Highlighted

Photoshop not resampling embeded files on @2x via Export As... Dialog

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a set of display ads. They are built with a mix of linked and embeded high resolution edit files that then have text layouts for the ads. We are now rebuilding them at 2x resolution so that they are retina-ready. When I use the Scale All > Size 2x option the text and vector objects are all sampled at twice the 
"normal" resolution and look crisp. However, the images that are embeded at a much higher resolution are not being resampled at the increased resolution. Instead, it looks like photoshop is taking the original resolution and just scaling it up instead of opening the embeded file where there is plenty of resolution. The weird part is that it seems to be inconsistent. Some exports are tack sharp, others are not. What am I doing wrong here?

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop not resampling embeded files on @2x via Export As... Dialog

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a set of display ads. They are built with a mix of linked and embeded high resolution edit files that then have text layouts for the ads. We are now rebuilding them at 2x resolution so that they are retina-ready. When I use the Scale All > Size 2x option the text and vector objects are all sampled at twice the 
"normal" resolution and look crisp. However, the images that are embeded at a much higher resolution are not being resampled at the increased resolution. Instead, it looks like photoshop is taking the original resolution and just scaling it up instead of opening the embeded file where there is plenty of resolution. The weird part is that it seems to be inconsistent. Some exports are tack sharp, others are not. What am I doing wrong here?

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 19, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give a specific example of how the file is organized, and what the pixel sizes in question are?

Export will not be aware of any embedded smart objects. It will just take the master file at face value and resample from that.

So if you export from, say, a 1000 x 750 pixel master file, that's what Export will resample from, even if you have an embedded smart object at, say, 4000 x 3000 pixels.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example the artboard for the 300x250 ad is 300x250 and has a 2701 x 1365px image embeded. The odd thing is that the first few I exported it seemed to be looking into the embeded files and getting the resolution it needed from them because they are sharp, but then I noticed after about 10 exports that stopped working and I can't see any differences in how the files are handled in those folders on that artboard.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0