Mouse Pointer/Curser Lag over any open file in PhotoShop CC

Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem for almost 2 months now. It has persisted through updating my MacBook Pro from the old iOS to High Sierra, and it has persisted through updating my PhotoShop CC from 2017 to 2018.

The mouse cursor/pointer lags terribly when it goes over any open file workspace area in PhotoShop.

- It lags over the art itself, and over any open space between the art and the edge of the tab or window.
- There is no lag over the UI areas.

- The amount of lag is inconsistent. Sometimes it's just a little slow, other times it take a lot of shaking of the mouse/stylus to get to the edge of the image if the cursor is trapped inside it.

- It lags in any tool, but if it's a click tool (like selection) the lag stops immediately upon clicking to select.

- The lag is the same with a mouse or a stylus.

- The lag stops temporarily if I do -> Preferences -> Performance -> Advanced Settings -> change dropdown to "Basic" and then RESTART PhotoShop. But it will come back again after a short time.

Here's a YouTube video someone else posted about it: Photoshop CC 2017 Mouse lag problem - YouTube

This is really maddening, and it hasn't gotten better with any updates to PhotoShop or the iOS since it started. 

Please Help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mouse Pointer/Curser Lag over any open file in PhotoShop CC

Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem for almost 2 months now. It has persisted through updating my MacBook Pro from the old iOS to High Sierra, and it has persisted through updating my PhotoShop CC from 2017 to 2018.

The mouse cursor/pointer lags terribly when it goes over any open file workspace area in PhotoShop.

- It lags over the art itself, and over any open space between the art and the edge of the tab or window.
- There is no lag over the UI areas.

- The amount of lag is inconsistent. Sometimes it's just a little slow, other times it take a lot of shaking of the mouse/stylus to get to the edge of the image if the cursor is trapped inside it.

- It lags in any tool, but if it's a click tool (like selection) the lag stops immediately upon clicking to select.

- The lag is the same with a mouse or a stylus.

- The lag stops temporarily if I do -> Preferences -> Performance -> Advanced Settings -> change dropdown to "Basic" and then RESTART PhotoShop. But it will come back again after a short time.

Here's a YouTube video someone else posted about it: Photoshop CC 2017 Mouse lag problem - YouTube

This is really maddening, and it hasn't gotten better with any updates to PhotoShop or the iOS since it started. 

Please Help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 13, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the mouse wired or wireless? If wireless try using a wired mouse  see if it the works better.  There may be interference or a software issue with your wireless mouse.

iOS is Apple's mobile OS for iPhones, iPods and iPads Photoshop does not run on iOS.  Photoshop requires Microsoft Wondows ot Apple's Mac OS.

If you are using a tablet Pen is the Tablet wired or wireless?

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2017 0
Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still need to get a wire mouse to test this idea. But I have seen that turning off the MagicPrefs application that I use to make the settings for my Magic Mouse will resolve it for a few minutes. But strangely it comes back in a short time. I'm not sure what that says about the cause of the problem. 

I really don't like this mouse anyway. I will reply again when I get to test this with a wire mouse. I had hoped that an update would resolve it on its own, but I've updated a few times and it's still a problem.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2018 0
Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is happening to me in illustrator. The cursor also changes at every "pixel" as it moves between the mouse icon and the "v" tool icon, frantically flashing back and forth.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your are posting in a Photoshop forum here you in the wrong forum for illustrator.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2017 0
Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously useless feedback on that Mack!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2020 0
Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue resolved this week, but so many things changed that I can't say for sure what fixed it.

Constant kernal panics crashed my machine frequently the Friday before last after I applied an update to High Sierra. It was so bad I thought I'd have to replace the machine. I uninstalled everything I could think of and then ran CCleaner. I run that about once a month.

I uninstalled:
Dropbox (with syncing Finder integration)

Maya

Every Adobe software except PS and AI, and ones it wont allow me to uninstall

WhatsApp

Spotify

I turned off the auto-initiate at start up for  Creative Suite Updater and Wacom Desktop Center.

The following Monday the machine worked normally and it's been stable since then. The cursor lag hasn't reoccurred in that time.

My office mate (who did not experience cursor lag) had the same problem with kernal panics after the last High Sierra update. But hers also resolved itself mysteriously the next day.

I think that there is some kind of conflict with the proprietary security applications our corporation uses? I don't know. I can't imagine what actually fixed it. Anyway, it's working fine now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2018 0