• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Snap to grid / guides not working

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to PSE 9 and trying to create a collage with photos aligned vertically and/or horizontally. I have tried enabling both the Snap to Grid and Snap to Guides options but neither one seems to be working "as advertised". I have tried snapping frames, rectangles and rectangular masks to the grid or guides all to no avail. The grid and guides are visible when I move the objects. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Window >Rulers

Then click on the vertical or horizontal ruler and drag out a specific guide and drop it where you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the rulers visible as well as the guides and grid. I have also tried having only the grid or only the guides displayed The problem is that none of my objects want to "stick" to these lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you firstly enable Grid, for example, on your open image.

You can then click View >>Snap to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this. The problem is that although I have the grid visible AND Snap to Grid enabled, the objects STILL do not snap to the grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try snapping a selection.

For example a rectangular selection.

I assume you have tried this with selection and the marching ants? If not give it a go.

Otherwise the editor prefs often get corrupted. You may need to rebuild the editor preferences to resolve any conflicts.

Hold down the Ctrl+Shift+Alt keys and simultaneously click on Edit on the welcome screen. Release the three keys and look behind the welcome screen.

You should see a pop up box with the words: Delete Adobe Photoshop Elements Settings File?

Click on Yes

Close down Elements and re-open it in the normal way - then wait whilst it rebuilds the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestions.

I did try resetting the Settings file. This did not solve the problem.

I experimented a bit more with the rectangular marquis tool and successfully snapped it to the grid and guides. However, neither frames nor objects created with the rectangle tool will snap. I already have photos within frames (each in its own layer), and I can't snap these objects to where I would like them to be located. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system?

That would happen if you were holding down the Ctrl or Cmd key while

moving objects, but since your probably not doing that, maybe either

the ctrl/cmd key is stuck or if your on a mac the version of snow leopard

might cause that.

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I fixed it by turning OFF snap to layers and keeping everything else on. Basically, it just looked like it wasn't snapping, but in reality is was snapping to so many different places that were about 1px to 2px in distance of each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just hopping in to say I came on to find a solution to the same problem and yours worked for me at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes PS can be confused if you don't set your grid preferences correctly.

For example I wonted 1 pixel grid, with thicker grid line every 10 pix.

By mistake I set:

"Grid Every: 1 pix"

"Subdivisions 10"

And as result, snap to grid didn't work. After changing it to:

"Grid Every: 10 pix"

"Subdivisions 10"

Everything worked just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Artesana93,

This bothered me too. Try what I did. Go to VIEW, SNAP TO and then DOCUMENT BOUNDS. It worked for me. hope it does for you too.

Pete C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS THE WAY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Little Late to the party here but make sure you have the Caps Lock set to OFF, simple oversight but i do it all the time then lose a lot of time trying to troubleshoot lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines