• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2024 Constantly Crashing

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere keeps crashing upon opening a particular feature film project that I recently inherited. The project will remain open around 20-30 seconds and then crash, even if I don't touch anything at all and let it remain idle. There's an interesting clue here that might allow somebody more technically savvy to help me out. Here's the whole deal:

After trying the usual fixes (updating my OS, updating Premiere to the latest version, and uninstalling/reinstalling Premiere), the next thing I tried was clearing the media cache. When I opened the project back up, no crashing! Things ran a bit slower because it was doing a bunch of conforming and generating peak files in the background, but everything worked. After having a 4-hour work session, I left the project open so that it could continue to create the cache files it needed to. I came back to the project an hour later, it was all done, but the program monitor was stuck and resetting the workspace wasn't fixing it, so I closed the project. When I reopened Premiere, the project crashed again! And again, and again, and again. I had a client coming the next day, so in a panic, I tried clearing the cache again so we could at least work. Once again, clearing the cache worked and, once again, once the cache files repopulated and I reopened the project, it started crashing again.

The previous Assistant Editor had synced everything using Multi-Cam, which the previous editor said was a nightmare, so she made Merged Clips (which are also a nightmare in their own right, especially when it comes to delivery, but it's working for now). She used these Merged Clips on the main timelines, but I even tried deleting the AE's Multi-Cam folder so Premiere didn't have to create cache files for those complex sequences. Still got the crashing. I could technically finish this project by continuously emptying the media cache and having Premiere repopulate, but that is 1) a pain because it makes everything slower and 2) doesn't sound like a very safe way to conduct oneself on a feature film project.

Here are my specs:

-2023 MacBook Pro
-24 GB RAM (this has been plenty on every other project I've tried to run, even playing back native 4K)

-Apple M2 Chip (which has 10 cores, I believe)

-The footage and project are on a 12TB OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini configured to RAID5 (1.3TB remaining space, so plenty there)

-The footage is all 4K .mxf files from a Sony F55. Playback hasn't been an issue at all. I play things back in 1/4 res.

Again, things ran without any major issues while the media cache files were being created, so I don't think it's a hardware performance issue. It would seem to me the problem lies in the cache files, but that whole world alludes me. Any help would be sincerely appreciated!

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Seems like an easy repro case...if we can get access to the project and media. [I've emailed you a link to private upload space.]

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like an easy repro case...if we can get access to the project and media. [I've emailed you a link to private upload space.]

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May seem obvious, but are you using any reserved characters (like *,/,\) in file or folder names?   Also, you might try duplicating the project, taking all the media offline, saving and then manually relinking...  time consuming but did solve a problem I was having on a complicated project that I was supervising...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar crashing experience, unfortunately, an attempt to reinstall the OS also failed. Ended up with a dead IMac (8core, 128G ram , 1tb Ssd) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okey Oku, more than likely there was something seriously wrong with your imac...  Have you tried restarting holding down command-R which should boot in the recovery mode...

Votes

Translate

Translate