• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enter Key stopped working with Text Tool

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently the Enter key has stopped creating a new line in the Text Tool in Photoshop. More specifically with the Horizontal Text Tool. I've never had this issue before, and this problem only reared its head after my first attempt to use the text tool since the last time I updated when a software update was available (which was a few days back).

When I press Enter while inputing text, instead of a new line, it commits my changes. I've tried using Shift/Alt/Ctrl-Enter as well, and still no joy. I've even tried using my num-pad's Enter key, and still the same. I've even gone as far as trying to use Ctrl-M and Ctrl-J. Nothing seems to work.

I've searched online to see if anybody else has encountered this issue, but all the answers I receive date back to 2010, none of which provide any solutions. Last week (before updating) the issue did not exist.

Any help would be appreciated. This is driving me crazy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Actually, I found the problem. Go figure, right after asking for help I could find it. Turns out that the issue is that it's a matter of the "Auto" line-spacing of the text tool not working correctly. I found that the tool, even on Auto, was adding 20+ lines and thus below the textbox area I was editing. I made changes to the options, worked fine. But further testing found that they weren't sticky. If I switch to a defined setting, then it all works fine. Subsequently, switching back to Auto wor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the number pad Enter key is supposed to create a new line with the Type tool.  Only the main one.

I'd suggest just resetting the Type tool, but it would be interesting to track down exactly what the issue is rather resetting it away.  That's assuming that a reset would do the trick.  I've tried turning commit text with Escape on and off in Preferences, but it made no difference.  So I have not been able to duplicate the issue.  It looks like you are using Windows, as am I, but which version?

Just to make sure, is the Enter key definitely doing nothing, and not going back to the start of the same line?  I'm thinking about line spacing being set to zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at this thread as well

Photoshop CC 2018 - line spacing tool failoure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I found the problem. Go figure, right after asking for help I could find it. Turns out that the issue is that it's a matter of the "Auto" line-spacing of the text tool not working correctly. I found that the tool, even on Auto, was adding 20+ lines and thus below the textbox area I was editing. I made changes to the options, worked fine. But further testing found that they weren't sticky. If I switch to a defined setting, then it all works fine. Subsequently, switching back to Auto works fine. However, starting a new project, the Auto is jacked again, so now I need to repeat the process of switching to a defined static setting and then back to auto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I had this same issue and you solved it! I thought I was going insane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ralphj55124337 wrote:

I found that the tool, even on Auto, was adding 20+ lines and thus below the textbox area I was editing.

By default, Auto Leading is 120% of your Type Size. You can change the default amount in Paragraph panel menu > Justification > Auto Leading. If PS was adding an equivalent of 20 lines, then the first thing to check is the percentage assigned to Auto Leading.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can't manage. It's driving me crazy! Would you please explain it in steps. I am picking it up again after years so a lot of knowledge is gone. Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The issue you have should be the Leading setting (the input field with the thin blue highlight)

It it does not work, you can also go to the character panel hamburger menu, and select reset character.

Character panelCharacter panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! My leading had somehow set itself to 0.01 so the cursor was just returning to the beginning of the line of text and typing over the top. Setting leading to 'auto' resolved the world back to an even keel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My new computer does not have a number pad enter! For some reason photoshop recognizes my main enter as the number pad enter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem, and tech support reset my character tool as show above and it solved the problem for the tech that had remote control over my computer but it was still not working with my laptop keyboard. It works when I either use the onscreen keyboard or a usb keyboard but no luck with either of my enter keys. Im using an HP Elitebook that has a full keyboard with number pad. This solution isnt the best but it works for me at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used Photoshop mainly for making posters and slides. I have switched to Google slides for this issue ever since. It suits all my need. It saves everything on the cloud. It's a better engineered product and easier to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines