• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 2022 Freezes Almost Constantly

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I am using Premiere Elements 2022 and it freezes with almost anything I try to do on it.  I was previously using Elements 14.  I'm guessing the problem is probably is that my processor is an i3 and not an i6 or above like the specs say.  However, this is the first time I'm trying to use the 2022 version.  Will it improve as I use the program?  Is there anything I can do to improve the performance of Premiere Elements 2022 (short of a computer upgrade)?  Thanks for your time and help!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that it's too much for an i3 processor. But it could also be something else.

What happens if you open a new project and add five or six photos to it? Does the program constant freeze then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Thank you for your reply.  I tried closing the program and adding six photos to it.  The photos imported quickly but when I went to drag a photo to the work space it froze on me.  Is there anything else I should try?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the pixel size of the photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Thank you for your reply.  I didn't check the size of the photos.  I did try different photos though and got the same result for all of them.  I checked the size of a couple of the photos and they were 1960 x 4032.  I get the same freezing when I do video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other information...

Mac or Windows and exact version of the operating system

Amount of computer memory (RAM)
Video adapter brand and model and driver version and amount of video ram
Number and size and type of hard drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with John. There's something something wrong somewhere. It's possible your i3 can't handle the program -- but the program, doing something as editing a few photos, should not choke so easily. Especially if you were able to edit video with version 14, which isn't that much different of a program.

Assuming you're on Windows 10, open Settings and look under System/About. That should give you detailed information on your processor and RAM and Operating System and version. Share that with us as well as the other information John asked for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some cases on this forum the solution to this has an audio setting.  For some reason, audio processing can overload and bring the project to a crawl.  Try setting the Default Audio Input to "No Input".  

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill - Thank you for your response.  I will try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill - I checked and that was already set to No Input.  Thanks for the idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John & Steve - Thank you for your replies.  Here is the information that you were asking about:

OS & Version - Windows 10 Home - 21H1, OS Build 19043.1415

RAM - 8.0gb

Video Adapter Details - Intel HD Graphics 4400, Driver Date - 8/16/18 - Version - 20.19.15.5058

Hard Drive Details - One hard drive (non solid state) - 1 tb in size

Please let me know if I left out any information or if you need any other information.  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating the graphics driver either from the computer manufacturer's site or from the Intel site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Thank you for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don't see any information on which exact processor your computer is using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops sorry, my processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some settings in Preferences > General that might make a difference.  Change them to whatever they are not!

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.  I will try this.  I'm sorry that I'm late in responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Sorry I'm super late in trying this.  I changed Use Hardware Acceleration and Time Line Render Quality but was unable to change Use GPA Acceleration Effects as it was greyed out and said my computer didn't support it.  The program is still freezing.  Just wondering if you or anyone else had any other ideas.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but 8 GB of RAM with an i3 CPU may not be enough computer for video editing.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Thank you for your reply.  The thing is I can run Premiere Elements 14 just fine.  I realize that different versions have different requirements.  Are the requirements for Premiere Elements 2022 vastly different from Premiere Elements 14?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 does need a more powerful computer than 14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that makes sense.  Thanks for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you ever resolve your 2022 version freezing? I am having the same problem and I have an i7 processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue, I have an i9 14900k, an RTX 4080 and 64GB of DDR5 4800MHz RAM, also had the issue on my i7 12700k CPU with same other specs....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue, I have an i9 14900k, an RTX 4080 and 64GB of DDR5 4800MHz RAM, also had the issue on my i7 12700k CPU with same other specs....

By @CJtheRocker

This topic goes back awhile!   There are several things to check including your audio hardware settings, GPU settings and render quality.   Which ones have looked at or changed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines