Discuss: New Metadata & Timecode Burn-in effect

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New in Premiere Pro Beta 15.2, the Metadata & Timecode Burn-in effect replaces the existing Clip Name and Timecode effects. This new effect takes advantage of our modern graphics engine and GPU acceleration for smooth playback while also offering an array of new types of metadata that you can burn into your video whether you need a simple watermark, timecode burn-in, or detailed attributes for high-end VFX workflows.

The Metadata & Timecode Burn-in effect can display 6 types of timecode and 20 types of project metadata. Apply the effect to a single clip or to an Adjustment Layer over your whole timeline. When applied to an Adjustment Layer you can set the Source Track the effect will read. Or, leave it set to Top Clip and the effect will use whichever clip is on the highest track. If you often need to display more than one type of metadata, you can apply another instance of the effect and then create an Effects Preset containing all your instances of the effect in one easy to re-use preset.

As we continue working to finish up this new effect we may make modifications that will cause existing versions of the effect to appear offline. If this happens you will need to re-apply the effect.

Note: Metadata & Timecode Burn-in effect is not yet available on Apple silicon Macs, but will be coming soon. If you use an M1 Mac and want to test this effect, you can run the Premiere Pro Beta in Rosetta mode by opening the Beta section in Creative Cloud, finding Premiere Pro, then choosing "Open (Intel)" from the ellipses (three dots) menu.

We look forward to your feedback on this new effect. Thank you!

Metadata & Timecode Burn-in in the Effects panelMetadata & Timecode Burn-in in the Effects panel

Metadata and Timecode options in the new effectMetadata and Timecode options in the new effect

TOPICS
Feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will we be able to set an Audio track as the source?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a look at the beta and it's restricted to video tracks currently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the  question and the feedback. How do you anticipate using audio track as the source?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the audio is the 'primary' storyline - or the gospel of sync timecode when shoot was seperate sound, so useful to have that data on a burn in. Eg in a 4 cam shoot I'll often make a multiviewer with burn ins for 4*cams v tracks and 1*SEP sound audio track.

Also useful for turnover especially if stuff out of sync.

I'd start by speaking to AEs on big features that use Avid burn in tool to see what metadata they burn in. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. On some documentaries too, the audio track will be the most important track when it comes to timecode. So being able to add it to an Adjustment Layer with the option to take metadata from an audio track would be very useful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dialog is the story, visuals are eye candy.

But really, it should just be an option for those times that it's needed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that this is a great addition. There is one caveat. As with the Caption, which I think is a great tool, is this going to offer being able to use it in VR mode? That would require being able to add the Plane to sphere plugin.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattchristensen   ... so many shoots are synced from an audio track these days ... you really do need to have an audio track available to get the correct timecode for the whole sequence.

As in ... asap ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Matt,

Thanks for this explanation. I upgraded a few days ago and going to my effects panel and opening

the video folder I only have SDR Conform and Simple Text. I do not have the metadata and Burn it

effect. What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Rose

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines