• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major lag with with the Premiere Pro Interface (Timeline, Bins, Resizing Windows etc.)

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere's timeline and interface in general is just a lot slower than other NLEs and other apps like Blender. I use Premiere almost every single day so you don't really notice it until you open another NLE on your machine and see how bad its fallen behind on interface smoothness. 

Here is a 60FPS capture of me scrolling through similar timelines in Premiere and Resolve. I cropped out the top just to focus on the timeline smoothness/sluggishness. 

Premiere takes 4frames to update the scroll and often flickers waveforms and other icons as it struggles to keep up with a smooth framerate. 

Resolve's timeline renders at 60FPS. Every frame there is an update being sent to the screen. This is typical of any modern app when it it's unterface is properly omptimized to run on the GPU. 

It's not just the timeline its scrolling through a bin, its resizing windows etc. It all renders at about a 1/4 of as fast as it should in 2023. 

This stuff matters. Premiere causes eye strain because its basically it runs basically like a seizure inducing slide show. I am more tired after using Premiere than after using something that runs at a smooth consistent frame rate. Its distracting and takes you out of what you are trying to do. You make more mistakes when things aren't udating quickly enough. It generally slows you down. Things should not lag 8 frames behind your mouse with modern 4ghz multi-core setups and dedicated graphics! 

Adobe please find a way to make Premiere run as smoothly as your compretitors. Premiere needs some version of "project butter" across all its apps like Android did back in 2012. It's time. 

I have been and will probably remain a loyal customer, but the Premire lifers would love some quality of life updates and not just a superficial coat of paint on the interface. 

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics , Performance or Stability , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Hello @scrozier@NormanStormin@Aiden Soave@鑫346288560vtd, & @GregEdits,

Thanks for the bug reports. These seem similar to other bug reports on the same issue.

I'm seeing many upvotes and traffic but no involvement from Team Adobe. Let me see if I can gain some traction for the issue on behalf of the community. Are all of you still seeing this bug (like Norman), or has it subsided with any of you?

Note I might merge this bug report with another if it is the same bug.

In the meantime, please p

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
35 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug that has been constantly appearing since the end of 22 and has not been perfectly solved yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@鑫346288560vtd 
i have a more recent thread on this if you want to just go there upvote it and comment your issues specifically. theres a better chance it will help the devs there in finding the route cause
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/detailed-report-premiere-pro-2024-has-some-severe-u...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am seeing this kind of unacceptable lag in the interface and displaying images.

As an example, I am using a Multicam setup. I assembled it from 3 sequences with the relevant footage in each sequence, one sequence for each camera. This was because the camera footage had to be synced up to the footage of the main camera, and soome footage was broken up.

When recording the multicamera edits, there is a delay of anywhere from 0.5 to 2 seconds before the switch to the camera I chose. This means that the cuts are sloppy and late, and I'm having to fix them later. 

I also have been doing colour correction and seeing delays in the colour correction plugins. If I drag on a slider, the slider takes 1-4 seconds to respond. And the colour change in the GUI is correspondingly slow. Scrubbing a colour correction is utterly impossible.

As others have said, other elements like the timeline are also laggy. Even the menus take very noticable amounts of time to pop up.

This is using 3 video clips, with multiple sequences nested in each other. Up to 3 levels deep.

This is a massive step back. I remember the heady days of the Mercury Playback engine being introduced, and the night and day difference it made. Premiere was slick and smooth to use. 

Now, its not. 

At no time has Task Manager shown my CPU or GPU reaching their max capabilities. 

Memory is not being maxed out.

I have had Premiere lock up a couple of times. Each time Premiere shows as using about 16% CPU power. And shows that until I end the task. I have no idea what it was doing. 

Here are some specs of my system:

Premiere Pro 24.5.0

Windows 10.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
Nvidia RTX 2080Ti

OS and programs on NVME SSD

Footage and editing is on a RAID 5 drive array. 

Cache and temp files on NVME SSD

Monitors are 3850x2160 (main) and 2560x1440 (secondary)

Although so far I haven't attempted to stretch the Premiere interface into the second monitor.

Mod note: Edited for content. Please stay on topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @scrozier@NormanStormin@Aiden Soave@鑫346288560vtd, & @GregEdits,

Thanks for the bug reports. These seem similar to other bug reports on the same issue.

I'm seeing many upvotes and traffic but no involvement from Team Adobe. Let me see if I can gain some traction for the issue on behalf of the community. Are all of you still seeing this bug (like Norman), or has it subsided with any of you?

Note I might merge this bug report with another if it is the same bug.

In the meantime, please provide full details about your system, the source media (run the clips in question through Media Info in Tree View and post the results here), and any details about your workflow. Scott, thank you very much for the movie, by the way. See, How do I write a bug report?

I'm sorry for the frustration this has caused you.

Thanks All,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan  If I have time today I will try to update this post with a new screen recording. Things have improved sligtly with the new Spectrum UI in the beta but still a long ways to go in terms of modern UI performacne on windows (60fps should be the goal). Waveforms still flicker, zooming is still stuttery, big timelines still slow to a crawl, etc etc etc.

I haven't been in premiere as much as of late been doing a lot of AE work (which also still needs a lot of interface TLC as well). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan specifically clip comment fields seem to drag down bin performance to a crawl. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding a little more information.

I tried the latest Premier Pro beta and the jerkyness seems to be quite improved, most noticably when using multicam and doing the camera switching. 

I did find that the interface got occasionally jerky and hard to work with when I was manipulating the motion effects of a clip.

One thing with my project is that the clips are long single clips. One about 2 hours, two others about 45 mins each.

I have no idea if that could be any consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and nothing has helped so far. I'm actually thinking about cancelling my subscription and moving away from adobe. Premier has crashed on me several times recently and with the slugishness of the UI it is impossible to be productive. The UI problems happens in other adobe software too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2024 Sep 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Raphael235973958dcc,

Sorry about that. Any information you can leave the team would be most helpful. See, How do I write a bug report?

Thanks,.
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would go so far as to say 24.6 possibly destabilizes your entire system.  I've rolled back to 23.6.9 because of ongoing, project destroying bugs on 24 but i had to jump back into a 24 project this AM.  premiere immediately crashed then my entire system crashed. thankfully the client just approved fine cut so i don't have to re-enter but i'm honestly concerned that 24.6 is creating some kind of system-wide destablization... is anyone else seeing signs of that - even anecdotally?  in other words you open 24.6 projects then at some point your system force restarts?  i'm on an alienware r15. 

Votes

Translate

Translate