• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

jpg file size during "save as"

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have been working on a jpg file, and want to "save as" it.  You get the chance to choose your compression before saving.  In elements it shows the file size, so you can choose your compression level to meet file size requirements.  Photoshop CC does not have that functionality.  I find it frustrating.  Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Use the File Export as..., or Save for Web... also found under File>Export. Both of these options show you the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the File Export as..., or Save for Web... also found under File>Export. Both of these options show you the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for web also makes a much smaller file in general. It should always be used for final files for web use, because it strips out stuff only the designer needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Of course, you're the designer so you should keep the important stuff, and especially never repeatedly edit a JPEG as the quality drops each time. You should have your work as a PSD, and save as JPEG when you need a deliverable).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prblem with save for web, it cant be used with batch operations. Im trying Export As. Hope that does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Everyone.  It helps, but the solution is still not what I need (and Elements provides).  My photo club requires a horizontal dimension of exactly1920 pixels and a jpg file size of max 1500 kB.  If I resize the image to 1920 pixels horizontal axis, the file size comes down in size but often still above 1500 kB.  In Elements (in "save as") you can then choose a level of jpg compression, which will bring down the file size WITHOUT CHANGING THE IMAGE DIMENSIONS.  If I use export, then  a change in file size is accompanied by a change in the image dimensions, which I do not want.  Why couldn't Adobe just leave something which works well unchanged?  Even my old Photoshop CS2 works the same as Elements 12, allowing me to change file size without affecting image dimensions.  Until I find out how to do this I will have to do the final resizing in Elements (or CS2).  One then wonders whether it is really worth it to have Photoshop CC at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kobus,

Save for web does exactly what you are asking for. Here are some screen grabs to explain. See outlines in red.

saveforweb-100.png

This jpeg is sized to 1920px  width with a quality setting of 100. The resulting JPEG will be 2.8 megs.

saveforweb-50.png

This is the same image scaled to the same 1920px width a quality setting of 50. The image size show in the lower left is now down to 422K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Theresa J.  I got it at last, and it works!  Much appreciated.  Kobus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does have the functionality which you are seeking.  When you select "save as" you get this:

ps.jpg

The file size is there providing you tick the Preview box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not working properly, even setting it low as 3 or low. Its just 100kb smaller than high. That can be right, because in web sve as this difference would be HUGE. Saves as dialog with JPEG seems broken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, NRC13.  I feel incredibly stupid for having had all this functionality right under my nose and being unable to find them for myself.  Thanks again for all the advice, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey
when you create a new Document
in Advance options
color Profile :
choose Dont Color Manage

pixel aspect Ratio:
choose Square pixels

Arman.shamsi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arman, thank you for the post, but it does not seem to have any connection at all to the problem discussed in 201, which was completely solved. Do you have a question for us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With the Jpeg dialog open, press and hold the Alt or Option key (Mac). The Cancel button changes to Reset. See if clicking on that Reset works.

If that does not work, try a Preferences reset as shown in the screenshot.

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines