Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Create/Open new File - Photoshop CC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I just purchased Creative Cloud recently, went to go open up Photoshop today and it won't allow me to create new files or open existing PSDs:

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoWKJbIf3BI

I can, however, operate in Acrobat and Illustrator just fine.

I'd first googled around a bit to see if anyone else had the problem, noticed there had been a few threads. My troubleshooting steps thusfar.

1. secpol.msc > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode (disabled)

2. Took ownership of Adobe directories at C:\Program Files\Adobe, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe

3. secpol.msc > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode (enabled)

4. Trashed Preferences on startup.

Pertinent bits of info:

GPU: EVGA GTX 560ti (latest drivers)
Photoshop CS6 via Creative Cloud.

Any help would be much appreciated! It's working fine on my laptop (Mac OS 10.8) but the desktop is a little sketchy with Photoshop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Try this: Edit > Preferences > General > check "Use Legacy "New Document" Interface"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dammit, first time running into this, sad to see it is still yet unresolved.

Windows 10, all drives up to date, Photoshop CC (14.2.1), and the open/load simply does not work. Everything else is functional, but trying to create an image or load one simple wields no result.

The program never switch to the "file open" mode, nor there is a the file on the open documents list. No errors, just no file open.

Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the whole thread and try the Ctrl + Break fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just going to throw this out there, for me, this was fixed by pressing control+pause key. I remember hearing something like this, but couldn't find it.
Anyway, just thought you might like to try it, if it works great, if it doesn't, good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur. Control + Pause/Break works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been using CS up until a few weeks ago, now on CC, and by eck this thing is practically malware.

I'm getting the same problem with CC refusing to open a psd file.

The file is only 100mb, and how mental is this: CC is using 1.7gb of ram, without the file open! Long gone are the days when people made optimised code eh?

Reading some of the replies, things like "I updated my printer drivers, and now it works" utterly terrifies me, I mean, how crap can photoshop's code architecture code be if THAT is an example of a fix!?!

(There's also another problem, where whenever I rmb-> open in photoshop CC on an image file, it loads CC, but doesn't load the image file.)

(Oh! Also! If I close CC, it doesn't end the process. It leaves it running, despite the app being closed. And if I try to open the app again it doesn't appear. At all. I have to have a taskkill batch file to kill of the photoshop process.)

FYI I'm a game developer so this is all on a ridiculously high spec machine, W10, latest firmware and drivers for all hardware, very savvy user, etc.

...CC is a steaming pile of crap. It really, really is. We're thinking of going back to the old CS licenses, that actually worked, mostly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using RDP manager (Remote Desktop Manager). a software a technician might be using to try and fix the problem with a remote connection, the CTRL+ALT+BREAK puts the remotely accessed PC into fullscreen and creates the problem. Pressing CTRL+BREAK  after, fixes the issue as it reactivates something and photoshop works fine thereafter.

The origin of the BREAK key is discussed here (Break key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and it seems to make sense. I hope this helps:

"On many modern PCs, Pause interrupts screen output by BIOS until another key is pressed. This is effective during boot in text mode and in a DOS box in Windows safe mode with 50 lines. On early keyboards without a Pausekey (before the introduction of 101/102-key keyboards) the Pause function was assigned to Ctrl+NumLock, and the Break function to Ctrl+ScrLock; these key-combinations still work with most programs, even on modern PCs with modern keyboards. Pressing the dedicated Pause key on 101/102-key keyboards sends the same scancodes as pressing Ctrl, then NumLock, then releasing them in the reverse order would do; additionally, an E1hexprefix is sent which enables 101/102-key aware software to discern the two situations, while older software usually just ignores the prefix. The Pause key is different from all other keys in that it sends no scancodes at all on release; therefore it is not possible for any software to determine whether this key is being held down.[1]

On modern keyboards, the Break key is usually labeled Pause with Break below, sometimes separated by a line, or Pause on the top of the keycap and Break on the front. In most Windows environments, the key combination⊞ Win+Pause brings up the system properties."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logitech Keyboard! This is the answer for me!

When i dont use that keyboard (Logitech K360), Photoshop is working normally.

So, check your keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. At first CTRL+BREAK did not work for me, but when I closed Photoshop, then re-opened, and tried it again, it worked. Thanks so much for sharing this tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there...

Just upgraded to 2017 version (on Wondows10), and now I can't open a new document

https://poda.tinytake.com/sf/MTE1NDEzNF80NTEwMzcx

I have tried almost (since I havn't found the solution yet) everything [huge-sad-face-smiley]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JeanJensen​, did you disable the Show Start Workspace When No Documents Are Open option on purpose? (Edit > Preferences > General). Or it just doesn't load on startup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PXC; Nope, that was not set and I didn't uncheck it...

Now, I opened PS and checked it and saved. Then hitted File > New, and boom(!) now it works

After closing PS and opening again, the checkmarks is gone and I'm back to scratch...

When I close PS, I get this message (my PS is in danish): "Can't write to documents new presettingsfile."

Udklip.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you please verify that you have write/read access to the UIPrefs.psp (located under C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 Settings\)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I jumped to the simple but annoying solution: Uninstall, reboot, install.

Works just perfect now

Thaks for your time and effort

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this got resolved for people.

I had the same issues on windows 10.  And I also couldn't open Adobe creative cloud.    Unless I restarted my PC.  What worked for me was killing all Adobe related processes.  Then I could open up creative cloud, and in turn PS CC 2017 and new/old documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OKAY. I think I've figured this issue out folks.

I run a pretty unique setup - triple monitors. I purchased an AMD FIrePro W2100 professional graphics card, it runs two of my monitors. My third monitor is run off of the integrated graphics Intel graphics (4600?) I was pulling my hair out, CC wouldn't let me open ANY files, or show me the normal start-up dialogue. Under preferences, I could see it could not detect ANY of my graphics adapters. Hmm, fishy. Which was odd, because Lightroom fired up without a hiccup (typically occupying that third monitor).

What I ended up doing was disabling my onboard Intel graphics, and VOILA! It works!

I'm going to go snooping in my BIOS as I'm fairly confident I have some graphics adapter priorities in there I can shuffle around. But I can indeed confirm this is either system level or BIOS level issue. I'm not very trusting of Intel to have any clue how to make decent graphic drivers, but anywho...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this issue all the time. Rebooting "fixes" it, but it is making me consider why I pay any money for software that fails to even run. It works for a few hours and then stops opening files, usually after the monitor went to sleep.

This needs to be fixed yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem now too. Happened after updating PS to the latest version, though of course it could also have been windows updates or something else and just coincidence that it stopped working after updating it.

Annoyingly Nvidia's downloads section is timing out at the moment so I can't try installing the latest drivers to fix it, and got some work I really need to get done in PS today. The clipboard fix didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried:

Updating graphics card drivers to latest version (from Nvidia's website)

Uninstalling and re-installing PS

Resetting preferences

Starting with no plugins

Eventually I contacted Adobe support via chat, and they connected remotely. One of the things they tried was updating the graphics card drivers via device manager, which did find newer drivers than the latest ones I'd installed direct from Nvidia. I guess Windows uses the QNF drivers rather than ODE, which is what I'd updated to.

That didn't fix the issue, but they did sort it eventually. I missed what they did to fix it, but when I asked them they said that they "used the legacy workspace". I'm not quite sure what that means (Workspace is currently set to 'Essentials'), but very happy they fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, try this:

- start Photoshop

- click to gray workspace area

- press Ctrl + Break   ( or Ctrl + Pause, depends on keyboard) .. few times

Done.

(Unfortunately you have to do this every time it happens.)

Technical background, in case someone from Adobe is reading this:

It looks like loading, initialization or splash-screen thread remains active after Photoshop startup and blocks loading and creation of new files. Ctrl+Break kills that thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: Edit > Preferences > General > check "Use Legacy "New Document" Interface"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me.  Thanks.

Seems like if there is screen capture data, it cant figure out what to do.

With the legacy interface, it just worked.

FINALLY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is like 2 years old, but bro... you just saved me such a huge headache.  THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! This worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, this topic get SOLVED when this problem persists until 2020?
What the hell? can anybody explain this?

see this treads from the future Adobe Employees.
2018: - 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-cc-2019-new-document-window-not-working/m-p/10277...

2019: - 
From Nov 2019: - 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/can-t-create-new-file-in-photoshop-cc-2020/td-p/10722699
From Dec 2019: - 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/unable-to-create-a-new-file-in-photoshop-2020-21-0-2/td-p/1...

AND THIS COMMENT FROM 2020!

Just how stupid and ignorance can you guys be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines