• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saved PSD file re-opened with no layers and blank colored background - Need help recovering layers

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on a photoshop painting for a few hours now, with intermittant saving. I had saved it a number of times throughout my painting process. I had multiple layers with work on each layer. when my tablet pen started acting weird - No big deal - it happens every once and a while. Rather than just working with it I decided I'd just save my file, close out, restart my tablet, and keep paintng. 

When I re-opened my file it was completely empty - all my layers deleted - and the background layer was black. Everything is gone!! I'm SO confused - I've never had this happen to me - even if it had reverted to the last save AND I had never saved it throughout the whole process - the file was never a black colored background! I had even started the file on my laptop with some reference images before transfering it over to my tablet - so it HAD to atleast have the refrence images because the file didn't exist on my tablet without it. 

I thought it may be an issue with my tablet so I emailed myself the file to open it up on my laptop. When I downloaded it I was relieved because the thumbnail image had my work!! I could see everything I had done before restarting. BUT - when I opened the file it was the same as it had been on my tablet - no layers, no work, just a black background layer. I can tell it MUST still have my work hiddin in the file somewhere because of the thumbnail - but also the file is big! Way bigger than a blank PSD file. 

PLEASE HELP! This is so weird and I'm nervous to even start a new project because it may just crash and lose all my work anyway! How can I get my work back??

Any suggestions are deeply appreciated!!

(If you've seen this post before it's because I posted this an hour ago and someone reporded it as spam - I don't know why. I'm seriously struggling you guys lol and am desperate for any help on recovering my file)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kindly reinstall your version. Probably your problem will be fixed.

SunNy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled, restarted my computer, and re-installed and nothing's changed 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

 

Same thing happened with me!! So frustrating 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Check this out - https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/how-do-i-restore-lost-layers-layers-disappeared-replaced-by...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no I'm so sorry 😪😪😪 I spent hours on the phone with adobe and tried countless file recovery websites and nothing ever worked. It happened to me again like 5 days later and I called adobe again - apparently my tablet was too old and incompatible with the software updates???? I ended up buying a display 😳 it was about time for me to swap out for a new one anyway but I know that's definitely not the solution ANYONE is looking for. I still have my lost files though 😪 if you ever find a real solution let me know lol I'd love to recover it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mine just did the same. I saved it last night and opened it today with nothing but a black background. I have an XP-pen 24-inch tablet and a pretty beefy PC, I think this must just be an adobe glitch??? I checked it saved last night before I shut down my PC but it must have corrupted or something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines