Highlighted

Displacement map affecting wrong part of image

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I've never had any issues with displacement maps, but all of a sudden when I displace text (which has been converted to a smart object), the displace filter affects the wrong part of the image. The text stays where it is, but the filter is off. I can move the text around and rotate it a bit to line the text up with where the displacement has occured, but this is not an optiomal approach. 

Please see attached image with layers panel. 

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!!! 

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Displacement map affecting wrong part of image

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I've never had any issues with displacement maps, but all of a sudden when I displace text (which has been converted to a smart object), the displace filter affects the wrong part of the image. The text stays where it is, but the filter is off. I can move the text around and rotate it a bit to line the text up with where the displacement has occured, but this is not an optiomal approach. 

Please see attached image with layers panel. 

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!!! 

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 10, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to have forgotten to post a link to your layered document and the displacement map psd. There not much we can say about you screen capture, You document just has two smart object layers. The layer name is text  may bet Photoshop default text place holder and this Smart Object layer name text  has a smart filter distort displace  there is a reveal all smart filter mask. The bottom smart object layer name is Base Layer. The content. may be an image.  Have no Idea what the content of the displacement Map PSD content may be. The way its effecting  the top smart object looks more like a liquify filter mesh.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack! 

Thanks for the reponse... sorry for not being more thorough. Here are the links to the original Image and Text File as well as the Displacement Map. These are google drive files - I'm new to the forums so not sure if this is atypical, but let me know if there's a better way to share files. 

To create the displacement map, I duplicated my original (smart object) image layer to create a second version with the same dimensions etc. I turned the duplicate image to B&W, increased the contrast with a levels adjustment layer, and converted to a smart object. Then, I saved the file as a displacement map. Next, I converted the original image of a building to smart object, and placed the text image in a layer above the building. I converted the text layer to a smart object, then applied the displacement filter using the file I saved earlier...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you wrote sounds about right as long as no resizing has been done and the increase is contrast is not to drastic.  The spikes distorted into the lettering may indicate   your changes were to drastic or the displacement dialog value set were bad.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack, 

Thanks for the suggestions... No resising, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

I tried recreting the displacement map a couple of times with lower contrast. I also tried playing with the displacement scales and settings... Still, my results are showing up in the wrong parts of the image 😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0