• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017 Unusable slow

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my Photoshop to CC 2017 today and since the upgrade it has been very very slow. When I click on File menu the dropdown menu appears like after 3-4 seconds. When I delete layer it take about 10 second. Zoom in and out are terribly slow. I work on Photoshop everyday hope to get the problem resolve as soon as possible.

Is there a way to downgrade to earlier version?

My computer details:

Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel i7-5960X

RAM: 32 GB

Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

SSD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 403 Replies 403
Engaged ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So would you accept an increase in your subscription for better technical support?  How about upgrades going from yearly to every other year? Adam has offered to actually visit users in the California area, not many software companies would offer that for free.

Adobe is already making crazy money from the rental scheme. Upgrades every two years? - this model worked fine in the past, and while they are at it, they can give us back our purchased software option. Visit users in California? Apparently only if they live within Uber distance of Adobe HQ. Adam is only one tech out of thousands who work for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you seem really obsessed that a corporation is making money, what do you expect? The Russian's and the Chinese would love to have a software industry -outside of hacking of course-but they don't as their systems don't provide the incentives to make that happen. I'm old enough to have paid over a £1000 for Photoshop in the past and thought it was great value even at that price and so $10 a month seems like a bit of a giveaway now. The subscription model enables some people to use the software they would never have paid for, but there are alternatives. Take a look at Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. I can testify they are very good as I was involved in the beta testing and you can buy both for less than $100 on both Windows and Mac

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is against Adobe making money. We're against how they are (and not) spending it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri, will Affinity run at 1920 x 1080 screen ratio?  On their web page they list:

Display

• 1024 x 768 (at 100% scaling)
  • 1280 x 960 (at 125% scaling)
  • 1600 x 1024 (at 150% scaling)
  • 1920 x 1440 (at 200% scaling)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to confess scaling isn't something I tested as I was using just a standard 1920x1080 monitor, but it worked fine on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I installed 2017 version it lags every time I start the program, if I go fast to File > New it ignores my command until it stops lagging (3-5 seconds aprox.) and I have to repeat command, not just clicking New but also open the menu (menu closes without opening New file).

I'm almost 100% sure it have something to do with new emoji fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emoji fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add my dissatisfaction in here as well. Upgraded to PS 2017 on Win 10 and have the same problems, so have rolled back to 2015 until it's fixed.

I realise that pretty much every computer on the planet will have a different configuration, but Adobe must have come up against this kind of issue before and developed a process to find the cause and fix it?

I don't see any evidence of a process...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that I am running into the same issue with poor performance (if not complete lock ups).

I'm about to install the 2015 versions of Photoshop as well as Premier Pro, but one point that might be interesting. This was a fresh PC build. All new components, new hard drives clean install of Windows 10 with minimal applications installed.

A few points to my system that I imagine others may in common.

* Windows 10 (Home)

* GTX 1060

* Wacom Tablet (Intuos 4)

* Colormunki Display

* Norton Security

* MS Office (365)

* PCMark 8

* 3dMark (both purchased through Steam but they were the only apps installed)

* Acronis True Image

* Drobo Dashboard

* Hp Printer

* DVD Architect

* Various RedGiant Plugins

* Video Copilot Plugins

* Logitech Setpoint

* Avid Application Manager

* Sibelius (Currently uninstalling both this as well as Avid application manager)

All my drivers are current as well as Windows updates. I can provide more detailed specs on my physical hardware if it would be useful.

The above list is a complete list of applications that have been installed on my machine to this point. I've only had the machine up and running for a couple days now so it should be a pretty clean slate.

Let me know if I can provide any other information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would run Acronis True Image manually. I have found that it is a resource hog.

Make sure you try to set up your page file.sys over more then one hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, those are great points. I do have my pagefile.sys setup over multiple hard drives, however I'd be surprised if that was an issue. Even with perfmon up my system appears to be virtually idling when I'm seeing the hangups or delay.

I'll post back after running some more tests and seeing if reverting to 2015 resolves the issue.

A few specs on my machine

Intel i7 6700k

64gigs of ram

6gig EVGA GTX 1060

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME

Samsung 500gig SSD for Application

Samsung ~240gig SSD for active work

WD 1TB black drive for User directory

Drobo 5D for Archived work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Random update if anyone is interested. After about an hours worth of testing (not extensive by any means) it seems that updating my bios helped/resolved the application load time (and hang ups). I had seen Photoshop 2015.5, Photoshop 2017, and Premier Pro 2017 each would take 5 minutes+ to load or completely hang, which would end up resulting in me needing to restart the machine to resolve (which would end in a BSoD). This was reproducible more than 50% of the time close to 2 out of every 3 times I'd launch one of the mentioned apps.

Updating my bios from v1701 to v2202 seems to have resolved that particular issue.

I am however still seeing significant delays in Photoshop 2017, specifically when using a brush. The first brush stroke may lock the ui for 5 seconds or longer. Something seems to be interfering with the UI event queue as I can stack events (multiple brush strokes and shortcut keys) and eventually they'll replay and catch up.

I do not see near this delay (using the same file and same brush strokes) in Photoshop 2015.5 (now running side by side). I have not had enough time to test anything else in Photoshop 2017 to see if this delay is global or just related to brush strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you overclocking your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting to note that my PC has nothing in common with your setup, JewellTech. Not one application. My OS is Win 10 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not, so far I have just been setting up with defaults. The most interesting change I've made is using an unattended config to have Windows set the Users directory on a separate hard drive from the install drive. I also have duel network cards (gigabit lan as well as Wireless AC) but I'm only using the gigabit LAN at the moment.

Once I have determined all of the installs are stable and get my benchmarks from there I may make other alterations (or I may not if everything is running satisfactorily)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is Adobe deleting comments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JacekPuzio wrote:

Why is Adobe deleting comments?

Why do you think they are Jacek? We receive postings to the forum not just here, but are also sent emails for the threads we are involved with. I just checked my list and your post this morning is the only one sent by you in recent days. Even when someone posts to the forum and deletes it we receive an email as that cannot be undone.

If your posts don't contain abuse or bad language and are not offensive in some way, you can say just about anything you want.

I don't know of any censorship policy at Adobe as they know it would destroy the credibility of their flagship source of information and technical help to their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a comment in reply to JewellTech 2016-12-12 15:07 yesterday and after few hours of being visible it is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your posts Jacek, you aren't  Adobe's biggest fan and I can understand why you might think your posts might be removed, but unless this happens on a regular basis you should put it down to the JIVE software powering the forum rather than anything sinister. If it does happen again send me an email here and I'll try to find out what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, yes, of course 😉

And one more thing... I was Adobe's big fan, but since Adobe has released CC 2017 im just mad that a lot of users stuck on bugged software and have to downgrade to 2015 because there is no solution. Is it so hard to say "Okay, yes, there is a lot to improve in CC 2017 - it is overloaded by useless features and published too fast. We will fix it ASAP, please temp. downgrade to 2015".? Support says that we can't configure correctly our hardware and software and that is an solution...

You say that only a small % of CC2017 is having problems with new software. You should realize that not everyone 1) know about this forum 2) have time to send feedback and report issues ... In my opinion a lot of users accepted that CC 2017 is slow and buggy and just wait for an update. Think about it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JacekPuzio wrote:

You say that only a small % of CC2017 is having problems with new software. You should realize that not everyone 1) know about this forum 2) have time to send feedback and report issues ... In my opinion a lot of users accepted that CC 2017 is slow and buggy and just wait for an update.

I think you have to have some sympathy with Adobe, and other large software developers. They put out complex pieces of software, that are regularly updated (at the demand of customers) and have to operate across multiple platforms on a very wide range of hardware configurations. Added to that are the complexities caused by user running other complex software packages that might cause issues to the host product. I used to be a developer on an IBM main-frame system and things were relatively simple. There was one type of hardware (and in fact, just one machine) and all users used a dumb terminal connected to that machine. The software either worked for all, or it failed for all.

I posted this yesterday https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2249378 

It gives my machine spec, and some timings. They were based on CC2015. After I posted it I downloaded CC2017 for the first time, and I have to say that the fast performance I get since yesterday is now even faster. My PS is flying! But, I only use my fairly high-spec desktop for PS and associated programs such as Helicon and HDR software. I also have Firefox browser on there but it's low usage, and not at the same time as PS. All of that probably explains why I'm getting such good performance. Maybe, given the ever-increasing complexity of PS it might be a good idea (if practical) to have a dedicated machine for PS? I realize that might be impractical for some people but what choice is there?

I repeat, my PS is running extremely well, better than it ever has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you  create 1200x1200 px 72dpi document, use Type tool, create text area and put "lorem ipsum" in it to cover whole document? Font Tahoma 14px for example. Then grab your mouse, and try to randomly select pieces of text, 3-4 sentences.

Any lag in CC2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JacekPuzio​ On a "working" installation like the spare PC here has, everything works fine.  If a user doesn't have the problem they can do any work in PS 2017 just like in 2015 with no problems. 

The low-spec machine here is working fine, my own workhorse with much higher-spec has the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look if there is a BIOS update for that fast machine. I have seen at least one report of someone on an i7 who had the problem solved that way-don't ask me how or why but it turned things around for him. I should say only do a BIOS update if you know what you are doing as you can completely kill your computer if it goes wrong -maybe a job for PC World or an engineer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines