• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I tell if my PSE 2020 software is legitimate

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to find out if I have a legal or illegal copy of PSE 2020.   

I purchased PSE 2020 off of eBay, for a good price (to good to be true) and I'm wondering if it is really a Licensed product.

I've been told by the seller (after the sale) that I needed to follow his install instructions and not use my current Adobe account or the software will not work.

So I created another Gmail account and used it to create a New Adobe account to install PSE 2020.  

Well long story short, the software wants a SN License Key that I don't have the seller does not have either.

I'm just being told I didn't follow his post sale install instructions.

While digging into the regestry I find that this new software created 18.0 folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER / software / adobe / Photoshop Elements /  18.0

While all my other version of PSE has the folder name as the version of the software, EXP v 15 has a 15.0 folder, v 9 has a 9.0 folder.

Does anyone know if the 18.0 directory is correct for PSE 2020?

Is there a contact phone number for Adobe Support?

Thanks in advance,

David

TOPICS
Download and install , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

I figured it was a scam when the listing was removed by ebay just shortly after I purchased the software.

live and learn, $40% off the normal cost should have been a red flag.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible for a seller who has registered the product to transfer the license to somebody else.  But in order to do so, he must have the license number to give to the buyer. Here are the instructions that need to be followed.  Clearly, it is the seller who has not followed the instructions. 

And yes, Elements 2020 is actually version 18, so the directory number is correct.

The phone number for Adobe is region dependent.  Do a Google search for Adobe Support Telephone Number and you should get a result.  But, since your eBay seller has not followed the rules, I don't think Adobe support will be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg.

I just figured out there was not a 16 & 17 version of PSE so the version # is 18 for 2020.

I'm going to touch base with Adobe about the License problem because I feel it's not a factory product and want to fine out for sure so I can get a case open with eBay.  

This guy has aready told me he doesn't have a key so that license transfer is not an option.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If he doesn't have a serial number, it is clearly a scam.  The price should have been a tip-off.  If the product has been registered, he can find his serial number through his Adobe account.  The link I gave you should be sufficient for eBay dispute resolution. 

(Elements 2018 was version 16; and Elements 2019 was version 17.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it was a scam when the listing was removed by ebay just shortly after I purchased the software.

live and learn, $40% off the normal cost should have been a red flag.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this from Ebay user cram_4995?  I just purchaced the same product, and ran into the same situation. They are arguing with me that it's legit, and I just need to follow their instructions.  The disk it's on is clearly a burned disk, which was the first redflag with me, and the fact that there's no serial number.  Did you report to Ebay?  I'm trying to figure out what's the best route to go now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jonmagee, did you look at my earlier reply and the link that I provided there? 

While it would not be impossible to transfer a legitimate license using a burned backup disk, it is most certainly impossible to transfer the license without a legitimate registered serial number.  So, regardless of who the seller is, you have been scammed if he/she is not willing to proceed with the documentation for an authorized transfer of the license as set forth in the Adobe link.  You should go through eBay's dispute resolution if you can't get satisfaction from the seller.

Is the listing that you purchased from still live?  If so, can you reply with a link so that Adobe can be notified and take the steps it needs to shut the seller down.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[link removed by mod]

Above is a link to one of his active listings of the product.  What's interesting with this case, he while I opened up a return with the seller, he is continuing to argue that this is a legit item, that the serial number is embedded into the disk/setup files, and that as long as you install with a brand new Adobe user account that you create, you are fine.  He also called it an OEM version at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.

As noted in the link I provided:

Except in Germany, Adobe does not permit transfers for OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions of software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines