• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019 won't open .jpg files

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated, I can't open 90% of my .jpg files with Photoshop, regardless of whether I drag the file in, open it through the menu, or try to open it with Photoshop from the folder. I receive a helpfully vague error message stating that there is a program error.

program error.PNG

I just got this computer two weeks ago and this is one of the only things I've put on there, so I figured the app was up to date, but I reinstalled anyway. I've restarted my computer multiple times. I've tried downloading the Camera Raw plug-in as suggested on other posts with no result. I've tried purging my cache and clearing my preferences. Most suggestions on the forums are either years old (circa 2013) or Mac specific (I'm running windows 10).

With any advice given, please be as descriptive as possible on how to do it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Hey guys, I found the solution to the problem! It's in the folder Curves in Camera Raw! I had saved some film curves in this folder. Unfortunately, this folder cannot handle more than 10 files ...
Now the folder is empty and Photoshop and Ramera Raw work reliably again!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open other file types?

Where do the jpegs come from - what application were they saved out from?

If only jpeg, it could be that you have set jpegs to open through Camera Raw (ACR), and some properties of these files are incompatible. You can disable jpeg support in ACR from Bridge or Photoshop (Camera Raw Preferences). The jpegs should then open directly into Photoshop:

ACRprefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the .jpgs are from an external source, this sometimes happens.

1. Open the file in some other drawing / paint program. Resave as a .tif. (I say .tif because jpg is a lossy format and resaving as a jpg will result in further image degradation).

2. Open in PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible the source changed the extension to .jpg without actually saving it as the proper file format?

Try changing a file with that error to extension ".tif" and see if it opens.

I've had the same situation and this was the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I found the solution to the problem! It's in the folder Curves in Camera Raw! I had saved some film curves in this folder. Unfortunately, this folder cannot handle more than 10 files ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you empty it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pinging @CoryShubert and @Mohit Goyal 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse​ Other file types seem to be unaffected. The jpegs have been downloaded from Google Chrome. I went in and changed these settings but no luck.

occulus.nigra​ I've done this before and will use it in a pinch, but I was hoping not to have to convert every file before editing. It's a personal project so it doesn't need to be top notch, but I need to edit a lot of pictures.

kstohlmeyer1​ nope, they're jpegs, they work fine everywhere else. Like I said, I CAN convert them to another file type and they work fine, but I'd rather not have to convert them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never been so frustrated with CS Photoshop. What the heck was wrong with last few versions!?!? I've been using PS for 10 years and it was pretty straightforward to do basic functions! Now I can't even OPEN AN IMAGE that I can clearly see saved in the program. Does Adobe only want professional photographers using the software?!?!  Seriously - I know feel like it's the first time I've used a damn computer!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no trouble opening image files in latest Photoshop on the latest version of Windows 10 build 1903.  My image files are on primary hard drive or a USB stick drive.

I am assuming your computer meets the current system requirements.

Try restarting your computer.

Failing that, Restore Preferences.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, 27.03.2021... 😫

Suddenly, Camera Raw stopped opening. Neither from Bridge nor from PS. Like you, I cannot open any jpeg files in PS. I have already uninstalled PS and reinstalled it - no success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be missing the CameraRaw plugin. You can go here to download the latest. This fixed both my AfterEffects and Photoshop.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines