PSE 2020 Editor Still Won't Open HEVC/HEIF Images from iPhone

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows 10 with latest updates and HEVC/HEIF extensions installed, PSE 2020 give the following error message:

"Could not complete your request because Photoshop Elements cannot recognize the file extension"

The same image opens fine in the Photos app which comes with Windows 10.

It also will not open in Windows Photo Viewer with an error message saying it has incorrect permissions.

Any thought on how to get PSE 2020 to open these?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 11, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We apologize for the issue you are facing while trying to use HEIC/HEIF files with Photoshop Elements 2020.

Since you have already installed the extension pack, try to clear the media cache for Photoshop Elements 2020 and then relaunch the application before trying to import the images. 

Please check the link mentioned below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/premiere-elements/using/hevc-decoding-on-windows.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work. Tried your suggested solution but the editor still won't open the files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you tell me where you downloaded the extension pack for the HEIF files from? Was it from the link mentioned in the article above or some other source?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Directly from the MS Store at the links above.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually connect my iPhone with a USB lead and transfer the files to my computer.

However it was first necessary to change the phone settings.

Go to: Settings >> Photos >> Transfer to Mac or PC

Choose “Keep Originals”

This was previously set to automatic which results in conversion to jpeg. But after changing this setting files remained as HEIC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your thoughts but this doesn't address my issue. I have no problem getting the image file onto the computer. Once there, PSE won't open a HEIC file at all.  See Greg S's reply below.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AAARRRGGGGHHH, I have confirmed your findings with both an HE video and HEIC image.  A standardized HEVC file cannot be opened in either Elements Premiere or the Organizer on my machine. The same file opens with all other software, including VLC and Windows Photo player.  I am also seeing the same result for a HEIC in the Photoshop Editor I am escalating this problem to the powers-that-be. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem for me - see image below. HEIC files work on Organizer and Editor - see image below. To enlarge, click image. Then right-click and choose open in new tab. Then go to the tab.

What are your system specs?

HEIC.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue occurs on two different systems, both running the most recent, fully updated version of Windows 10, including the required extensions as mentioned above. One system is an almost new Dell desktop with an Nvidia graphics card, the other is a Surface Laptop with integrated graphics. Same message occurs on both machines.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What device is being used and what are the recording settings? My phone is set to High Efficiency recording and produces HEIC stills and 4k video in the MOV (QuickTime) format. Both can be imported into Organizer on Windows 10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the following:

1. Close the Elements programs.
  2. Delete all the files present inside the folder: %appdata%\adobe\common\Media Cache Files\
  3. Uninstall all the HEVC extensions present on your machine (if multiple HEVC extensions are installed). To uninstall the HEVC Extensions, go to Settings->Apps and search for "HEVC" and click on uninstall.
  4. Reinstall the HEVC extension from the link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions/9nmzlz57r3t7?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
  5. Relaunch the application.

Snap10_2019.10.15_01h04m52s_002_.png

The problem may have been that I had two Microsoft HEVC Video Extensions installed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019 1