Exit

Always Nest Multicam Clips

Participant ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Version 24.1.0 there is In Developement:

Always Nest Multicam Clips

"Always insert/overwrite multicam clips as nests irrespective of the timeline setting to insert/overwrite as individual clips."

Please keep in mind that for workflows where you need to transfer the timeline eg. to ProTools it is indispensable to use the audio of a multiclip as individual clips!

So I can't see any advantage for this feature as long as I can use the timeline-setting instead. When there is no option to keep individual audio clips of a multicam in the timeline there will be a lot of work arounds to use eg. multitrack-recordings and handle audiotracks / clips independly.

TOPICS
Feature request , Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

When you send to Pro Tools via AAF, PPro will automatically flatten the multlicam.  In addition the multicam can manually be flattened by right clicking on it and selecting Multi-camera/Flatten.

We considered making this a pref, but we were trying to avoid yet another pref being added, and couldn't come up with reasons that one would ever want to insert a multicam as the component clips as opposed to the multicam.  If the above are not acceptable, can you please explain a workflow in which you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Thanks to all the feedback we have gotten on this, we have added a new preference (currently in beta) in the timeline burger menu called Multi-Camera follows nest setting.  This will revert you back to the old behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you send to Pro Tools via AAF, PPro will automatically flatten the multlicam.  In addition the multicam can manually be flattened by right clicking on it and selecting Multi-camera/Flatten.

We considered making this a pref, but we were trying to avoid yet another pref being added, and couldn't come up with reasons that one would ever want to insert a multicam as the component clips as opposed to the multicam.  If the above are not acceptable, can you please explain a workflow in which you still need to insert as component clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep in mind that for workflows where you need to transfer the timeline eg. to ProTools it is indispensable to use the audio of a multiclip as individual clips!

By @Det Scholz

In reference to the individual clips you mentioned, it's also worth noting that there is a difference between using all the audio of a multicam and using all the audio tracks from a clip's source. 

Using all the audio of a multicam would entail unpacking the multicam in your sequence (aka don't treat the multicam as a nest), which would place every single track of audio, from every single angle of the multicam, into your timeline.  If you had 3 camera angles, and each has 5 channels of audio, this would result in 15 audio channels total added to your timeline.  This would only be helpful if each of your camera angles had unique audio from the others, and you wanted all that audio to go over to ProTools, including the audio that did not correspond to the selected video angle.

Using all the audio tracks from a clip's source would be the case where you have a number of individual source production mics available in a clip's audio, and you want all of those individual channels to be added to the timeline when you cut the clip in, for example, a boom and a lav on a single actor.  If this is your workflow, your multicam clips can (and should) be built so that all their source audio tracks are mapped to individual channels which will allow them to all cut into the timeline as expected for the active angle (so using the example earlier, 5 audio channels would get cut in, not 15).  Premiere's treatment of the multicam as either a nest or individual items has no bearing on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in our production we have 5 protagonist everyone with its own mic recorded on an audio device. I think this is a normal workflow.

prepared multicamprepared multicam

After prepared the multicam-clip only keep these audio-tracks, I want to level each mic to get a good roughmix, before transfering the timeline to ProTools.

Multicam with individual audioMulticam with individual audio

How should I do level the individual mic when they are nested in timeline?

Flatten Multicam-Clips works only for video.

multicam with nested audiomulticam with nested audio

So I can't see how to put individual multicam-audio-clips in timeline in the Premiere Beta. Obviously it will be harder in the new version to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Det Scholz Yes, you are correct, the method of recording audio that you described is quite standard.

In your third screenshot, I'm noticing that only your A1 source patch is enabled, but you have A2-A5 also available and disabled.  If your multicam was in fact loaded in your source monitor when this screenshot was taken, these source patches are indicating that there are a total of five audio tracks available in your multicam to cut into your sequence (which matches your mutlicam source screenshot), but only A1 will be cut in to your sequence as per your patching.  Try enabling your A2-A5 source patches and then cut this multicam into your sequence again.

If that does not achieve what you're looking to do, then your issue may be related to how the multicam was built/configured. That said, your multicam can absolutely be configured so that all of your individual audio channels get cut into your target sequence without requiring any kind of nest/no-nest toggle.  Try enabling the patching as described above first, and if the issue continues, please share how you are building your multicams. I'm sure we can resolve any workflow speedbumps you're encountering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ben Insler ah your're right, after enabling all tracks I get all audios in the timeline (but as nested audio). Means, I can't check directly wich track of my audio-device is in the timeline. As you can see in the screenshot I use tracks 3-7 of my audio-device, after cutting into the timeline I see the multicam-tracks 1-5. This may will be confusing even you can't change the track simply in the timeline with context-menu "audio channels..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Det Scholz The workflow I'd suggest here would be to build your multicams with all your production audio tracks, and then only cut the tracks that you would like to use into your sequence.  That way your track number IDs will be consistent between your multicam and source audio.

You can see in the attached screenshots that I've built a multicam with all channels (1-6) of my production audio, but only cut in channels 3-6.  The timeline correctly identifies the used channels from the multicam in the timeline, which correspond to the source channels.

multicam_source.pngsequence.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Det, I hope the workflow suggested by Ben made the job for you cause from what I understand, it should work as you intended and for me, it has been working great for years, tunrovers to ProTools included. For more detail Jarle Leirpool did a great job of documenting this workflow overhere on his blog : https://premierepro.net/multicam/

Regarding the Always Nest Multicam Clips feature, on my end, I'm desparate to have it in the official release.

Too many times a day I have to check/uncheck the "insert and overwrite sequences as nests or individual clips" button and even worse, there's no option to create a shorcut key to this button unlike his neighbours Snap, Linked Selection, and Marker.

Eg : I'm cutting from a select reel loaded in the source monitor (and open in timeline as a source sequence), making many edits and a few moments later, while refining my edit, I will match frame my multicam clip, look around for a better bit, then insert it to realize I've inserted the content of my multicam instead of the multicam itslelf. Only because in order to insert the content of my select reel, the "insert and overwrite" button had to be unchecked. So I always have to think "am I cutting from the multicam or the select reel and is my "insert and overwrite" checked or unchecked.

So please Adobe make this feature official as soons as possible, with a preferences settings if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lbernier The feature went into 24.1 which was recently released.  Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I would say that this new feature is how we say "marmite" in the UK - people either love it or hate it. Would surely be better as a preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use multicam sequences to manage all the files recording on the same card on the same date - as a stringout for quick access and viewing. This can often be three or four hours long. 

When inserting clips into a sequence, I want them to be seen as individual clips so that I can identify them with their names in the timeline, use coloured labels to indicate talent and copy/paste effects to clips from the same source. I am also confident that the audio in my timeline is what will go to ProTools for audio post.

I understand the workaround to Right click >MultiCam > Flatten but I would need to do this repeatedly to get the same effect that I have in the 2023 software. To me, the toggle button on the timeline is an elegant option that allows flexibility for both types of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all the feedback we have gotten on this, we have added a new preference (currently in beta) in the timeline burger menu called Multi-Camera follows nest setting.  This will revert you back to the old behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Todd_Reeder 

Can you please show an example how this new  Multi-Camera follows nest setting preference works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please check out our new forum post that goes into greater detail on this

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/update-cut-in-multi-cams-as-nests-or-individ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources