Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help making a script for saving as jpg with interval

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
I'm an illustrator and I'm looking for make a timelapse of my work in Photoshop, I've been reading about a someone who made this with a script that saves a .jpg file of your proyect with an interval and different names each image, but I don't know how to make this, can anyone help me  or explain me how to make this script? With those JPG I could use it as frames in Premiere and make a timelapse video there.
Thanks a lot!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if reverse engineering is authorized on that script, but check out Increment & Save Photoshop Script

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That script is just a save script you run by pressing a key its running is not automated. 

There is a free Plug-in script you can download do the same thing by recording it in an action that you run with a shortcut.  Its a much improved Image Processor script.  Adobe Image Processor could do if it was a Plug-in script but it is not you have to use its dialog each time which is a pain..   The Problem is newer versions of Photoshop Action recorders no longer seem to be able to record  plug-in script Image Processor Pro correctly.   I have no problem for I have old versions of Photoshop installed.  I can record the needed Actions in then and save that actions set then load the actions into current Photoshop and they work correctly.  You just can not record the action in current Photoshop. Here is an Action Set there are four actions for incremental save.  One for jpg, one for, png, one for psd and the one for  the current document backing file type.  These Action require you to have downloaded and installed Image Processor Pro from the web  Image Processor Pro Actions for incremental saves 

image.png

The Scripts Dialog will not be displayed this is something like what I recorded into the  action step. However,  you will not see this it will look like a phantom step nothing at all is shown its blank. However, they work.

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, I've never heard about Image Processor is it a free plugin? I'll download it.
Also I have some doubts about the interval, is it possible to stablish it or do I have to make the action manually?
Finally, I work on Photoshop CS6, does it work on this version?
Thanks!!

jesusf17927761_0-1599172360133.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Plugin script works with CS6.  The thing about  an interval you would has toe have a timer going do each open Document the would need get control at the intervals  take over control of Photoshop switch to the document and save it. Something like that would be very disruptive to your work flow and may not be possible. You could try to attach it to some event you do in your workflow  on a regular basics.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much I'll try all this and if it works I'll post it here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get dedicated screen recording software like Camtasia.  Techsmith lets you try before you buy.

Screen Recorder and Video Editor

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A combination of a Bridge and Photoshop script will save auto timed incremental file versions.

As suggested by Nancy, screen recording will also show the interface. Some record video, some offer an image screenshot every N seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I've tried the screen recording option but I'm looking for the frame by frame method so the brige+PS sounds good to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Record the installed or browsed Photoshop script into an action, in the Bridge script I have named the set "Incremental" and the action "Save" to align with the Photoshop action.

Just in case the link to the previous post breaks at some future point:

/*
automate save as or export with sequential file names
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/automate-save-as-or-export-with-sequential-file-names/td-p/9003836

2020 - Original script modified to remove the original filename from the sequential output file
https://forums.adobe.com/message/4453915#4453915
*/

#target photoshop

main();

function main() {
    if (!documents.length) return;
    var Name = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
    try {
        var savePath = activeDocument.path;
    } catch (e) {
        alert("You must save this document first!");
    }
    var fileList = savePath.getFiles("*.jpg").sort().reverse();
    var Suffix = 0;
    if (fileList.length) {
        Suffix = Number(fileList[0].name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '').match(/\d+$/));
    }
    Suffix = zeroPad(Suffix + 1, 3);
    //var saveFile = File(savePath + "/" + Name + "_" + Suffix + ".jpg");
    var saveFile = File(savePath + "/" + Suffix + ".jpg");
    SaveJPEG(saveFile, 8); // JPEG compression level
}

function SaveJPEG(saveFile, jpegQuality) {
    jpgSaveOptions = new JPEGSaveOptions();
    jpgSaveOptions.embedColorProfile = true;
    jpgSaveOptions.formatOptions = FormatOptions.STANDARDBASELINE;
    jpgSaveOptions.matte = MatteType.NONE;
    jpgSaveOptions.quality = jpegQuality;
    activeDocument.saveAs(saveFile, jpgSaveOptions, true, Extension.LOWERCASE);
}

function zeroPad(n, s) {
    n = n.toString();
    while (n.length < s) n = '0' + n;
    return n;
}

/*
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/reminder-to-save/m-p/10466042?page=1
*/

#target bridge;
if (BridgeTalk.appName == "bridge") {
    var psRem = new MenuElement("command", "PS Auto Timer - Incremental Save", "at the end of Tools");
}
psRem.onSelect = function () {
    var mins = 60000 * 1; // 1 minute 
    psReminder = function () {
        var bt = new BridgeTalk();
        bt.target = "photoshop";
        // Run action set 'Incremental' & action 'Save' which calls a recorded photoshop script 'incremental-jpeg-saves'
        bt.body = "if(documents.length) app.doAction('Save', 'Incremental') alert('File auto-saved via running Bridge script')";
        bt.send(4)
    }
    id = app.scheduleTask("psReminder()", mins, true);
    var win = new Window("palette", "Photoshop Reminder");
    win.bu1 = win.add("button", undefined, "Stop Reminder");
    win.bu1.onClick = function () {
        win.close(0);
        app.cancelTask(id);
    }
    win.show();
};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can your script be made into an Photoshop Event handler for Open document and New document.  Many Photoshop users do not use Bridge they use Lightroom other use Windows File explore or Finder.  I use bridge occasionally.  I use Photoshop  all the time.  In that script how does the scheduled task ps reminder get set into  Photoshop document edit session. What happens it at the interval the user has switch focus to a browser or switch to editing an other open document that also has as reminder set.  I have never programed Bridge Talk can it attach an interrupt interval event into an document's edit session to do and action.  Can I in a Photoshop event handler Target Bridge and  have it set the interval event schedule for the new or opened document?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think all you asked is possible to do with BridgeTalk & scheduleTask & cancelTask methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines