Highlighted

Save for web error - Mac OS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have an issue saving gif for web with my OS to Catalina (10.15.2).

When I try to save, there's a message saying :

"Adobe save for web error. Could not complete this operation. An unknown operating system error has occured."

I tried to delete "save for web prefs.psp" but nothing has changed.

Capture d’écran 2019-12-18 à 09.57.14.png

Capture d’écran 2019-12-18 à 09.55.45.png

Topics

Bug, Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Save for web error - Mac OS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have an issue saving gif for web with my OS to Catalina (10.15.2).

When I try to save, there's a message saying :

"Adobe save for web error. Could not complete this operation. An unknown operating system error has occured."

I tried to delete "save for web prefs.psp" but nothing has changed.

Capture d’écran 2019-12-18 à 09.57.14.png

Capture d’écran 2019-12-18 à 09.55.45.png

Topics

Bug, Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 18, 2019 1
109 Replies 109
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a map image that I've sliced into separate areas, so that each can have its own hyperlink when the image is reassembled as an invisible "mosaic" on a web page. I've done this successfully with previous versions of Photoshop -- using Save for Web / Legacy to generate a folder of images slices that I then bring into a web page or wiki page for display and linking, 

Now, however, in my new installation of PS 21.01, when I try to use Export > Save for Web / Legacy to generate the component sub-images from a single image that I've sliced, all I get is an error message saying "The operation could not be completed. An unknown system error has occurred."

I need to complete this procedure for a time-sensitive project, and I was relying on Photoshop's previous dependable Export functions to meet a deadline. What's the workaround in 21.01 please? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the error you are getting in Photoshop while trying to Save for Web.

Would you mind sharing the operating system version you are using? Do you get the same error when trying to use Export As or Save As?

You can try resetting the preferences of Photoshop to check if that helps.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Please back up your actions, presets, etc. before resetting the preferences. You can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply, Nikunj.

I'm running Mac OS Mojave -- 10.14.16. That's pretty current.

I get the error with the Export - Legacy option. "Save As" is irrelevant. It offers no option for exporting Slices. All it gives me is a complete version of the source image -- which I already have. I need the divisions as individual files. That's the whole point of Slices.

I viewed the Julianne Kost video on the Reset Prefs page you referenced. Nikunj, that's ancient! It's based on PS CS6! Please get your team to generate something more current. The Photoshop Prefs folder is enormously more complex now than it was in those days.

With that said, and with Photoshop not running, I located the Save for Web prefs file and removed it from the folder, then restarted Photoshop. The change made no difference. I still got the error. Moreover, when I quit Photoshop again to replaced that prefs file, I saw that Photoshop hadn't regenerated a fresh copy. There was no replacement for the file I'd temporarily removed.

Advice on next steps would be appreciated. Thanks again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry -- typo on the OS in my previous reply. That should have read "Mac OS 10.14.6."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Nikunj.m -- Following up on previous replies: I exported the subject image to another machine, which has Photoshop 20.0.7 on Mac High Sierra OS 10.13.6. I tried making some test slices in the image, then exporting using Export > Save for Web (Legacy).

The export -- to a folder containing multiple image slices -- was successful. Behavior and resulsts as expected. No errors. 

This suggests that the bug is with Photoshop 21.x Possibly the OS version is a factor, but it seems less likely.

The Mac running on Mojave with Photoshop 21.x is still my main production machine, so I would appreciate a solution to the problem. Bucket-brigading to and from another Mac running a previous version of Photoshop is a workaround, but not a great one. Thanks again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind going to the System Preferences for Mac then navigate to Security and Privacy > select the Privacy Tab > Select Accessibility from the list on the left and add Photoshop to the list? Once done, restart the computer to check if that helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately – Catalina does not let me add both Photoshop 2020 AND Photoshop 2019 to Security and Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility. It's absurd. I can't use Photoshop 2020 because it + Catalina make it impossible to use my Wacom/Cintiq due to an 8-10 sec lag. I have to use Photoshop 2020 for other applications. But I mean, seriously, how did these kind of problems happen? I just don't understand what's going on with testing at Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an update for a workaround yet? I get this error on every single file now if I try to save for web. This is also not allowing me to export gifs, which I need to do for my job. This only started happening when I updated Photoshop. If there is no workaround, how can I revert back to an old version of Photoshop? I have had a ridiculous amount of errors because of this update. PLEASEEEE HELPPPPP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi marinam48419036 - Can you confirm you are running Photoshop Version 21.0.3?

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with me. I don't know why, but some files works with save for web, and some don't. I've made a animated gif from a movie in AE, and opened in photoshop to correct some things, and when I try to export save for web, gives me the Error. The file is small, 450x500 px, with no more than 5 basic colors, the animation has 1 second, and the file has 174kb. So it´s not big.
If I open a single image from other file, and try to export, it works! So, for me it works sometimes with some files, and others don't. It´s extremaly frustrating work with this new version o PS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i have the same problem unfortunately... i'm using MAC OS Catalina and latest version of photoshop

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error here... (OS and PS up to date)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience.

Would you mind going to the System Preferences for Mac then navigate to Security and Privacy > select the Privacy Tab > Select Accessibility from the list on the left and add Photoshop to the list? Also, if you are using macOS Catalina, grant Photoshop permissions to the Files and Folders then restart the computer to check if that helps.

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikunj, 

I'm having the same issues. V21.0.3, macOS Mojave 10.14.5.

I just tried your solution with no luck - is there another workaround?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem same eror -

Adobe Photoshop CC 2019   version 20. 0. 4

Mac Os Catalina 10.15.2

it realy kills all work pleasure - how to fix it? anyone helps  Please!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue now on all of my files. Everytime I try to save for the web, I get that error message. I have followed all of the suggestions you provided, including adding photoshop in the system's accessibility. I restarted my iMac, and when I tried saving for web, I still recieved the error message. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Cannot export "Save for Web/Legacy." Big problem for me because I teach Photoshop classes and this is a part of what I teach. I've tried every fix mentioned on this site. I've reinstalled preferences, running latest mac operating system, latest version of Photoshop, etc.

Same error. Every time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2020 2
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Always get the error 😞 

I have the latest Adobe CC Photoshop and Catalina version installed on my mac. 

Please fix it, Adobe! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 2
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as above users here.  Really frustrating. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone got a solution for this? Is still happening to me! Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everone,

I have an issue saving gifs for web with my photoshop. I recently updated my OS to Catalina.

When I try to save the gif, there's a message saying

"Could not complete this operation
An unknown operating system error has occurred."

I've uninstalled and reunstalled my photoshop but it stilll didn't work. and I also resetted PRAM but it still didn't work. I've also reduced the image size but it didn't work. I also resetted photoshop preferences It didn't help. This problem happens after I updated my OS to Catalina. I've googled it but I couldn't find solution. If anyone knows how to solve this problem that would be really helpful, thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2019 3
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That isn't a great user experience as Photoshop is crashing when using the Save for Web command, we're sorry to hear about this. Let us help make it right.

Could you try resetting Photoshop's preferences & see if it helps? 
https://t.co/ulJI7cGn1G

You may want to backup your settings beforehand: 
https://t.co/4dX7gkr36D

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this too, and it didn't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the suggestion mentioned below by NB__colourmanagement helped the cause? Let us know so that we may help with further troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 24, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure that all of us having this problem (me included) have attempted to save files to a variety of different folders, and even folders on other drives. OUR settings and preferences aren't the problem. This is obviously a problem within Photoshop and related to Mac OS Catalina. This is also a very inconvenient problem, and it would be good if you would continue following up and invest all available resources to solve the problem. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 3
Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

maybe try saving to a new location, it could be that the destination folder is locked or has the worng permissions.

to repair permissions on a mac have alook at Apples help pages.

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I've tried many things like restarting, changing preferences, even reinstalled it but it is the same issue whenever I try to Export Save for Web(Legacy).

Anyone have any solution?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I have updated Photoshop, Catalina, and I have followed instructions on other threads to reset various aspects of my computer and preferences. I am putting this in so that someone from Adobe sees the issue and actually does something about it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issu. This is INSANE , I'm freaking out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, what is the version of Photoshop ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I am ahving the same problem. I am using Photoshop CC 2019. I try to export using Save for Web (Legacy) but it gives me the same error. I tried using a windows computer too but it did not work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same problem and using the most current photoshop, 19.1.0.  I weekly have to save images for the web and then now it will not work.  Thought my file might be corrupt, but tried several I made legacy jpegs for and I get the same error.

I then thought it was maybe a memory problem, so purged lots of files to free up space.  Still same error.

This is a big problem for since I just updated to Catalina 10.15.2

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2019 0
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

19.1 is not the most current update to Photoshop. The current update is 21.0.2 and this issue is resolved in that version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You keep telling people to use the latest Photoshop upgrade, and to reset preferences. THIS IS NOT SOLVING THE PROBLEM! I've tried every single one of the suggestions from both Adobe and the support forum, and nothing works. Still cannot use Save for Web feature, and the "Export As," while usable, is very limited. Come ON Adobe! Get on this. Someone said the Save for Web feature was legacy and no longer supported. Is this true? And if so, was the upgrade to Mac OS Catalina the straw that finally ended it? Please don't tell me to trash old preferences or make sure I'm using the latest versions. I assure you that I am. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2020 3
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.0.2 - CC 2020

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am ahving the same problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error appears today in my MacBook Pro, when I choose to Export -> Save for Web -> set for JPG, GIF or PNG -> Save, shows the following error message. I already delete the files Adobe Save For Web CC 2018 and Adobe Save For Web CC 2019, but remains.

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 2.14.53 PM.png

Any real solution?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the save for web error, could you please try updating Photoshop to version 21.0.2 via the Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem. Got a solution?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. It is a BUG Captura de pantalla 2020-01-14 11.25.25.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Is it widespreaded or just particular cases?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 1
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. I just finished chatting with Adobe support and was told it is a known issue with Catalina that they are working on... And I thought I'd waited long enough to update. : /

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 1
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an update it's CC2020. This issue was addressed with that update as far as I know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently having the same problem in Photoshop 2020 in Catalina. Did not have this problem with  PS 2019.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT a correct answer. I've updated to the latest Photoshop 21.0.3 and the latest Catalina, and the problem is still persisting. I tried to allow Photoshop Full Disk Access, and my machine won't allow me to add PSD to this list in Privacy (System settings). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2020 4
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a known issue with CC2019 and Catalina. The solution is to update your Photoshop to CC2020 (21.0.2)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same issue with photoshop CC 2020. Anyone has a solution ?

I work on Mac Catalina 10.15.2

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2020 1
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you run all available updates for Photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated it to the latest version and now works perfectly!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2020 1
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still not working for me too...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Community Professionals,

Please read all the comments. I, along with many others in this thread and elsewhere, have tried everything – and still get this same annoying error. I always run every update, and have in this case too. For Catalina and for Photoshop, This is absolutely an issue with the new Photoshop. Someone needs to be straight and tell us if the Save For Web (legacy) version is Dead and Gone. I've heard this from some other people, but I'm trying not to trust it until it comes from Adobe, and I never get a straight answer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too can't solve this for the life of me. The only work around I found is: file > export > save for web legacy.... then adjust your settings to whatever you like...> click the PREVIEW button IN THE BOTTOM LEFT CORNER ...when the preview window pops up you can save the file from there by CONTROL clicking (on a mac) on the image > save image as.

Such an idiotic way to have to do this I know. It works for all file types including animated gifs.   BrowserPreview_tmp.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 3
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the ONLY workaround I've found, too. And, of course, Adobe remains silent. Since I first started using Adobe products daily in 1988 (with Illustrator '88), I've never seen a non-response like this. Or a bigger screw up. Ignoring a problem won't make it go away. This has been such a huge blunder. This adds 10 seconds to every image I process for the Web. It's like taking a step back to the mid 1990s or something. Pre-Photoshop layers, even! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 3
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this workaround but every time I get this error, insights would be appreciated!Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 3.49.57 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix that worked for me for this is to give Google Chrome full disk access in System Preferences (Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access > + > Google Chrome.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont save file directly, click on preview (bottom left) it will open the file in safari, download from there!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks, I can happily say that the latest version of Adobe Photoshop CC2020 that I updated to (21.1.2 release), and the latest updates to Catalina (now running v 10.15.4) – those 2 updates – have finally allowed the Save for Web function to work again! Yay! How long this lasts, since the Save for Web (legacy) seems to be being phased out, I have no idea. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0