• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would installing Photoshop Elements 15, enable Bridge CC 2017's camera raw plugin?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been wondering if it were possible to use Bridge CC's camera raw, by merely having PSE 15 installed; or does the Bridge plug-in require a CC version of the full Photoshop to activate?

Thank you,

-Fotis

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Thank you both MichelBParis​ and @R_Kelly! Seems that R_Kelly strictly speaking is right, however  @MichelBParis is right too . Forgive me also if I upvote my own answer, but I think it will be useful for others who have the same question.

In short:

One can utilize the Camera Raw bundled with PS Elements,

as if it were near-native to Bridge (read below for the caveats)

allow me to elaborate:

• The Adobe Camera Raw included with PSE seems to be a separate instance from the CC one (probably resides in a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Bridge CC requires a photoshop cc version installed in order to use the camera raw plugin.

Since photoshop elements comes with the organizer instead of bridge, bridge doesn't see photoshop elements as a licensed application compatible with bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R_Kelly wrote:

Yes, Bridge CC requires a photoshop cc version installed in order to use the camera raw plugin.

Since photoshop elements comes with the organizer instead of bridge, bridge doesn't see photoshop elements as a licensed application compatible with bridge.

Yes, it does.

That's why Bridge does only recognize the limited ACR version of Elements if Photoshop CC is not available.

Bridge: free for all? | Photoshop Elements & More

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have bridge cc installed with just photoshop elements 15 and try to use Open with Camera Raw in bridge cc, one gets a message that says

Camera Raw editing is not enabled.

Camera Raw editing required that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature.

One can open a camera raw file into photoshop elements from bridge cc, but then just the elements version of camera raw is displayed, just the same as using File>Open or File>Open in Camera Raw from within the photoshop elements editor or opening a camera raw file from within the photoshop elements organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R_Kelly,

As I said in my previous link, I have already CC installed, even if I don't use it normally.

What Andrei Doubrovsky states is true: if I 'Open with' PSE15, I get the limited camera raw dialog.

PeteB had a trial version of CC, that may explain he could open the Bridge ACR in the trial period... only.

I don't want to uninstall CC for trying, but Bridge has the choice to:

- open with: If you choose PSE15 it opens RAW files in the PSE15 ACR module for me, and I suspect it would also without Photoshop CC

- open in camera raw: there it only opens the Bridge ACR module for raws OR jpegs.

If you can test Bridge with only PSE15 installed, can you confirm this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both MichelBParis​ and @R_Kelly! Seems that R_Kelly strictly speaking is right, however  @MichelBParis is right too . Forgive me also if I upvote my own answer, but I think it will be useful for others who have the same question.

In short:

One can utilize the Camera Raw bundled with PS Elements,

as if it were near-native to Bridge (read below for the caveats)

allow me to elaborate:

• The Adobe Camera Raw included with PSE seems to be a separate instance from the CC one (probably resides in a different folder too)
  • From within the PSE Editor, opening a RAW file will bring you the ACR dialog (of course simplified, without the spot removal/masks and split toning that come with the full CC version)
  • From withing Bridge, pressing on Open in Camera Raw... shows the message "Camera Raw editing is not enabled" that @R_Kelly mentioned
  • However, from within Bridge if you press on Open With -> Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 Editor, it will in fact launch ACR (PSE's version, after first launching PSE), at which point you have the opportunity to work on the RAW just as before, and either press Done (or Cancel) and return to Bridge, or press Open Image and have the image open further in PSE.

On the bright side,

• Bridge can without any issue send multiple files to PSE's ACR (which helps a bit with batch editing)
  • Bridge seems to be reading the new/updated XMP files just fine as if it were "its own"
    • the previews generated are accurate
    • there is also the icon indicating that this particular raw file, has applied adjustments on it
    • the thumbnail refresh instantly as if they were made with its own version of ACR (the full CC ACR)
  • inside ACR you can re-edit edit adjustments that were previously created by the full CC ACR version and
    • interestingly enough the adjustments that are not supported here (like spots removed, perspective correction etc) will remain, albeit no longer editable.
    • However if you click "reset camera raw defaults", these adjustments will be discarded as well!

Major caveats,

• you can no longer use the Develop Settings -> Camera Raw Defaults/Previous Conversion/Clear Settings from within Bridge, so you have to do it from within ACR which means that for batch editing, there are a few extra steps involved.
  • you loose access to good tools such as the spot removal tool, split toning, perspective correction, dehaze and of course masks (as seen here)

Other minor caveats that I've discovered are

• you may end up keeping a copy of PSE always open since it needs to have been launched before ACR launches (unlike the CC version that can launch directly from Bridge)
    • another implication of that is that while in ACR when you click Done or Cancel, the ACR window will close, but not the PSE Editor window
  • The Open in Camera Raw...context menu (just like the Develop Settings mentioned above) inside Bridge doesn't do anything useful anymore - instead you have to click on Open With -> Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 Editor which is a bit more cumbersome thanks to the one extra click, and having to scan for it in a bigger list (if you have multiple photo-editing applications installed).

All in all, it's quite usable even though not directly supported.

Background (how I tested it):

on my system I have Bridge CC 2017 and Photoshop CC 2017, but the Photoshop trial has already expired. Since then, whenever I would choose from within Bridge the Open in Camera Raw... option, I'd get the message that @R_Kelly has mentioned.

- After downloading, installing and launching at least once ACR from within PSE 15's trial version, I tested Bridge again but again no luck.

The PSE trial that I downloaded had ACR 9.7 (or was it 9.6?). From within the program I was given the option to download a newer version of PSE and ACR 9.8, which happens to be the same version that Bridge CC 2017 contains; so I thought I could try that too. This hinted that CC and PSE had their own separate copy of ACR that needs separate updating. I installed the update, but no luck with getting Bridge to integrate with that version either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very thorough observations and thanks for posting.

Actually photoshop elements version 4 thru 8 on mac os x came with bridge, but bridge was unfortunately ditched in favor of the organizer starting with version 9.

The mac version of photoshop elements 8 and the included bridge cs4 version was the only pse bridge combination that one could actually use the full acr version. Other versions of pse and bridge just used the elements version of acr.

Windows versions never had bridge, but the organizer starting with photoshop elements 3.

Photoshop elements versions 1 and 2 on both mac and windows had the File Browser, the precursor to adobe bridge.

Photoshop elements 3 included both the File Browser and organizer on windows.

Neither pse 1 or 2 included acr, though it was offered as an extra cost plugin for around $90 for photoshop elements 2.

Starting with photoshop elements 3, acr was included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you @R_Kelly, very interesting things that I knew nothing about!

I wish one could buy ACR as a stand-alone; the Elements Organizer (that I didn't know existed before you pointed it out) seems rather slow compared to bridge on my mac, and is definitely ugly and cumbersome - so does Photoshop Elements. If I could have ACR without this odd couple - I'd more than happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the bright side,

• Bridge can without any issue send multiple files to PSE's ACR (which helps a bit with batch editing)
  • Bridge seems to be reading the new/updated XMP files just fine as if it were "its own"
    • the previews generated are accurate
    • there is also the icon indicating that this particular raw file, has applied adjustments on it
    • the thumbnail refresh instantly as if they were made with its own version of ACR (the full CC ACR)
  • inside ACR you can re-edit edit adjustments that were previously created by the full CC ACR version and
    • interestingly enough the adjustments that are not supported here (like spots removed, perspective correction etc) will remain, albeit no longer editable.
    • However if you click "reset camera raw defaults", these adjustments will be discarded as well!

The same is true when you open in PSE15 ACR.

- From the editor you can send multiple files to PSE's ACR and the two others remarks are true as well.

One difference is the way jpegs are handled versus raws.

- Neither Bridge PSE15 not the organizer can open jpegs as ACR...

- except if you have already edited a jpeg in ACR in PSE15, it will open in ACR the next time from the organizer, not from Bridge.

Major caveats,

• you can no longer use the Develop Settings -> Camera Raw Defaults/Previous Conversion/Clear Settings from within Bridge, so you have to do it from within ACR which means that for batch editing, there are a few extra steps involved.

That's a non issue for me. Once I have opened a batch of files in ACR, I can work by selecting the files in the filmstrip and apply as many edits as I want.

you loose access to good tools such as the spot removal tool,split toning, perspective correction, dehaze and of course masks (as seen here)

Yes, that's the difference to make the Elements ACR version more limited... but as a matter of fact, nearly all those features are available in the editor and most of the time, the pixel editing in the editor with masks and layers is much more powerful and flexible than with a parametric editor.

What you seem to miss is that the ACR version of Elements allows opening multiple files at the same time and applying batch edits very easily, which Elements organizer or editor alone can't do; process multiple files or export from the organizer are very limited in features. You can mostly work like in Lightroom in a 100% parametric way without any file duplication; that is true for raws and to a large extent for jpegs (provided you open them from the editor and even for the organizer if you have already edited them in ACR...) If you are in my case where 90% of my edits don't require opening the editor, then the ACR module is the prime tool in the trio organizer/editor/ACR.

The debate about Bridge versus Lightroom/Organizer is still there; it's a good thing that users have a workable choice. I much prefer the speed and power of the organizer with a big library but I considered for a moment using Bridge for managing pdf files (their support has been removed from Organizer 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you @MichelBParis! Nice to hear a vote in favor of the Organizer; I'll give it one more try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines