• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Videos from iPhone keep coming out jittery

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Premiere Elements and to video editing.  I keep having the same frustrating issue with my videos, which is that at a certain point some clips will suddenly start to look jerky (In Premiere), like it's a bad effect from an old 80s music video.  And I can't get rid of it. Here are two examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iuxCJ5LcKo

Look at :29 or 1:02 where I've spliced in an alternate take and the alternate is all jumpy.   

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDxRsh3pPyo/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link 

Half way through it switches to a film of my screen and it gets jumpy, same issue, alittle harder to see but the source video was fine. 

In all cases, the MOV source videos I'm pulling off my iPhone (I copy them to my PC via USB) look great on my phone and run off my PC, and then look great when I *first* pull them into PE.  But at a certain point some videos start to look jerky *in the program*...and then they export jerky.   

I haven't been able to diagnose it, but again I'm new to all this.  There are no FX applied, it just happens, seemingly inpredictably, and once it's happened I can't undo it, I have to replace the file ... very frustating.  I've looked on line and I think I've matched all the settings (frame rate, rendering)...it just seems weird that it seems to just happen.  

Any idea what's going on?  This issue joins a lot of other compaints I have with the program, but those are more around non-intuitiveness (wacky snap conrol, linking text boxes) and this is by far the worst and most frustrating,  Any help appreciated. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of the program are you using on what operating system?

Are your video clips HEVC video? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve--

Thanks so much for your reply.  

I am running premiere Elements 2020 on a w10 PC laptop. 

I am filming videos on my iPhone X and then connecting w/ USB to the PC and manually going into the iPhone and grabbing the MOV video -- quicker than uploading and I hate iTunes.  (I literally search the iphone for that day's date to find the videos.)

I don't know if they are HEVC videos.  Here is an example file's properties in windows:  

martinborsanyi_0-1597357069911.png

Here is a link to that file if it helps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g20gvicv4qm2bzs/IMG_5027.MOV?dl=0

Thanks again for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the footage is variable framerate convert to constant framerate with Handbrake before bringing into Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Ann, thanks -- see my above reply, not sure if you can tell.  it's just a MOV file from my iPhone X.  Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Variable framerate and H.265. Both a pita to edit.

HandBrake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But...but...that's my iPhone's native format!!! (he screamed incredulously)  So how do most creators work with iPhone video?...is it becasue I'm grabbing it direct, if I export/shared it it would process it?  Seems odd/wrong  that everyone has to process their iPhone vidoes first before using Elements. 

Thanks again and thanks for reco on Handbrake!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if I convert first what format should I convert *to*?...thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my tutorial on converting video to an editable format using Handbrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve, I will try this.  

Question: would changing my Phone settings to "Most COmpatible" help as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compatible to what?

Best is just to choose. H.264 and not H.265 and constant framerate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann--  There's an iPhone camera setting that can increase compatibility vs native compressed (smaller) format I guess. 

:

martinborsanyi_0-1597430407223.png

https://www.guidingtech.com/high-efficiency-vs-most-compatible-iphone-camera-capture-setting/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all, I will try encoding everyting first in handbrake per Steve's video.

For the record 20 min of video takes about 90 minutes to encode...does everybody have to do this just to edit iPhone videos...I just find that really hard to believe.  I assume this doesnt happen on Mac...

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines