• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open Photo Editor (Elements 2022)

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded from Elements 8 because it had inexplicably stopped working. Now when I go to run the Photo Editor it asks me to sign in.

I'm using software I have installed on my PC to edit photos on my PC, so why do I have to sign in to or for?

Also, why has it bloated from 332MB to nearly 3GB (including some cloud stuff.)

(I was unable to post this using Firefox also.)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving thread to the Photoshop Elements forum from Photoshop ecosystem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried looking for the Elements section but this forum is so badly designed it proved impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the main sections are available here https://community.adobe.com/

You can sort by alphabetical order to make it easier to find the forum you need

2022-02-11 15_18_35-Adobe Support Community — Mozilla Firefox.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wiggers2uk, I assume that the sign-in is part of the software validation process. Do you object to signing in? And, I am posting this using Firefox with no problems.

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what this "sign in" is for. I've downloaded the software, received a serial number, what is there to sign in to?

Yes, I can reply in Firefox, but it refused to let me create a new post. Nothing happened when I clicked Post, pointer stayed as an arrow, not a hand. Had to use a Chrome-based browser.

Also, I've now had a tsunami of events on my firewall, just having logged back in to my computer. I don't want anything cloudy nor creative. How do I remove this "Creative Cloud" from my computer? I just want a photo editor! This is the most intrusive and ridiculous software I've installed in a long time.

adobeintrusion.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what this "sign in" is for. I've downloaded the software, received a serial number, what is there to sign in to?

By @wiggers2uk

In older Elements versions, this was called 'activating' / 'deactivating'.

Since this was not understood by many users, Adobe changed the words. Now it's called 'sign in' and 'sign out'.

What is it all about?

Contrary to what many users think, they have paid, not to 'own' a program, but to have a right to use the program in the condition of the terms of use (a license). For Elements, it's a perpetual, single payment license. That means that it will work so long as you are using the same OS version with similar hardware specs.

The software provider must have some protection scheme to avoid the software to be copied or pirated. So, when you install your software, you register your own Elements copy together with the identification of your computer hardware. This information is stored on Adobe's side on a server. It's a link between your license (your right) and your hardware (PC identification). Adobe gives you a license to install and register (activate or sign in) two distinct computers, such as a desktop and a laptop. The license is individual for you only and you can't use both computers at the same time. If you want to install Elements in another computer to replace your present one, you 'sign out' = 'deactivate' the link on the old computer and you 'sign in' = 'activate' the new one by entering the license code.

This has nothing to do with being connected to Internet. You only have to be connected for installation and activation first. Then, at intervals, Adobe may ask you to be connected to check if your activation is valid. You may work for weeks independently without any connection. Now, you understand that if you 'sign out' or 'deactivate' you can't use Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, so you have to enter the serial number and authenticate. I don't get the palava over "Sign in" or why there are two dozen new events through my firewall. I've now blocked all Adobe comms. Privacy? We've heard of it.

I have now authenticated, but on first use the thing that strikes me is how ridiculously large the menus and text is. Looks like it was designed for a 5yr old to use. How do I reduce the font size? Below is Elements vs File Explorer:adobefonts.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines