• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DISCUSS: Background Auto Save now in Premiere Pro (Beta)

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are excited to announce that as of the latest Premiere Pro (Beta), auto save will now run in the background, leaving you able to edit with fewer interruptions while knowing your project data is safely backed up.

There’s nothing to turn on – auto save will now run in the background as long as you are using Premiere Pro (Beta) version 23.1 build 24 (23.1.0.24) or later.

How it works

Previously, auto save required a progress bar to appear on screen, meaning you couldn’t work until the save finished. Now, auto save will wait until there is a break in your editing, then attempt a save in the background without showing a progress bar. If you make an edit or otherwise change the state of the project, auto save will cancel leaving your work uninterrupted.

Background auto save is able to run at the same time as some common editing actions, like playback, without having to abort. If for some reason auto save hasn’t been able to complete a save for too long, it will fall back to the modal progress bar to ensure your project data is safe.

We’ve found in our testing that most editors are able to work as usual, without interruptions but with the same number of auto save files saved in the scratch folder.

How to test Background Auto Save

You can install Premiere Pro (Beta) alongside the release version of Premiere Pro. Open the Creative Cloud desktop application and open the Beta section on the left hand side, then click Install next to Premiere Pro (Beta). If you already have the Beta installed, click on the Updates section on the left hand side to get the latest build.

Background auto save will show its progress bar in the Progress panel inside Premiere Pro. Choose Window > Progress to open the panel. For many small to medium size projects, background auto save completes so quickly that you may only see a brief flash in the Progress panel.

Saving the current project

Premiere Pro has an existing preference called “Auto save also saves the current project(s)” found in Preferences > Auto Save. You can turn this preference on and when background auto save runs, it will also save your project without interrupting your work.

Feedback

We’re looking forward to your feedback after trying background auto save. Let us know here in the comments how it is working for you!

TOPICS
Feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, very helpful!

Confirming: The prog bar was ~50%, before the autosave happened...and after the save, it never starts moving again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been sitting at 50% for a while well after I've finished transcribing - auto-save has kicked in many times in that interval. Interestingly if I close and re-open the Progess panel it now says 0% with the two timelines I've transcribed as complete, but then listed again as waiting.

Pr trans prog.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also - scroll bars never go away however big the progress panel is  (Windows by the way)

NickLear_0-1670000973837.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I missing something here;

this keeps popup up.

AnnBens_0-1670429211490.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p1 "Background auto save is able to run at the same time as some common editing actions, like playback, without having to abort. If for some reason auto save hasn’t been able to complete a save for too long, it will fall back to the modal progress bar to ensure your project data is safe."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally Premiere just disappears from the screen - a sudden force quit. I can see in my projects folder that it was just attaempting a background auto-save. Most of the time the recovery file has been fine actually (telling by the filesize and by trying to use it) though this last time it was 0 KB. Win 10 Pro, Pr 23.2.0.32 Beta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scary! 

Are you auto-saving to your system's startup volume, or somewhere else (removable drive, network volume, UNC path)? 

Does this 'quick exit' behavior ever occur, while you're interacting with PPro? Or only when it's auto-saving, after an idle period? Have you noticed whether it happens when PPro is foregrounded, backgrounded, or both? 

[It's fine if you don't have firm answers for those diagnostic questions; just trying to narrow things down...]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Projects folder is on a secondary internal SSD (my D: drive). It's always
been while I'm in Premiere Pro as foreground. No real pattern as to what
I'm doing. Has only happened 3 times out of hundreds I would guess of
auto-saves so it's not common.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By any chance, does Windows think your D: drive is removable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not removable 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking; worth a shot. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature alone will make me and a lot of people leave premiere.

While I get the idea of background save, it does not solve the issue of "saving" your work.

The main issue is crashing and losing work. If the background save "waits" until you stop working, then youre going to have even more people losing work due to crashes. Premiere crashes more than any other app i've used, so I don't trust it to save my work in this manner.

The orginal thread HERE that requested this was asking for a "Live Save" feature. One that does not interupst and saves every click and every action. Like the Resolve feature. Whoever read that thread completely misunderstood what we were asking for. Or they did understand and just wanted to take the easy route...

Working in premiere is a constant anxiety attack because Im always worried it's going to crash and Im going to lose tons of work. So I don't feel inspired to do good work if it's just going to get lost anyways.

Give power to the user without making them feel distrust in the app. If i'm constantly thinking "Oh crap did I save my project?" then i'm not inspired to do my best.

Please give the original thread another look. I would hate for you guys to conitnue wasting your time on a feature that will create more issues and doesn't even address the reason why we want a new saving feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're having a tough time understanding why "no longer interrupt user while saving project" behavior, would drive you away from PPro; you're welcome to disable auto-save if you like. 

Yes, I'm familiar with that User Voice thread; PPro has no plans to implement "save every interaction the user ever makes, the moment they make it" behavior, nor was that thread the impetus for our work on background auto-save.

We understand that sense of nagging uncertainty you've describe, around having project changes saved. That's why, as covered elsewhere, auto-save will force itself to the foreground, if too many background save opportunities are missed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it's missing a lot of background save opportunities.....

Edit: so still stuck with the foreground save.

On a side not, I stopped using/testing the beta. Its so slow/sluggish. Even new project with prores clips.

23.1 is far better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bruce Bullis  Well that's just a shame because no one wants this. As stated by many people it doesn't work. If saves are being "missed", thats bad... REALLY bad. If i'm having to go back and Re-Do work that wasn't saved, that is completely unnacceptable.

If Live Save is not an option, then I think you guys have to go back to the drawing board. Or figure out how to make Live Save a thing. Because this aint it chief.

Here's another editor that found out about Resolve's Live Save. This is what people are saying. I think you guys fully do NOT understand why we want a better save feature. And I can send you maybe a couple more hundred texts that will say the same thing. Is this update for the users or is it just to say you did something about it, Bruce?

IMG_3313.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update is definitely for users, and we fully understand that many users have specifically requested background saves.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'll be honest, it doesn't seem like this is for anyone.

I'm just failing to see what problem this solves. Can you help me understand?

Also why do I keep getting banned when I'm merely asking questions? Every single time I ask a very valid question you just want to ban me. If you guys can't take questions on a forum, then don't have a forum? I'm confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Background auto-save prevents interruptions, and keeps editors focused on editing.

The band are for non-constructive personal comments, not your questions (which we appreciate).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What?? Every single one of my comments have been contructive... I have given my thoughts and examples of others giving the same thoughts. It doesn't seem like my comments have been very appreciated.

I'm just trying to help you guys understand that if you did implemnent a Live Save feature, then it would fix soooo many other bugs. Again saving means literally that. SAVING my work. Currently this will make useres lose work instead of save it.

You tell me. Does it sounds better to fix the route of the problem, or fix the many many side effects of the one problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I am going to have to post this link so you can see that the orginal post was about Live Save. And it's got hundreds of comments and Votes. I just want to know why a Live Save is impossible to create when so many of us are begging for it.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/33868042-instant-auto-save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Once again; we are aware of the User Voice request.

Our background auto-save work is completely dissociate from any "live save" functionality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources