My position is that if it's 2022, it has to be univrsal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem by buying Affinity Photo from the Apple App Store. I am happy with it. Today I changed the default application to open PSD-files to Affinity. It is a beautiful program and much more capable than the Elements version of Photoshop. It's also one of the "recommended by Apple" apps in the Mac Appstore. And even less expensive.

I first used Photoshop in 1992 and always thought it is a "must have" for any computer, like Word or Excel. Well, it isn't.

As I wrote earlier, I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 on April 30th 2021, so the software stopped running in less than 6 months. I expected this to be fixed soon, now another month has passed. For me, this feels like fraud. 

I have also switched from Premiere Elements to Final Cut Pro, which is way better, faster and easier to use. So goodbye Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the same.

I did use the Creative cloud with Photoshop and Lightroom. I have found replacement for Lightroom some time ago and wanted to get non-subscription based Photoshop.

Elements would be enough for my needs and they have nice Black friday discound. So I bought Elements today just to find out it doesn't work and then to find out that this issue is now open for 1 month. Requested refund. 

I will try Affinity, they should have Black Friday discount starting next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monterey is not listed on the OS requirements--- did you check out the OS requirements before your puchase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? It's PhotoShop Elements 2022! Apple is selling MacBook Pros that require Monterey or later, AND Monterey is the current MacOS. Maybe if they'd labeled it 2021 it would not be so misleading, but Abobe has an obligation to support Mnterey AND M1 code (Apple Silicon) on any Mac product they market as 2022, because that's where trhe state-of-the-art is even before 2022 begins. So far, Elements 2022 supports neither Monterey nor Apple Silicon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? It's PhotoShop Elements 2022! Apple is selling MacBook Pros that require Monterey or later, AND Monterey is the current MacOS. Maybe if they'd labeled it 2021 it would not be so misleading, but Abobe has an obligation to support Mnterey AND M1 code (Apple Silicon) on any Mac product they market as 2022, because that's where trhe state-of-the-art is even before 2022 begins. So far, Elements 2022 supports neither Monterey nor Apple Silicon.

By @MASewall

When a product is sold as "2022" for users meeting the system requirements, they don't sell it to users which don't meet them.They exclude them 'de facto' from the offer. Those users have the obligation to read the requirements. A link to the system requirements is present on any  purchase form; they are not hidden 'small prints'. it's your obligation to check them and act accordingly. That means that if you want to try the new PSE version on a non supported OS version:

- to avoid any refund problem if that is not satifactory, you download the trial version, valid for 30 days.

- you know that anyway, you can ask for a refund without any good or bad reason for 30 days.

- you wait a little to get some feedback on forums to see if it's time to upgrade both PSE and your OS version, especially if photo editing is more than a side hobby for you. Do you realize that those who have waited to upgrade from Big Sur to PSE2022 have no big issues? That's why the name PSE2022 has nothing misleading, especially if you expect it for an OS version issued just after the PSE 2022 disclosure.

If you believe you have to immediately buy a new Mac after each new OS (every year?) then, you may be out of luck with Elements. That's something to consider before believing that Adobe has supposed 'obligations' to you. After all Adobe does not make a lot of money with PSE. Especially with the minority of hobby Mac users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer my question.... did you read the OS requirements before your purchase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop Elements 2020 on a 2019 iMac with Monterey OS.

It seems to work fine EXCEPT I cannot create a new file. The error message is,

"Could not create a new document because Photoshop Elements cannot open High Dynamic Range (HDR) files. HDR support is available in Adobe Photoshop CS 2 and later."

I can edit existing pictures but not  create a new file. This has only happened since upgrade to Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same also applies to Premiere Elements 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who haven't seen it yet, here is the latest announcement from Adobe about Monterey and Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for this good news 👍👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines