• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is the New Layer button? [was: If I knew where to find it, I wouldn't have a question!]

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm a longtime Photoshop user....but things have changed.  I went to Adobe help to look up how to create a new layer since where I expect to be able to do....it's greyed out.

They tell me.

"To create a layer with default name and settings, click the New Layer button in the Layers panel. ...

1. To create a layer and specify a name and options, choose Layer > New > Layer, or choose New Layer from the Layers panel menu."

So, what is a "new layer" button??? I find nothing that says "new layer" and decipher icons is not my forte.

I have this problem with MOST of Adobe help.  It doesn't help me if it doesn't tell me exactly where it is I'll find what ever it is I'm looking for.  I think the help is pretty useless because it assumes you know what all Adobe's terms refer to.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a source that will actually help me figure out how to put down a new layer without wasting hours????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 8.53.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dude.

is it really that hard?

what's your next question, "how do I exit Photoshop"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm of the mindset that no question is a bad question. Keep it kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding your penultimate question, I suggest it would save your frustration if you got some basic Photoshop training. You state you are a long-term user, yet you didn’t even know how to create a new layer (like most actions in Photoshop, there are a number of ways). There‘s personal training provided at colleges and companies and some excellent books, such as the Schoolroom in a Book series. Also there are the wonderful online video tutorials in the Creative Cloud App (free) and at Lynda.com (you can get 30-days free access).

Of course, for particular questions you can return to this friendly user-to-user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek's suggestion to take some training would go a long way in easing your frustration. However, that said, I have to agree with you that Adobe's help instructions would benefit from a lot more screen captures to show exactly where things are located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question is an interesting one. I notice that the one detailed reply answered the question "how do I create a new layer" but did not deal with the language in the help instructions. In fact, the button in the screen shot is a THIRD way, not mentioned in the help. Understanding the simple, but technical, way Help is written may help you in other situations so let's what see that instruction is telling you. The help text is detailed, accurate and complete but you need to know how to read it.

You quote "choose Layer > New > Layer, or choose New Layer from the Layers panel menu." and ask "So, what is a "new layer" button??? "  But do you see the word "button" in those instructions? It isn't about buttons.

1. When you see something written as Thing > Something > Else this is an instruction to use the main app menu. On a Mac, it's the menu along the top of the screen. On Windows, it's the menu along the top of the main window. Using the menu has become unfashionable, people expect everything on buttons, but Photoshop uses them less than many apps.  So Layer > New > Layer means to do this:

Notice it also gives you a keyboard shortcut Shift+Ctrl+N you can use if you have to do this a lot.

2.Panel menus are found in Photoshop and many other Adobe apps, but aren't a universal thing. Knowing how to get them is really important, and is not at all obvious:

I hate this! I like buttons to have words on them. But there it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who like buttons, click on the icon at the bottom of the Layers pallet to create a new blank one or drag an existing layer on top of it to duplicate it.

button.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cougartoo  wrote

I went to Adobe help to look up how to create a new layer since where I expect to be able to do....it's greyed out.

HiCougarToo,

What is your usual method to create a new layer? There are many ways, and it’s okay if you only know one when there may be six or eight.

Since it was greyed out, that’s what we need to address, though. What mode are you in? Some modes, such as Index, do not allow new layers and the image needs to be converted to RGB first.

If you don’t see the issue, show your Layers panel so we can troubleshoot.

Is it only this file? Can you create a new layer with your usual method in a new file?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect even experienced Photoshop users sometimes struggle to find an effect or function they have not used for ages, and when that happens to me, I use the new(ish) Photoshop Search function, which is in the top right corner of the workspace.

In your case, you  should perhaps turn on Rich Tool tips in Preferences (I think it is turned on by default.

So that hovering over icons causes a pop up telling you what they are

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines